GT Bowl Projections

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We already have a playoff prelim system in place for the P5 conferences- Round1- win your division, Round 2- win your conference. Unfortunately there are 5 power conferences so they really need to expand the format to 6 teams and take the 6th highest ranked team after the 5 champs.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well while all the talking heads offhandedly say Alabama is the clear #1, you could make an argument that Ohio State has a better resume. In fact I started one on Saturday Down South on Sunday after the AP poll came out but *before* the CFP rankings...

Ohio State should jump Alabama in this week's CFP rankings.
That's right because the Buckeyes went 3-1 verses the Top 8 teams in the country, and whipped #23 for good measure (latest AP poll). Toughest 5-pack of opponents in the country by far.

What has Alabama done?
-Barely escaped losing to Ole Miss who won't even go bowling.
-Eked out a W over #21 LSU.
-Beat an overrated #18 Auburn whose ONLY quality win is a last second reprieve over #21.
-oh yeah they whipped #10, but it was the first game of the season so you can pretty-much throw that one out. Congratulations on "going undefeated" against that soft schedule, but hopefully the committee will see through the bs and put OSU in the top spot...

But of course now the latest CFP has overrated Auburn, LSU, and inexcusable Tennessee is still in there. Disgusting SEC favoritism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we were the only undefeated team out of the P5, would you make a similar argument?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Washington, Clemson, and Penn St. all win their conferences and they put Ohio St in over Ped. State. It's really going to blow up the system. Just my opinion but i think Ohio st gets left out in that scenario, they lost to Psu head to head, and by then they will have one fewer game than Psu, plus Psu will have added a very high quality win to it's resume/strength of schedule by beating Wisconson.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Right now I'm saying we're in the Tax Slayer

SEC does something similar with divvying up the teams internally. Alabama is in CFP no matter what, Florida or Auburn will end up in Sugar and Citrus no matter what. So actually that leaves:

Tennessee
Georgia
LSU
A&M
Arkansas
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

SC and Vandy will be the last two, so Bimingham and Independence. I think it's safe to safe Tennessee is out because of the first game next year, and Georgia is out because we just played them. So LSU, A&M, Arkansas, or Kentucky.

Honestly I think it will be A&M or Arkansas. Any preference if it plays out like that?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
If Washington, Clemson, and Penn St. all win their conferences and they put Ohio St in over Ped. State. It's really going to blow up the system. Just my opinion but i think Ohio st gets left out in that scenario, they lost to Psu head to head, and by then they will have one fewer game than Psu, plus Psu will have added a very high quality win to it's resume/strength of schedule by beating Wisconson.

Yep plus Pitt would give Ohio st a run for their money. Penn st best win is ohio st after that I'm not exactly sure....temple maybe. I hate having the human element picking the CFP teams. It needs to be played out on the field.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

SEC does something similar with divvying up the teams internally. Alabama is in CFP no matter what, Florida or Auburn will end up in Sugar and Citrus no matter what. So actually that leaves:

Tennessee
Georgia
LSU
A&M
Arkansas
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

SC and Vandy will be the last two, so Bimingham and Independence. I think it's safe to safe Tennessee is out because of the first game next year, and Georgia is out because we just played them. So LSU, A&M, Arkansas, or Kentucky.

Honestly I think it will be A&M or Arkansas. Any preference if it plays out like that?
I wouldn't mind any of those teams. Lsu would probably be the hardest for us. The rumors are though that the Kentucky AD is lobbying hard for the TaxSlayer bowl though cause it doesn't overlap with a Kentucky basketball game

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
"...Disgusting SEC favoritism"
If we were the only undefeated team out of the P5, would you make a similar argument?

Would I? If GT was undefeated? Nah man of course not.

But given similar circumstances you certainly could. In fact at this point last year the talking heads looked past Alabama's one loss (11-1) while discounting Iowa's perfect record (12-0). This year the situation is reversed but nobody's questioning the Tide.

This argument is off-topic anyway. I'm just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm in favor of the championship playoff being built on championships. If the goal is to find the BEST team, then no system based on playoffs will answer that question.

As it stands now, if Bama loses to UF, then they're still in without any huge win and without winning their conference. However, if CU loses, then the ACC is out probably to put to B1G teams in, neither of whom won their conference and who have fewer wins than CU.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yeah, but the media isn't pushing Penn St. The media dictates who's in and who isn't. Why you'll NEVER see a championship with an SEC in there.

Personally, the best way to do it is to have 8 teams. 5 automatic bids for the P5 champs. 3 at large bids. Teams like Western Michigan deserve a shot, as much as anyone else. Let them in. If Ohio State gets in this, so be it. But reward non P5 schools for going undefeated.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, but the media isn't pushing Penn St. The media dictates who's in and who isn't. Why you'll NEVER see a championship with an SEC in there.

Personally, the best way to do it is to have 8 teams. 5 automatic bids for the P5 champs. 3 at large bids. Teams like Western Michigan deserve a shot, as much as anyone else. Let them in. If Ohio State gets in this, so be it. But reward non P5 schools for going undefeated.
agree with this. id give one at large to the best G5 team unless the best has multiple losses, but undefeated, then u bet they should get in

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Antonio Simmons just said on his FB that the game will be in Jax.
He was trying to get a head count of his friends and family for tickets.
Take it for what it's worth.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It is ALL conjecture at this point. The prediction is FSU to the Orange. However, if VT beats Clemson, then: Clemson will not be in the CFP, VT will be in the Orange, and Clemson will upset the remaining "predicted"order. The same thing is true with other conferences. As such, if a "compelling" matchup would have been made between say Miami and another team, and the other team isn't available because of their conference bowl situation, that bowl might pass on Miami for another team with at better potential matchup. No matter who the bowls have looked at, and what prognosticators believe, we will not know anything with any degree of certainty until Sunday.
And this is one time all of us should be rooting for Clemson no matter how hard that is for you

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Tennessee
Georgia
LSU
A&M
Arkansas
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Tax slayer guys are not looking at a&m or LSU from what I understand.