GT (+11) @ UNC

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good Lord folks, UNC cannot score more than once per possession! Do I think our D will struggle? Yes. Recent evidence would suggest that. Do I think their defense will struggle? Heck yes! We are pretty good on the O side of the ball. UNC is way worse than PUKE on defense. You guys do realize UNC lost to a rancid UGAg team by nearly two scores. We CAN win. We can lose too. We are just going to have to play it and find out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't see why everyone is so worried about UNC, they very easily could have two more L's. Before the duke game we were 14th in the nation in offensive efficiency, UNC was 51st. In defensive efficiency we are 100th, and they are 77th. So this should be a pretty close game, and if we can get some key stops and maybe a turnover or 2 we can win this game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
UGa beat UNC.

So unless you think Uga is better than us in which case I don't want to hear about it then...
I agree we can beat UNC, but your talking about the first game of the season. If I had to pick between UNC and UGA playing another game this coming up weekend I'm going with UNC all day. Just like I would have picked GT over duke or UNC is 2014 if we played them again late in the season.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Yea its pretty clear to me teams that throw the ball easily beat us by 2 possessions.

Just curious what your evidence is that makes this "pretty clear". Clemson is one of the best teams in the country, no shame in that loss (although our offense looked like hammered crap in the first half). Miami only beat us because of back to back fumble TDs...we were absolutely rolling on them, those quick 14 points completely changed the complexion of the game. Pitt beat us by 3 when we got stopped on 4th and 1. We still beat Duke in a shootout (that we had in hand until the JJ Green fumble). So...what are you talking about?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
UNC is at home; Tech is coming off an emotional win; Tech's win against Duke was due primarily to the best game of our senior QB's career; this game will be hyped as one Tech could use to become bowl eligible and you know how poorly we play when something is on the line; the defense is coming off its worst yardage performance of the year in which it looked completely befuddled at times, and the list of negatives could go on. Does this Tech team possess the desire to go there and impose its will on the Tar Heels?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
UNC is at home; Tech is coming off an emotional win; Tech's win against Duke was due primarily to the best game of our senior QB's career; this game will be hyped as one Tech could use to become bowl eligible and you know how poorly we play when something is on the line; the defense is coming off its worst yardage performance of the year in which it looked completely befuddled at times, and the list of negatives could go on. Does this Tech team possess the desire to go there and impose its will on the Tar Heels?
I haven't heard any hype about this game being the one where we could become bowl eligible, and I highly doubt that is lingering on the players mind, we have 4 games left.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what your evidence is that makes this "pretty clear". Clemson is one of the best teams in the country, no shame in that loss (although our offense looked like hammered crap in the first half). Miami only beat us because of back to back fumble TDs...we were absolutely rolling on them, those quick 14 points completely changed the complexion of the game. Pitt beat us by 3 when we got stopped on 4th and 1. We still beat Duke in a shootout (that we had in hand until the JJ Green fumble). So...what are you talking about?

PASSING YARDS LEADERS
RK TEAM
1 Syracuse
2 Louisville
3 Clemson
4 North Carolina
5 Florida State
6 Virginia
7 Virginia Tech
8 NC State
9 Miami
10 Duke
11 Pittsburgh
12 Wake Forest
13 Boston College
14 Georgia Tech

Look at the teams we were able to beat the highest one ranked 9th. Look at where NC is. You can bring up the clemson game if you would like but lets be honest they played 1 half of that game. if they wanted to put up 60 on us they could have.
We are 12th in the ACC in INT. 14th in the ACC in passes defended.
We give up way to many easy throws. We don't challenge the QB to make mistakes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
PASSING YARDS LEADERS
RK TEAM
1 Syracuse
2 Louisville
3 Clemson
4 North Carolina
5 Florida State
6 Virginia
7 Virginia Tech
8 NC State
9 Miami
10 Duke
11 Pittsburgh
12 Wake Forest
13 Boston College
14 Georgia Tech

Look at the teams we were able to beat the highest one ranked 9th. Look at where NC is. You can bring up the clemson game if you would like but lets be honest they played 1 half of that game. if they wanted to put up 60 on us they could have.
What coach told you Clemson pulled up? I wasn't aware throwing the ball with under 2 minutes was letting up lol. I think our D has been awful, but let's not kid ourself UNC runs way more plays than almost any team we have played so of course they are going to have more passing yards, it only makes logical sense. And of course the highest ranked passing team we were able to beat was ranked 9th, I wonder why? Maybe because we've only played 2 team in the top 9, and one of those we could have beat, so it only makes sense the only team we had a chance to beat was the 9th ranked in passing. I could understand your argument if we had played other teams in the top 9, but we haven't. UNC still has to stop our offense and they haven't played an offense that is as efficient as ours. Not to mention Syracuse is awful so your example is a prime example that numbers can be twisted to anyway people want to see them, they are probably so high because they have to pass so much to stay in games. it might be your opinion but there are not facts to go with it.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
What coach told you Clemson pulled up? I wasn't aware throwing the ball with under 2 minutes was letting up lol. I think our D has been awful, but let's not kid ourself UNC runs way more plays than almost any team we have played so of course they are going to have more passing yards, it only makes logical sense. And of course the highest ranked passing team we were able to beat was ranked 9th, I wonder why? Maybe because we've only played 2 team in the top 9, and one of those we could have beat, so it only makes sense the only team we had a chance to beat was the 9th ranked in passing. I could understand your argument if we had played other teams in the top 9, but we haven't. UNC still has to stop our offense and they haven't played an offense that is as efficient as ours. Not to mention Syracuse is awful so your example is a prime example that numbers can be twisted to anyway people want to see them, they are probably so high because they have to pass so much to stay in games. it might be your opinion but there are not facts to go with it.

Ok to dumb it down a little we are dead last in passes defended. DEAD LAST. Any team that can throw the ball should have success with the team that is DEAD LAST in the ACC in defending passes.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can bring up the clemson game if you would like but lets be honest they played 1 half of that game. if they wanted to put up 60 on us they could have.

Clemson could have put up 60, but just decided not to. That was gracious. They could have just snapped their fingers and it was done, but decided what? It wasn't worth the effort? Give me a break. Clemson did two things that they wouldn't have, if it was close at the time, and that was punt twice on 4th and short near mid-field. They managed the game exactly as I would have if I were coach. We weren't moving the ball, so they took the safe route and gave us a long field where we had little chance. Choosing not to punt twice would have net them 60 points I guess (sarcasm). Their mix of plays was still what it normally is. They took their shots. They kept some balance in terms of run/pass. I will agree that the game was decided by mid Q3, but let's keep it real here. They wanted to score and were trying to score. They just weren't going to take chances on 4th down. Our best chance would been had they gone for it and failed and we would get a short field.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson could have put up 60, but just decided not to. That was gracious. They could have just snapped their fingers and it was done, but decided what? It wasn't worth the effort? Give me a break. Clemson did two things that they wouldn't have, if it was close at the time, and that was punt twice on 4th and short near mid-field. They managed the game exactly as I would have if I were coach. We weren't moving the ball, so they took the safe route and gave us a long field where we had little chance. Choosing not to punt twice would have net them 60 points I guess (sarcasm). Their mix of plays was still what it normally is. They took their shots. They kept some balance in terms of run/pass. I will agree that the game was decided by mid Q3, but let's keep it real here. They wanted to score and were trying to score. They just weren't going to take chances on 4th down. Our best chance would been had they gone for it and failed and we would get a short field.

Exactly. I don't know if it's because our D is struggling so much or what but some people this year don't want to give them credit at all. Clemson left their starters in until the last play. If they could of scored a ton they would of so they could of taken their starters out and gotten the backups some more gam experience. All their blowouts they have.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
They also drained the clock the entire second half. They went away from what they do best to make the game go by quickly. To say they couldn't have put up way more points than they did is crazy. We did not get clemson's a game for 4 quarters.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Clemson did let up in the second half -- in the sense of play calling, keeping the offense vanilla. However, Dabo kept Watson and other starters in, and I rather doubt that they were not trying to pick up first downs and retain possession. When Clemson's offense didn't go deep in the playbook, Tech's defense did ok against Clemson's starters.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok to dumb it down a little we are dead last in passes defended. DEAD LAST. Any team that can throw the ball should have success with the team that is DEAD LAST in the ACC in defending passes.
I agree with this, but this is not how you put your previous post. You originally said any team that can pass can beat us by two scores, and I was basically saying your analogy you used was not good to back that up. I agree our D is not very good, but on the flip side our O is very very good. Honestly there has not been 1 team besides Clemson that just beat up on us. We could very easily be 7-1 if some things went our way, our offense should be able to keep most games close.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
PASSING YARDS LEADERS
RK TEAM
1 Syracuse
2 Louisville
3 Clemson
4 North Carolina
5 Florida State
6 Virginia
7 Virginia Tech
8 NC State
9 Miami
10 Duke
11 Pittsburgh
12 Wake Forest
13 Boston College
14 Georgia Tech

So by your logic you think Syracuse would crush us, and we'll probably lose to Virginia. Nice effort, but no.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
They also drained the clock the entire second half. They went away from what they do best to make the game go by quickly. To say they couldn't have put up way more points than they did is crazy. We did not get clemson's a game for 4 quarters.

They may have slowed down in the 4th quarter on the last couple of possessions but they were still snapping it the whole 3rd with 20+ seconds on the play clock. The same amount as the first half. Clemson was not on the night we played but they really haven't been all year except against Louisville. They had a hard time running against us the second half. They didn't slow down with Boyd and drain the play clock down to less than 5. They were still trying to get their offense in rhythm.