GT 7.5 Home Dog to UCF

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In my mind, we have a high tier rating for football history, but yes, in "modern" era, we drop down a tier or 2. It is what it is. We will find out how high our ceiling is with this coaching staff that is going all in on GT's ability to compete and succeed with the big boys. It will be interesting to see that if we have moderate success in this regard, does it provide a substantial increase in fan base size and more merchandise sales. It is all about market share with everything.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
In todays college football world people value a programs history. People who look at Georgia Tech from the last 5 years could say we are not a very good program, but people who look just as far back as 2009 know we have the potential to make a big run in the AP poll if the right pieces fall together. We've proven ourselves, we've been a 2-5 team, that knocked off a reigning national champion and derailed there entire season. We've beat people in our house, in their house, and neutral sites, with those being loaded with first round picks with no injuries on the other team. Im not going to say UCF isn't a good program but they have not taken the steps required to establish themselves. As we saw in DOAK two days ago, it doesn't matter where you play, PUT THE BALL DOWN and play football

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Yet we accept home and homes against G5 opponents. Most recently Temple and South Florida. If we can do that and Florida just can't accept a home and home against a much better program in UCF, then does that mean we are drastically lower in stature than Florida is and if so why would they ever do a home and home with us?
The only person Florida lost too last year was a very talented Georgia team, and the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, they already have a grueling schedule, so why would they feel the need to GO prove themselves to UCF. UCF is the one who wants to prove themselves to the nation, what better way to do it than in someone else house. And frankly a 2-1 in Florida isn't going to make a huge difference, its just like how UGA fans buy half the tickets when the games at Bobby Dodd, UCF fans would travel hour and a half for that game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The only person Florida lost too last year was a very talented Georgia team, and the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, they already have a grueling schedule, so why would they feel the need to GO prove themselves to UCF. UCF is the one who wants to prove themselves to the nation, what better way to do it than in someone else house. And frankly a 2-1 in Florida isn't going to make a huge difference, its just like how UGA fans buy half the tickets when the games at Bobby Dodd, UCF fans would travel hour and a half for that game
Im not sure that "we need to prove ourselves" should be the only criteria for determining if you play OOC games. With this mindset, the SEC should just permanently drop all OOC games. Why do they need them? Florida hasn't played an OOC road game outside of Florida since 1991 and doesn't have one scheduled until 2029. They are obviously scared of scheduling quality OOC opponents.

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay so as my username states I am a UCF fan. Not here to banter but after reviewing some posts I felt compelled to provide some additional information regarding various topics.

As for the Gator 2 for 1 that was supposedly turned down by UCF. Here are the facts- There was never any official 2 for 1 offer, however, the discussion involved playing 2 Gator Home games and 1 in "Orlando". "Orlando" is the key word which many pundits refused to address. The Gators were not willing to play at UCF's on campus stadium, but were willing to play at Camping World stadium in Downtown Orlando. They were also wanting 70% of tickets and revenue from this Neutral site game.

UCF does not enjoy the same TV money that a member of a P5 conference does and therefor is much more reliant on gameday attendance as a revenue stream. We are hesitant to sign 2for1 because it leaves a serious financial hole for our athletic department as you are still forced to fill the void that a 2for1 creates in future scheduling, which typically results in a home game against a lesser opponent (buy game). This results in lower season ticket sales and attendance and creates less revenue. Now our athletic department would probably make an exception for a chance to take on UF, however, essentially a 3 for 0 is a non starter. We have had success scheduling home and homes with other P5s (GT, UNC, UL, etc.) and good G5 (Boise, BYU) instead.

Some naysayers will point to USF and their ability to schedule 2 for 1s, 1 and 1s, and 3 for 1s. Their situation is different as they use an NFL stadium with much larger capacity. They have limited fan support so they have the ability to offer 70%+ tickets to the UFs and FSUs of the world in their own stadium....lol

Next up, I see many of you are salty still about the 2017 game being cancelled. While I assume most comments are said tongue in cheek, I did want to provide the reason this game was not moved to GT.
Everyone knows that our facility was occupied by the National Guard and limited our ability to practice, prepare, etc. but the key factor was student logistics. Campus had been closed including student housing. All student athletes went HOME. By the time it was clear that moving the game was an option, you would have to figure out how to logistically transition every student athlete back to campus before figuring out how to get them to GT. Considering our starting QB lived in Hawaii, many players went home to their own states, and many players are from very poor areas of Miami with limited means to travel....this just doesn't makes sense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Okay so as my username states I am a UCF fan. Not here to banter but after reviewing some posts I felt compelled to provide some additional information regarding various topics.

As for the Gator 2 for 1 that was supposedly turned down by UCF. Here are the facts- There was never any official 2 for 1 offer, however, the discussion involved playing 2 Gator Home games and 1 in "Orlando". "Orlando" is the key word which many pundits refused to address. The Gators were not willing to play at UCF's on campus stadium, but were willing to play at Camping World stadium in Downtown Orlando. They were also wanting 70% of tickets and revenue from this Neutral site game.

UCF does not enjoy the same TV money that a member of a P5 conference does and therefor is much more reliant on gameday attendance as a revenue stream. We are hesitant to sign 2for1 because it leaves a serious financial hole for our athletic department as you are still forced to fill the void that a 2for1 creates in future scheduling, which typically results in a home game against a lesser opponent (buy game). This results in lower season ticket sales and attendance and creates less revenue. Now our athletic department would probably make an exception for a chance to take on UF, however, essentially a 3 for 0 is a non starter. We have had success scheduling home and homes with other P5s (GT, UNC, UL, etc.) and good G5 (Boise, BYU) instead.

Some naysayers will point to USF and their ability to schedule 2 for 1s, 1 and 1s, and 3 for 1s. Their situation is different as they use an NFL stadium with much larger capacity. They have limited fan support so they have the ability to offer 70%+ tickets to the UFs and FSUs of the world in their own stadium....lol

Next up, I see many of you are salty still about the 2017 game being cancelled. While I assume most comments are said tongue in cheek, I did want to provide the reason this game was not moved to GT.
Everyone knows that our facility was occupied by the National Guard and limited our ability to practice, prepare, etc. but the key factor was student logistics. Campus had been closed including student housing. All student athletes went HOME. By the time it was clear that moving the game was an option, you would have to figure out how to logistically transition every student athlete back to campus before figuring out how to get them to GT. Considering our starting QB lived in Hawaii, many players went home to their own states, and many players are from very poor areas of Miami with limited means to travel....this just doesn't makes sense.
Appreciate that you came by and shared the insight. Good luck this week (and I must say, I hope we smoke you guys :) (tongue firmly in cheek with that one)).

It is going to be a pretty wild game I suspect, and I hope we can pull off the victory. Will be a big win for whoever gets it!

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
One last thing I want to add. It appears many of you have gone back to last years game against PITT as a reference to set expectations for this year. We were starting a True Freshman QB in his first true road game (FAU doesnt count as our fans probably outnumbered theirs) and we lost on a trick play despite turnovers. Turnovers were the key last season. All losses came on the road and were the only games our QB threw interceptions. Those losses were by 1pt, 3pt, 3pt. We were 8 points away from 3rd straight regular undefeated season with a True Freshman at the helm. Thats after losing by 8 to LSU in the bowl game with a 2nd string qb freshman who would have been 3rd on the depth chart this season had he not opted out.

With the Covid difficulties and this being our first game I really have no idea what to expect. Every game I have watched, teams have looked extremely sloppy and I am scared that we may experience that as well. If that happens we may be in for a rough day, but as the PITT game shows we can score in a hurry so we are never really out of a game. Hope for a great game sat with no injuries and no covid.

Now go ahead and roast me for posting on your board lol

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Im not sure that "we need to prove ourselves" should be the only criteria for determining if you play OOC games. With this mindset, the SEC should just permanently drop all OOC games. Why do they need them? Florida hasn't played an OOC road game outside of Florida since 1991 and doesn't have one scheduled until 2029. They are obviously scared of scheduling quality OOC opponents.
My point is SEC and ACC teams are playing arguably the best college football teams every week and being tested constantly week in and week out, I can’t say the same for the AAC, if they took the UF offer and beat them the whole nation would buzz about it. But when you turn it down and then you lose to Tulsa it’s not a very good look, pretty sure UF wouldn’t lose to Tulsa, even though UCF directly stated “were the better team”

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
One last thing I want to add. It appears many of you have gone back to last years game against PITT as a reference to set expectations for this year. We were starting a True Freshman QB in his first true road game (FAU doesnt count as our fans probably outnumbered theirs) and we lost on a trick play despite turnovers. Turnovers were the key last season. All losses came on the road and were the only games our QB threw interceptions. Those losses were by 1pt, 3pt, 3pt. We were 8 points away from 3rd straight regular undefeated season with a True Freshman at the helm. Thats after losing by 8 to LSU in the bowl game with a 2nd string qb freshman who would have been 3rd on the depth chart this season had he not opted out.

With the Covid difficulties and this being our first game I really have no idea what to expect. Every game I have watched, teams have looked extremely sloppy and I am scared that we may experience that as well. If that happens we may be in for a rough day, but as the PITT game shows we can score in a hurry so we are never really out of a game. Hope for a great game sat with no injuries and no covid.

Now go ahead and roast me for posting on your board lol
So what about Tulsa bud?

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
So what about Tulsa bud?
I dont know if you guys have a team that just has your number? We do, it is Tulsa. Idk if it is the high school stadium they play in or lack of crowd but I think they hold an 8-3 record on us. It might be worse than that. If you watch that game we were clearly in control but then turnovers and special teams play doomed us. God for bid we take 1 crappy loss in 3 years lol

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont know if you guys have a team that just has your number? We do, it is Tulsa. Idk if it is the high school stadium they play in or lack of crowd but I think they hold an 8-3 record on us. It might be worse than that. If you watch that game we were clearly in control but then turnovers and special teams play doomed us. God for bid we take 1 crappy loss in 3 years lol
Losing to a 3 win team 2 years after coming off a “national championship.” And you claim too be a program better than UF. I respect your team but this program makes themselves sound like a joke because they don’t shut there mouths.

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
My point is SEC and ACC teams are playing arguably the best college football teams every week and being tested constantly week in and week out, I can’t say the same for the AAC, if they took the UF offer and beat them the whole nation would buzz about it. But when you turn it down and then you lose to Tulsa it’s not a very good look, pretty sure UF wouldn’t lose to Tulsa, even though UCF directly stated “were the better team”
I love college football and I try to be as unbiased as I can in everything in life. SEC is the best week in and week out. Over the last few years the ACC has not been very good. If we are talking the mean, yes Clemson holds all of your cellar dwellers up but that's it. You take them out, I am not sure the next 3 top ACC teams are that much better than top 3 AAC teams. I am not talking historically, I am talking last couple years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Were you pretty sure Florida couldn't lose to an FCS Ga Southern team not too long ago? Because they did. The point of this isn't really to prove UCF and Florida are equal in terms of stature. They aren't. But some programs deserve a little more respect than just saying you won't play them unless its a 2 for 1 with the 1 apparently being a neutral site game. That is a joke and UF should be embarrassed that they offered it. You should also realize that you are bashing our program at the same time because we are apparently fine playing a home and home with them.

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
I love college football and I try to be as unbiased as I can in everything in life. SEC is the best week in and week out. Over the last few years the ACC has not been very good. If we are talking the mean, yes Clemson holds all of your cellar dwellers up but that's it. You take them out, I am not sure the next 3 top ACC teams are that much better than top 3 AAC teams. I am not talking historically, I am talking last couple years.
Maybe but last time I checked ACC teams actually play defense😂. Can’t say the same for the AACbud. Not to mention ur a UCF fan in a GT forum so let’s not claim “unbiased”