GT Bowl Projections

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What's kind of crazy is that if CU loses to vpi on Saturday, then the CFP committee might choose choose both tOSU and UMich, neither of whom even played in their conf championship game. Though, I would hope that either CU would still get it or the winner of OK/OK St.

There are a lot of what ifs at this point. I don't have a problem with ESPN or others making predictions. I don't have a problem with threads like this that ask what ifs. It just seems to me that too many people take it too seriously. At this point it is pure conjecture. We don't know for sure who is going to be available for the tier 1, and then tier 2 bowls. We don't know who from the other conferences will be available for those bowls. We don't know what drives the interest of the bowl organizers, or what potential matchups might drive some kind of intrigue with those bowl organizers. The bowl selections usually have some surprises for the prognosticators, and I am reasonably certain there will be surprises this year.

My take on this thread is that we can look at potential matchups. Some would like to play Kentucky. Some would like to play Houston, others wouldn't. Some would like to play Nave, others wouldn't. However, don't start making travel plans just yet.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
You say that, but the TaxSlayer bowl kicks off at 11:00 AM, so that will actually lower our average start time

That would be pretty funny… Throw out the Thursday night game and it could possibly bring our average into the AM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@megatron
I disagree. I will grant Ireland and the Orange Bowl were decent showings and proof of improvement. 2014 ACCCG, meh....I was there and I'd call the crowd OK but nothing to write home about. Maybe Tech deserves credit for some improvement here but over a decade of bad reputation for traveling isn't quickly reversed.

Animal02

Banned
It doesn't work that way any more. When things were renegotiated for the CFP, The ACC Bowl tie-ins were set up as: Orange Bowl first(highest remaming after CFP), Russell Athletic(and possibly Cirtrus) second, one tier of bowls then negotiates with the teams and the conference to get the "best" matchups, a second tier of bowls then conducts the same type of negotiations with the remaining teams. There are NO guarantees except that the conference championship loser will not fall below the Sun Bowl. GT could be selected for the Russell or Citrus(unlikely), or fall all the way to the bottom tier. It is all about ratings and money.
I know there are no guarantees.....but the fact is that Tech is behind seven mother's, and the bowls are looking for quality match ups.....the fact is that Tech will likely fall into the 7,8, or 9 slot of selection. Tech is not going to land in a much better bowl when there are teams like Pitt, Miami, and UNC......and with an 8-4 record, will not likely fall below the 6-6 teams

Animal02

Banned
That's what I was thinking, but apparently there's a "decide amongst yourselves" policy for both tier 1 and tier 2 bowls. So, iiuc, the ACC doesn't say that this is our ranking but these are our top 4 or whatever, these are next 4. So, we'll see how things shake out after Saturday.
The Tier I, from what I have read, is a group decision....Tier II, is an ordered selection starting with Military, then Independence, Detroit and then St. Pete.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The Tier I, from what I have read, is a group decision....Tier II, is an ordered selection starting with Military, then Independence, Detroit and then St. Pete.

Again, that was my interpretation of what I read as well, but apparently it's wrong because there are projections of us to taxslayer.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Does Pitt actually have a larger fanbase than we do? They are completely empty for pretty much every home game. I doubt they can travel better than we can.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
If we do go to the Taxslayer, I'd prefer Arkansas over Kentucky. Nothing against KY, but, if we beat them then its a "well, they're just the SEC-East, you didn't play the mighty SEC-West". Whereas, if we beat Arkansas, the SEC apologists (e.g. ESPN) would have to come up with a new (and probably, entertaining) explanation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we do go to the Taxslayer, I'd prefer Arkansas over Kentucky. Nothing against KY, but, if we beat them then its a "well, they're just the SEC-East, you didn't play the mighty SEC-West". Whereas, if we beat Arkansas, the SEC apologists (e.g. ESPN) would have to come up with a new (and probably, entertaining) explanation.

I want Arkansas because Bielema was the coach at Wisconsin when they took a committed recruit from us by talking crap about GT.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I want Arkansas because Bielema was the coach at Wisconsin when they took a committed recruit from us by talking crap about GT.

Perchance you forgot that he took a QB commit from us while at R-Kansas by promising him a shot at QB there ... only to move him to DB/WR/RB/bench thereby wasting the guy's career?

Yeah, there'd be a history there if we faced them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Perchance you forgot that he took a QB commit from us while at R-Kansas by promising him a shot at QB there ... only to move him to DB/WR/RB/bench thereby wasting the guy's career?

Yeah, there'd be a history there if we faced them.

Damon Mitchell. Yep...another thing we owe that guy for.

Animal02

Banned
Again, that was my interpretation of what I read as well, but apparently it's wrong because there are projections of us to taxslayer.
Depending on the selections above us.... specifically if the ACC gets a Citrus spot, that will likely move Tech into Tier I group....and Jacksonville probably the best location for Tech.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Depending on the selections above us.... specifically if the ACC gets a Citrus spot, that will likely move Tech into Tier I group....and Jacksonville probably the best location for Tech.

I give up trying to figure it out. I thought getting a Citrus spot was tied to not getting an Orange spot so no change. I'll punt on 3rd down and just wait.