GSU game thread

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I love how the uninformed masses keep harping that Key will be gone. They are completely unaware of his ties and allegiance to Tech. Tech isn't just another stepping stone for another coach. Tech to Key is home and the ultimate destination.

He ain't going NOWHERE
I heard the same thing about Bill Curry. I thought he was the coach for life. Fingers crossed he will be here for a looooong time.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
A couple thoughts:
  • One of the hallmarks of Saban teams is that they came out and played consistently against all teams without the typical letdown game most college teams experience. Smart was able to instill this at uga and one of the reasons they have been more successful than under Richt. Key's theme this year is consistency, so I really don't expect any major letdowns this year. This team will be ready Saturday night and will have a dominate performance against State.
  • I was optimistic about Santucci as DC based on comments coming out during fall camp. I am overjoyed with the performance of the D in Ireland. Any fan of Tenuta's D (I am one) should really enjoy watching our 3rd down D this year. Opposing offenses will know a blitz is coming but will have no clue where it is coming from. Love it.
  • For those who are already fretting about losing Santucci, during Key's postgame interview he was asked about what they were talking about during their postgame embrace. Key said Santucci told him "Thanks for bringing me here" and Key responded "Thanks for coming". Someone else made the comment that Key was a players and coaches coach. Key is creating an atmosphere where coaches want to come coach with him. I think we may have Faulkner and Santucci for longer than most people think.
  • I'm not sure we will cover 21 points. First teamers should dominate first half and take a 14-17 point lead into halftime. Second half will be a mix of a lot of 2nd and 3rd teamers. Look for Carrie and Harpring to play a fair amount as well as some other freshmen. Second half should be a wash so final will be a 14-17 point win.
Pyron, too.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I will be shocked if CBK doesn’t have Tech loaded up for a statement win. The only fly in the ointment is jet lag. It is hard to catch up on mental and physical sharpness when you have to go right back to work with essentially no rest or easy days.
If I'm Brent Key and GT starts fast and jumps out to a good lead, I'm going to play my 2nd & 3rd team players and work on depth and the future

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not worried about this game.

We've endured some toe-stubbing disappointments in the past, playing down to the competition, etc.

But this is a new season, different team. I have a lot of confidence in this team. I'd be really surprised of we don't take care of business.
I am not confident that we'll beat anyone - too many scars. Bowling Green/Citadel/UCF/others have taught me that no team is an automatic win and we can (and have) lost to teams that we should have beaten on paper. Hell, you can say the same thing about the win on Saturday. That's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am not confident that we'll beat anyone - too many scars. Bowling Green/Citadel/UCF/others have taught me that no team is an automatic win and we can (and have) lost to teams that we should have beaten on paper. Hell, you can say the same thing about the win on Saturday. That's why they play the games on the field and not on paper.
Understand 100%

I don't guarantee us any victories until it is mathematically impossible for the other team to outscore us. Yes, that often means that the clock is at 00:00.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple thoughts:
  • For those who are already fretting about losing Santucci, during Key's postgame interview he was asked about what they were talking about during their postgame embrace. Key said Santucci told him "Thanks for bringing me here" and Key responded "Thanks for coming". Someone else made the comment that Key was a players and coaches coach. Key is creating an atmosphere where coaches want to come coach with him. I think we may have Faulkner and Santucci for longer than most people think.

• I'm not sure we will cover 21 points. First teamers should dominate first half and take a 14-17 point lead into halftime. Second half will be a mix of a lot of 2nd and 3rd teamers. Look for Carrie and Harpring to play a fair amount as well as some other freshmen. Second half should be a wash so final will be a 14-17 point win.
For these assistant coaches, what is more rewarding? Jumping into an elite program or building one from the ground up? Saturday's win may have been the greatest of their careers to date. Of course, the $$$ matters, and J Batt and President Cabrera knows this, and GT will get these guys paid to keep them as long as possible.

I completely agree GT will work on depth and player development whenever GT has a lead that allows it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I was reminded recently of the early-season Dolphins/Patriots game in 2008 where the Dolphins revealed the Wildcat formation with tons of success. I'm wagering they practiced it all training camp and were fine to lose their first two games without it just to surprise their biggest opponent with it. Not saying Dell McGee creates a new offense innovation in this game but there are a lot of wildcard/unpredictable aspects to this matchup. Allegedly they plan to play up to 4 QBs - I trust Santucci/Key can adjust to whatever gets thrown at them but I'm an eternal underestimator and this isn't a guaranteed win in my book.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Many of you have probably already heard about this, but in the bowl game vs. UCF - Haynes King kept telling the coaches on the sideline to keep running the ball. He had the opportunity to break several school records and the coaches were planning on running some plays to try to make it happen. But in game, Haynes insisted that the offense continue to run the damn ball. The physical run game eventually broke UCF's back and we cruised to a comfortable victory. He wasn't worried about the records - he didn't care about that. He wanted to ensure the victory. He is a legitimate stud - he concerns himself with the right things and has his head on straight.

He's beginning to get noticed by national media now, but I'm not concerned about it affected him at all...he's a dude and he has the right stuff between the ears.
This keeps standing out to me as well. I was able to stay at the team hotel in Dublin and got to talk to him for a few minutes in the lobby and he kept deflecting all praise to the team, "the five up front", "The receivers" "the running backs".

Then this statement. When things go wrong there are two of us. Coach and me.

Dude takes team first seriously and I am so excited for his time on the flats!

slugboy

Staff member
Not saying Dell McGee creates a new offense innovation in this game but there are a lot of wildcard/unpredictable aspects to this matchup. Allegedly they plan to play up to 4 QBs
If it’s at the same time, I’ll be impressed.

Side note: DirecTV is going into a standoff with Disney (ESPN/ABC) and those channels may be blocked out in September

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If it’s at the same time, I’ll be impressed.

Side note: DirecTV is going into a standoff with Disney (ESPN/ABC) and those channels may be blocked out in September
Hah, hopefully they are playing with lots of pressure while McGee micromanages them, looking over their shoulder and giving them a short leash. But you have to be nervous about the unknowns and chaotic strategies he could draw up with this unorthodox approach.

Some will remember in 2022 how we unleashed the Taisun Phommachanh red zone strategy against UNC. Our red zone efficiency skyrocketed that game compared to the rest of the season and I definitely believe Key/Chip Long's 2 headed QB monster strategy converted 3s to 7s for us and probably won us the game.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
On the way back to our hotel Sunday night we ran into an FSU fan that said "Key will be gone in a year". We quickly informed him that he had no idea what he was talking about. He would give up salary to keep Faulkner and/or Santucci if they keep up the performance so far. That is before accounting for exactly what you stated as they love coaching with Key. Key wants a Natty at Tech so bad he can almost taste it.

Here's hoping J Batt pulls out the wallet for the staff as donors start pulling out their wallets for GT.
if you are enjoying what Key & Co is doing so far, contribute whatever you can, no matter how meager to Alexander Tharpe fund and/or the Tech Way. Winning isn't free. If every GT alumn gave $10, that would be millions.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to belabor it, but since you replied, I feel it important to acknowledge that I vehemently disagree. Gibson's misguided decision is nowhere near any of Haynes King's INTs last year or any given missed tackle. Waving the white flag is something else.

To be clear on my position, I'm not defining him by one play. I agree he played hard for us otherwise. It's just one play that was egregious followed by an equally perplexing statement. Unfortunately of all the plays he made for us, that specific one is most memorable to me because of how unusual it was.

It is what it is. I'll let it be from here.
Exactly. Certain things are just hard to overcome. It was a bad look then and it’s a bad look now. Jeff Sims quit on the team and it gives off the same vibes to me. Jeff also won some big games for Tech that I have fond memories of - including another win against Carolina.

I wish Zack no ill will (aside from hoping he gets sacked 10 times on Saturday), but that moment will always stand out in my mind.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
With all due respect for Zach Gibson, he probably displayed the worst QB play I have ever seen in my life while at Tech. So I’m not too worried about him. But maybe he has improved.
He was unprepared when pressed into action in the UVa game in '22. He looked much better after the coaches got him ready, but he's no King or Pyron.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
He was unprepared when pressed into action in the UVa game in '22. He looked much better after the coaches got him ready, but he's no King or Pyron.
Don't want to be negative but how unbelievably unprepared Gibson looked against UVA is probably the biggest red mark during Key's tenure as interim/HC. They knew Sims was hobbled from the injury against Duke in OT and Gibson was so hard to watch that it was almost like the coaching staff hadn't anticipated a scenario in which he would potentially play. It was very strange. Maybe the moment was just too big for Gibson but I suspect he did not get nearly as many reps with the first team running up to the game as he should have.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was reminded recently of the early-season Dolphins/Patriots game in 2008 where the Dolphins revealed the Wildcat formation with tons of success. I'm wagering they practiced it all training camp and were fine to lose their first two games without it just to surprise their biggest opponent with it. Not saying Dell McGee creates a new offense innovation in this game but there are a lot of wildcard/unpredictable aspects to this matchup. Allegedly they plan to play up to 4 QBs - I trust Santucci/Key can adjust to whatever gets thrown at them but I'm an eternal underestimator and this isn't a guaranteed win in my book.
To paraphrase our old friend Paul Johnson, “You don’t beat opponents by running trick plays and gimmicks, you beat them by being better prepared.”

I’m not worried about Ga State trying to surprise us with crazy game plans. We will win the trench warfare on both sides of the ball and wear them down. We have a disciplined well coached team.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The final five are just a gauntlet. Attrition might rear its ugly head and be a bigger factor than anything. By that point in the season, we’ll be playing major games on a major stage, and I don’t see motivation / mindset being nearly as big a factor as other things.
All the more reason for Key & Co to get 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field whenever possible to develop some solid depth on the team