GT Bowl Projections

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You are correct... This is all with the bet that the OB takes a BIG10 team (Michigan, Wisco, or PSU), I do think that UNC could go to the SUN as on their website they list PITT or UNC. Also VT will be playing in Orlando for the ACCCG, so I can see UM taking the RA Bowl slot and VT taking the Belk or Gator bowl slot...

What I do not know is who the Pinstripe wants, If they want PITT then GT has hope, if not GT to the Pinstripe (I do not like NYC in December brrr), and if the OB somehow decides to bypass the BIG10 for Florida or Auburn (not sure why they would), than I do see GT in the Military bowl hands down!! They said they want us and it is the best of the rest!!
UNC-sun
VT- belk
PITT-pinstripe
UM- RA
GT- gator

This would be my guess on what will end up happening

Animal02

Banned
You are correct... This is all with the bet that the OB takes a BIG10 team (Michigan, Wisco, or PSU), I do think that UNC could go to the SUN as on their website they list PITT or UNC. Also VT will be playing in Orlando for the ACCCG, so I can see UM taking the RA Bowl slot and VT taking the Belk or Gator bowl slot...

What I do not know is who the Pinstripe wants, If they want PITT then GT has hope, if not GT to the Pinstripe (I do not like NYC in December brrr), and if the OB somehow decides to bypass the BIG10 for Florida or Auburn (not sure why they would), than I do see GT in the Military bowl hands down!! They said they want us and it is the best of the rest!!
Tech could do worse than NYC......like Detroit......though it would be a short drive for me.....and it is indoors.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Then you set yourself up for the possibility of crapy games. That's not really fair to teams that play in a confrence that's ten times better than another conference. The big ten has 4 teams that are in the top 10. The only way this would be fair imo is to switch everything to an NFL style make 7 divisions there are currently 64 teams in the power 5 conferences, make ND join one and take from other conferences to make two new ones, and then add 5 teams that are lobbying to be apart of a power conference. Split each conference into two brackets where everybody plays everybody in their bracket twice, that's eight games then add two cross over conference games that switch every year and then two out of conference games. then take the winner from each conference and give the number one team a bye for the playoffs. This insures you have a better idea of who is truly the better team in a conference because they are playing each other twice. The way it's done now gives way to much leeway for who the best teams truly are. I personally would rather watch a Ohio state (who won't play for a championship) over penn state play Alabama. I know this will probably never happen but I believe this would be the only way to not have controversy.

It is fair, if your the best then win your conference period

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our destination really depends so much on what happens with the CFP. If two Big 10 teams get in we're probably going to get screwed and go to the Military or Independence. If only one Big 10 team gets in, then I can't see a scenario where a Big 10 team is not in the Orange Bowl.

My guess is this:

CFP: Bama, Clemson, OSU, Washington
Rose: Penn State/Wisconsin
Orange: FSU vs. Michigan (this opens up the Citrus Bowl for the ACC)
Citrus: Louisville
RA: VT

That leaves the Gator, Pinstripe, Sun, and Belk to divvy up Tech, UNC, Miami, and Pitt. Sun probably won't take us, and I think Belk takes UNC guaranteed...so really it'd be Pinstripe or Gator. My guess is:

Gator: Tech
Pinstripe: Pitt
Sun: Miami
Belk: UNC

What really screws this whole thing up is if Washington loses. In that scenario it's pretty much guaranteed that two Big 10 teams go to the CFP and a third goes to the Rose Bowl. At this point, I can't see a 3-loss Penn State or 3-loss Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl, so the ACC loses the Citrus. That would look like this:

Citrus: Big 10
RA: Louisville
Gator/Pinstripe/Sun/Belk: VT/Pitt/Miami/UNC
Tech falls to tier 2...probably first selection, so Military Bowl in Anapolis

So basically we are Husky fans this weekend boys and girls.

Clemson losing would also screw us, but I just don't see that happening.

Nightmare case...Clemson AND Washington lose:

CFP: Bama, OSU, Big10, Colorado
Rose: Big10
Orange: Clemson
Citrus: Big10
RA: FSU
Gator/Pinstripe/Sun/Belk: Louisbille/VT/UNC/Pitt/Miami...one of these teams falls to tier 2

The tier 2 bowls have a selection order, not an equal status, so we're probably the second team selected and end up in the Independence Bowl...this would suck

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My opinion, with a 4-team playoff, if you don't win your conference, you don't deserve a shot. PERIOD!

I tend to agree, but with four teams it's tough. I would ammend this to say "if you don't win your division, you don't deserve a shot." The championship games make it kind of tough when there are a bunch of teams with 2 and 3 losses and a team with one loss in the championship game.

Teams that can't even win their division should be dropped from consideration.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to agree, but with four teams it's tough. I would ammend this to say "if you don't win your division, you don't deserve a shot." The championship games make it kind of tough when there are a bunch of teams with 2 and 3 losses and a team with one loss in the championship game.

Teams that can't even win their division should be dropped from consideration.

This is why I'm in favor of 8 team playoff. 5 P5 Conference champs, 1 G5 team, 2 At Large team. this puts importance on the conference championship games with out completely screwing a team like OSU/Mich or whoever else might pop up in that scenario. Also, gives the G5 a chance at something too, assuming the G5 has a legit team. if no one is worth a crap, then its 3 at large teams

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is why I'm in favor of 8 team playoff. 5 P5 Conference champs, 1 G5 team, 2 At Large team. this puts importance on the conference championship games with out completely screwing a team like OSU/Mich or whoever else might pop up in that scenario. Also, gives the G5 a chance at something too, assuming the G5 has a legit team. if no one is worth a crap, then its 3 at large teams

I 100% agree, but this makes way too much sense, lol. There's all this argument bout "When do you play the games," which is frankly just stupid. Their arguments are:
  1. Can't play the game during finals
  2. Can't play the game over Christmas week (why on Earth, not?...they play other bowl games that week)
Seems pretty simple to me. This year it would work like this:

Quarter-finals: either Dec. 10 or any freakin' day between Dec 18th and Dec 23rd...just pick one...
Semi-finals: Dec 31
Championship: Jan 9

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
8 team playoff will get here before you know it though...it's only a matter of time. This year is going to be a mess, so it should help. What would cement it is if Penn State wins the Big 10 and bumps OSU out. That'd be 1) awesome, and 2) almost a guarantee to move to 8

Animal02

Banned
I 100% agree, but this makes way too much sense, lol. There's all this argument bout "When do you play the games," which is frankly just stupid. Their arguments are:
  1. Can't play the game during finals
  2. Can't play the game over Christmas week (why on Earth, not?...they play other bowl games that week)
Seems pretty simple to me. This year it would work like this:

Quarter-finals: either Dec. 10 or any freakin' day between Dec 18th and Dec 23rd...just pick one...
Semi-finals: Dec 31
Championship: Jan 9
Ten confer champions. Bottom four have a play in round. Only way to make it fair

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
An 8 team playoff would mean a 16 game season for the final 2 teams. (12 + 1 + 3 = 16) I can see the college presidents eventually caving to the pressure of an 8 team playoff, but not anything further unless the reg season gets shortened. That would be bad for college football, imo.

Animal02

Banned
An 8 team playoff would mean a 16 game season for the final 2 teams. (12 + 1 + 3 = 16) I can see the college presidents eventually caving to the pressure of an 8 team playoff, but not anything further unless the reg season gets shortened. That would be bad for college football, imo.
I would not have a problem with one less game a season. But I also would have no problem scrapping the playoff and going back to the traditional bowl set up.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

FCS has played up to 16 games in a season. North Dakota state was 15-1 with a natty in 2014. How come FCS can get things right but the FBS cant?