GSU game thread

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect for Zach Gibson, he probably displayed the worst QB play I have ever seen in my life while at Tech. So I’m not too worried about him. But maybe he has improved.

MACHETE

Jolly Good Fellow
Even with that, I'm still not worried about him leaving. If the wins increase, so will the money getting funneled into the program. Such is the world we live in.

And id bet you Key keeps stacking the wins in the near future
Stop with this. He bleeds white and gold and is a bigger fan than anyone here.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely was worried about the hangover effect of such a big win causing us to come into this week's game flat-footed, but during the offense players' postgame inteview after the FSU game, I believe King and Franklin both made clear statements about getting home and preparing for the GSU game. Seems like they're focused and aware of the risks of letting this win go to their head.

2 things that stand out to me about this press conference:

1 - the uniformity of their referring back to “we got a game next week.” Each one said something to that effect, and each one brought it up not as a response to “how will you celebrate,” but instead as its own thought that tied up another answer.

When you simplify things down to black and white, make your message crystal clear, and then repeat it to the point where the people you lead can hear you say it in their sleep, they internalize that message. Particularly when it’s a good one, like this one is. I’m not concerned that this team will take next week’s game lightly.

2 - the quiet confidence of Haynes King (and all 3 of them, really, but especially HK). Last year there was an almost “I’m just glad to be here, I think we can do great things” quality to his interviews.

This year, there is a new type of confidence under the surface. It says, “We deserve to be here - that’s a given.” Very matter-of-fact. No ego. Not overcompensating (like some teams do). Just a recognition that we are good enough to go toe to toe with anybody, but that we’re only good enough because we do the hard work every day.

That attitude shift says a lot. It has me excited as a fan, and I can guarantee that it is exactly the attitude Coach Key wants to see out of his team.

This all bodes very well for the rest of the season. We have some hard games ahead of us, and some trap games, too. But the acceptance that we can handle anything because of the work we put in every day to get better means that when adversity strikes, we’ll be prepared to meet it head on.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow

1 - the uniformity of their referring back to “we got a game next week.” Each one said something to that effect, and each one brought it up not as a response to “how will you celebrate,” but instead as its own thought that tied up another answer.

When you simplify things down to black and white, make your message crystal clear, and then repeat it to the point where the people you lead can hear you say it in their sleep, they internalize that message. Particularly when it’s a good one, like this one is. I’m not concerned that this team will take next week’s game lightly.

2 - the quiet confidence of Haynes King (and all 3 of them, really, but especially HK). Last year there was an almost “I’m just glad to be here, I think we can do great things” quality to his interviews.

This year, there is a new type of confidence under the surface. It says, “We deserve to be here - that’s a given.” Very matter-of-fact. No ego. Not overcompensating (like some teams do). Just a recognition that we are good enough to go toe to toe with anybody, but that we’re only good enough because we do the hard work every day.

That attitude shift says a lot. It has me excited as a fan, and I can guarantee that it is exactly the attitude Coach Key wants to see out of his team.

This all bodes very well for the rest of the season. We have some hard games ahead of us, and some trap games, too. But the acceptance that we can handle anything because of the work we put in every day to get better means that when adversity strikes, we’ll be prepared to meet it head on.
It makes sense why Key wants to do this. We haven’t had more than a 2 game win streak since CPJ and Key is responsible for the only streaks since then. He knows to be successful the program needs to start rattling off 3,4,5 wins in a row. And that starts with focusing on next week.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I agree, wholeheartedly, however, if we don’t pay him what he is worth, I don’t care who you are, he’s not gonna be happy. Nobody should be expected to stick around at their alma mater out of loyalty and not be paid what you’re worth.
You don't buy a man like Brent Key. You treat him fairly and provide the resources to enable him to be successful in achieving his dreams.

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Pretty slick lookin uni… but yeah… no way they trot in with “ATLANTA” across their chests and think it’s going to go over well. Punishment is in order :LOL:
Don't they know we own the 4.0..... uh, nm..... wrong hype machine button.......

go do it GIF

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They’ve got a staff with experience for sure. But it’s their first game. If we come prepared to play we should win easily. If we don’t we could crap the bed. Just the way it goes.

But they’ve got to make plays too man. We know Gibson. If we put him under pressure it will help a lot.

Saturday night game to open the home slate should help get the kids pumped up. I’m excited to get down there on Saturday and watch our guys in persons!

GO JACKETS!!!

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Agree…. I feel good about this one (my long standing Tech fan PTSD /anxiety just kicked hard saying that). Key has made consistency a point of emphasis for 9 months and this scenario lines up perfectly for what he has been preaching. I think it has been drilled in and this is an obvious test that the guys will be ready for. My hope is that we are just “flat” enough to have teachable moments but not flat enough to be really scared.

As I was talking about our schedule with friends and my son, I realized our “trap” games pretty quickly. There are two games on our schedule that i said the EXACT same thing about… “I’m not sure how good these guys will be but this one could be a tough game. If we are who we think we are, we have to win it.” Those games are @Cuse and vs Dook.

I would expect to be 2-0, possibly ranked, when we go to Cuse next week. It’s on the road against an unfamiliar team in a tough place to play and I would presume it to be a golden opportunity for guys to be proud of themselves for avoiding the letdown vs GSU. I think this is going to be our first real proof of concept.

Duke is sandwiched between Lville and UNC. I can’t even imagine a world where we don’t get up for Lville after what happened last year. Not to mention, I’d expect this to be a big game nationally as a lot of people have expectations for the Cards and we’ll be their first test. I think we are going to find a whole new level of nasty when we roll into Chapel Hill (and im pretty excited to see it honestly). As for the “trap” in between, I’m glad we have a week off before Duke … that should help. Hopefully we’re rolling and BDS is rocking too…Otherwise, that one could be a 10/10 scary trap opportunity.

The final five are just a gauntlet. Attrition might rear its ugly head and be a bigger factor than anything. By that point in the season, we’ll be playing major games on a major stage and I don’t see motivation / mindset being nearly as big a factor as other things.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They’ve got a staff with experience for sure. But it’s their first game. If we come prepared to play we should win easily. If we don’t we could crap the bed. Just the way it goes.

But they’ve got to make plays too man. We know Gibson. If we put him under pressure it will help a lot.

Saturday night game to open the home slate should help get the kids pumped up. I’m excited to get down there on Saturday and watch our guys in persons!

GO JACKETS!!!

Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s bad juju / bad mojo to keep saying Gibson is not a capable QB. He has the potential to be quite good. At Tech he got caught in a crowded QB room in a transition time for Tech. With the attention and support he is getting now he can be quite effective.

What we have in our favor is that this will be his first game and our defense will throw a lot of looks at him that he has not seen under game conditions. But let’s put the emphasis where it needs to be. Not that he is bad but that we are good.

As to the game itself, I will be curious to see if we open our offensive and defensive playbooks a little more. We have three good chess players on our coaching staff who will not show everything they’ve got in one game but will keep showing a new wrinkle each time as needed, while keeping an eye on who the next opponent is and what we want to hold back on showing them ahead of time.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s bad juju / bad mojo to keep saying Gibson is not a capable QB. He has the potential to be quite good. At Tech he got caught in a crowded QB room in a transition time for Tech. With the attention and support he is getting now he can be quite effective.

What we have in our favor is that this will be his first game and our defense will throw a lot of looks at him that he has not seen under game conditions. But let’s put the emphasis where it needs to be. Not that he is bad but that we are good.

As to the game itself, I will be curious to see if we open our offensive and defensive playbooks a little more. We have three good chess players on our coaching staff who will not show everything they’ve got in one game but will keep showing a new wrinkle each time as needed, while keeping an eye on who the next opponent is and what we want to hold back on showing them ahead of time.
He’s at least good enough that Chaney can make him dangerous for our game—or whoever the starter is.

Ga State has film on us. We have none on them. They have a new coaching staff, new scheme, and new players.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Going through their depth chart, GSU has a slightly undersized OL
RT: 6’3” 285
RG: 6’2” 283
C: 6’1” 285
LG: 6’2” 290
LT: 6’6” 310

For comparison⬇️
Our lightest: RT Robison at 305
Our shortest: C Franklin at 6’4”

This is a step down from the size and talent of the supposedly giant FSU OL. Also a step from who our DL practiced against all off-season.
We might be welcoming zach Gibson back into the BDS by feeding him Hyundai field grass a couple times.
That won’t be possible on turf

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He’s at least good enough that Chaney can make him dangerous for our game—or whoever the starter is.

Ga State has film on us. We have none on them. They have a new coaching staff, new scheme, and new players.
I was at the Tennessee - GSU game a few years ago when State beat the Vols 38-30. I would not underestimate the motivation that GSU has to win the game. Our guys appear focused, which is good.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
With all due respect for Zach Gibson, he probably displayed the worst QB play I have ever seen in my life while at Tech. So I’m not too worried about him. But maybe he has improved.
I wouldn't take him too lightly. The UVA game was terrible but he played much better later in the year as he got more practice reps. Heck, he outplayed Drake Maye in that UNC game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I like Zach Gibson wish him the best, just no this game.
I just want us to keep winning.
The thing I worry about is GSU defensive coordinators he was ours last year and I’m sure he knows the plays and players well.
With our coaching if feel they will get the ready and not over look them. God I love our coaching staff and the players

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't take him too lightly. The UVA game was terrible but he played much better later in the year as he got more practice reps. Heck, he outplayed Drake Maye in that UNC game.
Zach also got to spend last year under Weinke's coaching while redshirting as our 3rd string QB so I suspect his mechanics will be better than the last time we saw him play in 2022. I think he will have a solid year and State will likely go bowling again this year. I just hope our D Line overwhelms their OL and makes life miserable for Gibson for 3 hours Saturday night.