GT and Under Armour

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we are going to make a change I'd prefer ua. And if this new Jordan jumpman is Nike premium brand....and we only qualify for swoosh....how the hell is the swoosh beneficial going forward?? Jumpman on football uni looks dumb as hell. Give me R over jumpman all day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we are going to make a change I'd prefer ua. And if this new Jordan jumpman is Nike premium brand....and we only qualify for swoosh....how the hell is the swoosh beneficial going forward?? Jumpman on football uni looks dumb as hell. Give me R over jumpman all day.

What the?

Who cares it's a basketball logo. There's nothing "premium" about the equipment Jordan Brand vs Nike. It's about (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) "branding". GT's "brand" is in serious need of an upgrade. The "R" may make sense on the uniform but that same "R" is actually holding us back (significantly) from a "branding" perspective.

Either Nike, Jordan Brand or UA would be beneficial ... immensely beneficial compared to RA. In terms of cache, Jordan Brand holds more weight (JMHO) than the other 2.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think some of the older fellas will understand that Jordan Brand has gone beyond basketball. It's the hottest thing right now that we could get for recruiting, but I doubt they would offer it to us. I imagine UA will give us a better deal and I'm fine with that. Anything but Russell is a HUGE step up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What the?

Who cares it's a basketball logo. There's nothing "premium" about the equipment Jordan Brand vs Nike. It's about (and I can't believe I'm about to say this) "branding". GT's "brand" is in serious need of an upgrade. The "R" may make sense on the uniform but that same "R" is actually holding us back (significantly) from a "branding" perspective.

Either Nike, Jordan Brand or UA would be beneficial ... immensely beneficial compared to RA. In terms of cache, Jordan Brand holds more weight (JMHO) than the other 2.
Is there any data to support your opinion?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nike or bust. We need Nike, and they wouldn't give us Jumpman cause we're not even close to the numbers they want. Regular Nike is what Tech needs in ATL.

Nike or bust. Our recruiting depends on it.

What the?

I honestly know nada about Jumpman on football unis....its new to me. I admit I could be wrong, but I think jersey brand affecting our recruiting is being seriously overblown by most.

IMO the only real way to improve our "branding" is to win more games. Most everything else is just a gimmick.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Economics Of Nike’s Air Jordan Brand
Power of branding
The truth is Jordans can keep margins so wide because of it’s branding power. Jordan’s are luxury goods, but one that isn’t exclusive to the wealthiest.
The followership
The following for Jordan’s have reached a cult like status. They’re a must have and a symbol of status within the younger generation, collectors own pairs that have never been removed from their box. Rapper Macklemore’s song “wing$” perfectly captures the attitudes within the culture when it comes to the effect the brand has had. Beyond sports within the hip hop culture, whether it’s Multi millionaire rapper Drake, who is “still at it scrubbing J’s (jordan’s) with a tooth brush”. Or it’s Nelly who “rocks a different year of J’s every day, a different style, different colour are a must” the Jordan Brand is engrained in the culture. Nike even had to change its Jordan release dates to Saturdays so as to stop children skipping school to go buy the shoes. One thing is certain the Jordan brand is as successful and example of brand power you’re likely to come across, with significant financial benefits Nike.

Profit margin, increasing revenues, etc. included in the article as well.

Nike’s Market Dominance in 5 Numbers
The percentage of the American athletic footwear market owned by NIKE Inc. – so that includes Nike, Jordan Brand and Converse. adidas’s 9% share has been declining every year since 2011. Nike’s dominance of the basketball sector is particularly mind blowing – 96% of the market for b-ball footwear is adorned with the Swoosh or the Jumpman.
$50 billion
The 2020 annual revenue target recently announced by Nike CEO and President Mark Parker. It’s a lofty target to say the least – even if the Swoosh’s revenue was up 5% to $27.8 billion in fiscal ’14.

Nike’s current $27.8 billion annual revenue is bigger than the entire nation of Uganda’s GDP, and the $50 billion target would place Nike above Slovenia, Costa Rica and Tunisia – all of whom have GDPs below $50 billion currently.

Impact of Jordan Brand reaches far beyond basketball

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There is a difference in the Jordan shoe craze and Nike / Jordan unis IMO.
There is a difference no doubt but imo not as it relates to overall perception among apparel/sports junkies who are in it. Check out the articles I just posted which talk about branding beyond basketball shoes.

I feel very confident that you could go back to the 90's or further and ask any basketball/football/whoever player whether they'd rather have a pair of shorts from Russell Athletic vs. Jordan. I'd be shocked if 5 out of 100 picked Russell. Between Jordan vs. Nike I believe the gap significantly closes to the point where for many it comes down to the actual style. I can't speak to Under Armour as that's too new for me.

As a GT fan I will consistently choose to buy a team-neutral Jordan shirt for more money than a GT-branded Russell athletic one. I'm a decently self-confident guy, and I feel sure based on data and 20+ years of anecdotes that it makes an impact on 16-18 year old impressionable recruits.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Jordan would sponsor another ACC school because of UNC. I'd love it if it happens. The UM gear is nice and simple. I hate UM but like what they did with the clothing and kept the Uni simple. But like I said I doubt they touch another ACC school. As far as Nike, I think we would be a mid/lower tier school to them. I'm sure there would be big changes as far as apparel and uniforms but I don't think we'd get the love that Under Armour would give. They have a smaller pool of schools and I think we would be a major priority to them. Either way. I just want to go to Eastbay or any online sporting goods store and have my pick of whatever I want. Now all we have is the bookstore or ramblinwreck store and the selection is absolutely garbage.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Kids are gonna choose us based on a logo?
It won't hurt. Trust me. My AAU kids rip us apart when they see us wearing Russell. It's a new generation. That stuff matters. Look at Robert Carter Jr. One of the main reasons he left was because of the UA pull with his AAU coach. I know some will say "If that's the case we don't need them at Tech" but that's foolish. Hell, if we can land the next fab 5 or 10 5* football recruits because of UA or Nike I'm all for it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Smh. I repeat GT would not be a lower tier Nike school. GT will fall in as "Tier 1" team. Same as Ole Miss, Baylor, UNC etc.... GT will receive those same type of Mach Speed uniform the UM is wearing.

Kids are gonna choose us based on a logo?

Let me answer with a question: How many qualified kids eliminated GT bc of the R?

Say what you want, even though a pipe dream, Jordan brand on our unis would elevate our brand immensely. Hell any brand at this point would increase our exposure and eyes of recruits