GT Faces Indiana in the NIT

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, they can't attend regular season games for free; it's part of their activities fee. The NIT games are not included as part of the activities fee, so they would either have to pay extra, not go, or depend on the grace of someone like CJP
The activities fee is mandatory, so for all intents and purposes, games are free -- no additional out-of-pocket expense, especially if mom and dad are paying the bills. Only part-time students can opt out of activity fees (unless they've changed that).

At most other schools, games are extra, over and above the activities fee.

Someone on the AJC blogs posted an interesting question. Does anyone here have an answer? The post was: "Question....are GT's scholarship student-athletes allowed to take Pastner up on this offer or is it considered an impermissible benefit? Don't need Parker Braun et al missing the Tennessee game"

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple of notes.
on Tucker (who was on campus yesterday)- he is more of a GT-OR battle now with IND probably third.
No free student tickets for NIT games. All tickets are $15 - NIT needs to get paid. (used to be $10).
Regardless of the reason it is a big break for GT to get a home game. i suspect this may have been in the works for a few days if the NIT knew IND was not going to want a home game. NIT likes it's early round games at big schools - they feel they can get more money with larger fanbases. I'd actually argue they have it backwards. i'd schedule them at mid-majors as i suspect their fans would be pumped to play a big name school in their arena and would sell them out.

GT has gotten a home game as a lower seed before. OSU wanted to play on the road rather than at home so GT got the home game in 2003. Hopefully the result is the same.

IND is a very talented team. This was a Top 15 team early in the season that beat both Kansas and UNC .
Even with Anouby out for the year they go 8 deep and change.
Their roster includes
5* SG James Blackmon
very high 4* center Thomas Bryant
high 4* wing Robert Johnson
4* PF Juwan Morgan
high 3* PG Josh Newkirk
4* PF De'von Davis

2 of their last 3 games they have shot over 58% FG and 50% 3 fG (with 12 made 3's in those 2 games).
They are really good offensively (27th in OEff) but mediocre defensively.

Also, UGA was an obvious 2 seed. They were not on the bubble, but were pretty close to it at the end of the season. They have a solid RPI and no bad losses (not alot of good wins either).

NIT tends to be all about who is more motivated to play. Those teams that really want to play tend to do well, those that are disappointed tend to go home.
Gotta tell ya' R. R. you always have good info concerning Tech competitors. The 58% FG avg. and 12 made 3's in the last 2 out of 3 games are an eye opener. For what ever it's worth , sometimes Tech doesn't defend 3's well. We have to play "very well" to win.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Someone on the AJC blogs posted an interesting question. Does anyone here have an answer? The post was: "Question....are GT's scholarship student-athletes allowed to take Pastner up on this offer or is it considered an impermissible benefit? Don't need Parker Braun et al missing the Tennessee game"
My understanding is that since it is a benefit offered to non SAs, then it is permitted. If I were a SA, I would verify with compliance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ NIT tends to be all about who is more motivated to play. Those teams that really want to play tend to do well, those that are disappointed tend to go home.

Agree 100%. The top 68 or so teams go to the NCAA. The rest in the NIT are generally comparable.

I don't really like basketball but I love this guy. If in town, I'd go and pay.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The bear is getting up by 5:30 or 6:00ish Wednesday morning, especially if attending the game.

Feel your pain brothah. I gotta get from Raleigh to wilmington by 7:30-8. Luckilly, Im minimally supervised......

"Nah I was on site before 9......."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Feel your pain brothah. I gotta get from Raleigh to wilmington by 7:30-8. Luckilly, Im minimally supervised......

"Nah I was on site before 9......."
At least I-40 is complete... Lived in Raleigh back in the 90's well before it was completed to Wilmington. That's a long commute if doing regularly.