GSU game thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is probably “rat poison”, and certainly doesn’t take into consideration that we’re
  1. banged up and
  2. Ga State has film on us and
  3. We’re a different defense than last year, and Ga State is a different team than last year
If 2023 Georgia Tech played 2023 Georgia State, we’d expect GT to win about 8 times out of 10 (this projection is ~90% and a 16 point spread):

There’s also the FEI game projection, which has roughly an 11 point spread in our favor. It’s not a blowout, empty the benches forecast.

ESPN’s preview is similar—about 80%. They report the point spread as 21 points.

There’s a simple stats-based preview at http://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401634302.

Last year, Georgia State ran a lot, and it was the strength of their game, but not by a ton. We couldn’t defend the run. Last year, you’d expect them to run and run often. This year, who knows?

Georgia State OffensevsGeorgia Tech Defense
#530.07EPA/Pass-0.04#42
#690.01EPA/Rush0.11#111
#6945.8%Available Yards %50.2%#105
#59Own 28Starting Field PositionOwn 28#57
#90-0.04Early Downs EPA/Play0.02#85
#2248.5%3rd/4th Down Success47.1%#103
#406.80Avg 3rd Down Distance7.26#55

Last year, Georgia State had a terrible pass defense. We were better on the ground, but we could pass it.

I think we’ll be more balanced this weekend compared to last, but honestly I’m not sure. You would think that FSU has a better secondary than Georgia State, and a better overall defense.

Ga State DefensevsGa Tech Offense
#1170.15EPA/Pass0.01#68
#40-0.04EPA/Rush0.13#14
#10450.2%Available Yards %52.4%#28
#64Own 28Starting FPOwn 30#26
#58-0.02Early Downs EPA/Play0.05#45
#12650.8%3rd Down Success42.4%T-#69
#277.61Avg 3rd Down Distance6.93#52

For those of you thinking “trap game”, Syracuse is our next game after Georgia State.

Syracuse. Otherwise known as that “out of town business trip.”

Yeah, we’re all nervous as kittens. Maybe this year IS different.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not worried about this game.

We've endured some toe-stubbing disappointments in the past, playing down to the competition, etc.

But this is a new season, different team. I have a lot of confidence in this team. I'd be really surprised of we don't take care of business.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse. Otherwise known as that “out of town business trip.”

Yeah, we’re all nervous as kittens. Maybe this year IS different.
GT should have plenty of confidence packed for the business trip to Cuse.....

Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF by HULU

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Gibson isn’t starting. Hmm.

There’s an “or” there so he could still be starting. But I think I saw on twitter to expect them to play both guys. Believe their guy last year was a Dual Threat kind of QB with a lot of rushing yards. Gibson is not really that kind of guy so wouldn’t be surprised if the other guy can do more with his legs and they don’t want to completely revamp their offense.

slugboy

Staff member
There’s an “or” there so he could still be starting. But I think I saw on twitter to expect them to play both guys. Believe their guy last year was a Dual Threat kind of QB with a lot of rushing yards. Gibson is not really that kind of guy so wouldn’t be surprised if the other guy can do more with his legs and they don’t want to completely revamp their offense.
Yeah, “or” does a lot of work in that depth chart. Maybe too much.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Total speculation based on:
  • There were not many obvious injuries during the game on Saturday
  • CBK was intentional today talking about how "banged up" we are and is talking about reps for our 2's and 3's
I wonder if the team caught a virus of some kind.

I don't recall CBK going out of his way to make statements like he did, when the eye test from the game does not meet the magnitude of the statement. He still hedged with the typical "I hope they're ready come injury report on Thurs", which holds even more true if guys are sick.

Other theories: It could be gamesmanship to introduce uncertainty for Ga State. Or maybe there are injuries to very important contributors but not in numbers.

We shall see.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Total speculation based on:
  • There were not many obvious injuries during the game on Saturday
  • CBK was intentional today talking about how "banged up" we are and is talking about reps for our 2's and 3's
I wonder if the team caught a virus of some kind.

I don't recall CBK going out of his way to make statements like he did, when the eye test from the game does not meet the magnitude of the statement. He still hedged with the typical "I hope they're ready come injury report on Thurs", which holds even more true if guys are sick.

Other theories: It could be gamesmanship to introduce uncertainty for Ga State. Or maybe there are injuries to very important contributors but not in numbers.

We shall see.
Honestly, I took his remark as more of…
“Are you kidding me? It’s football. We just played a top ten team. Everybody is dinged up”
Im not trying to be condescending… just seemed like a Key response to deflect the question.
I would definitely like to know about Cooley and Lockett but I understand why he would deflect if he didn’t have enough info to share.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I took his remark as more of…
“Are you kidding me? It’s football. We just played a top ten team. Everybody is dinged up”
Im not trying to be condescending… just seemed like a Key response to deflect the question.
I would definitely like to know about Cooley and Lockett but I understand why he would deflect if he didn’t have enough info to share.
I took it this way as well.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I just noticed that we only have 2 seniors in the two deep for offensive linemen on that depth chart. For some reason I thought more of them were seniors. That really bodes well for the future considering some of the young talent already on the team along with the recruits we have for 2025.