GT Faces Indiana in the NIT

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
They do but....they lost OG Anunoby to a knee. Josh Newkirk (BG SWIIIING AAND A MISS) was not the answer at PG, James Blackmon is basically the Carmelo Anthony of college basketball and Troy Williams left for the draft early last year.

Now, Thomas Bryant is the real deal but he's trying to do the whole "I can shoot threes" audition for the league and it's not quite working. He was a potential first team AA before the season. Also didn't work out. They have talent but we matchup well and I think they may not be interested.
Well we're screwed. The Carmelo Anthony of college basketball won the natty.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couple of notes.
on Tucker (who was on campus yesterday)- he is more of a GT-OR battle now with IND probably third.
No free student tickets for NIT games. All tickets are $15 - NIT needs to get paid. (used to be $10).
Regardless of the reason it is a big break for GT to get a home game. i suspect this may have been in the works for a few days if the NIT knew IND was not going to want a home game. NIT likes it's early round games at big schools - they feel they can get more money with larger fanbases. I'd actually argue they have it backwards. i'd schedule them at mid-majors as i suspect their fans would be pumped to play a big name school in their arena and would sell them out.

GT has gotten a home game as a lower seed before. OSU wanted to play on the road rather than at home so GT got the home game in 2003. Hopefully the result is the same.

IND is a very talented team. This was a Top 15 team early in the season that beat both Kansas and UNC .
Even with Anouby out for the year they go 8 deep and change.
Their roster includes
5* SG James Blackmon
very high 4* center Thomas Bryant
high 4* wing Robert Johnson
4* PF Juwan Morgan
high 3* PG Josh Newkirk
4* PF De'von Davis

2 of their last 3 games they have shot over 58% FG and 50% 3 fG (with 12 made 3's in those 2 games).
They are really good offensively (27th in OEff) but mediocre defensively.

Also, UGA was an obvious 2 seed. They were not on the bubble, but were pretty close to it at the end of the season. They have a solid RPI and no bad losses (not alot of good wins either).

NIT tends to be all about who is more motivated to play. Those teams that really want to play tend to do well, those that are disappointed tend to go home.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Apparently there are some rule changes for the NIT including the lack of one and one free throws. Fouls will also be reset halfway thru the half and when the ball is inbounded in the front court the shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds instead of 30.

AJC Link
"The rules will essentially change the game into a four-quarter format through alterations to the bonus rules."
"Team fouls will reset to zero at the 9:59 mark of each half, and teams will start shooting free throws when the opponent accumulates five team fouls instead of the standard seven. Teams will shoot two free throws and not have a one-and-one situation."

"another rules experiment, after a personal foul by the defense, the shot clock will re-set to 20 seconds rather than the full 30 or remain the same as it was when the foul occurred, whichever is greater."

Deleted member 2897

Regardless, that's a win for Tech. Now all they have to do is beat them on the court too.

Georgia Tech is probably the worst team to ever hand over a home game to. We are the only team in the ACC with 10 road losses. 2-10 on the road, 15-4 at home. Major brain fart on their behalf. If we had a home game during spring break, I highly doubt we'd just shrug and hand it away. 9pm on a school/work night is pretty awful scheduling though. Yuck.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Couple of notes.
on Tucker (who was on campus yesterday)- he is more of a GT-OR battle now with IND probably third.
No free student tickets for NIT games. All tickets are $15 - NIT needs to get paid. (used to be $10).
Regardless of the reason it is a big break for GT to get a home game. i suspect this may have been in the works for a few days if the NIT knew IND was not going to want a home game. NIT likes it's early round games at big schools - they feel they can get more money with larger fanbases. I'd actually argue they have it backwards. i'd schedule them at mid-majors as i suspect their fans would be pumped to play a big name school in their arena and would sell them out.

GT has gotten a home game as a lower seed before. OSU wanted to play on the road rather than at home so GT got the home game in 2003. Hopefully the result is the same.

IND is a very talented team. This was a Top 15 team early in the season that beat both Kansas and UNC .
Even with Anouby out for the year they go 8 deep and change.
Their roster includes
5* SG James Blackmon
very high 4* center Thomas Bryant
high 4* wing Robert Johnson
4* PF Juwan Morgan
high 3* PG Josh Newkirk
4* PF De'von Davis

2 of their last 3 games they have shot over 58% FG and 50% 3 fG (with 12 made 3's in those 2 games).
They are really good offensively (27th in OEff) but mediocre defensively.

Also, UGA was an obvious 2 seed. They were not on the bubble, but were pretty close to it at the end of the season. They have a solid RPI and no bad losses (not alot of good wins either).

NIT tends to be all about who is more motivated to play. Those teams that really want to play tend to do well, those that are disappointed tend to go home.

Indiana is definitely the hotter team right now, winning 2 in conf tourn. Rumors about Crean didn't have them lying down. Their 3pt shooting vs tOSU looked like cuse vs us.

Hopefully our home court comes out and wills us a W.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Indiana is definitely the hotter team right now, winning 2 in conf tourn. Rumors about Crean didn't have them lying down. Their 3pt shooting vs tOSU looked like cuse vs us.

Hopefully our home court comes out and wills us a W.
Hopefully that's a result of tOSU leaving their shooters wide open too. I like our chances if we guard well, which we've done pretty consistently at home. I think our mixing D's can cause issues against Crean/Indiana on a short turnaround.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is probably the worst team to ever hand over a home game to. We are the only team in the ACC with 10 road losses. 2-10 on the road, 15-4 at home. Major brain fart on their behalf. If we had a home game during spring break, I highly doubt we'd just shrug and hand it away. 9pm on a school/work night is pretty awful scheduling though. Yuck.
8pm might be better, but from a student/fan perspective, it's better than trying to beat traffic for a 6pm or 7pm game. As a student, I was just starting to study at 9pm.

Here in Chicago, it is an 8pm start, so I'm pumped. Enough time to put the kids to bed and settle in. I just hope we have good officiating.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Why does this all feel like another NCSU game....where we thought the opposing coach had lost his team and they would be on cruise control and not care, and then their talent beat our talent? Hope I'm wrong! I'll be there....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IND has definately not quit. They have played some good ball down the stretch. This is going to be a very difficult game. Not an easy game to win.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i could be wrong but i do think 'fresh' legs makes a huge difference with our team AND the fact that cjp/staff does a great job of preparing a game plan on the first go around with an opponent. as was mentioned in the ajc our 2nd game with the teams we beat end up being much tougher. no surprises.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm pretty sure postseason prices are set by the tournament. Hewitt did the same thing for us in 2003 when we hosted Ohio State.

Prices are set by the NIT.

FWIW, Ohio St was another NIT game where GT was the lower seeded team. OSU wanted a road game so GT ended up getting to play them at home - and won.