GSU game thread

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don't want to be negative but how unbelievably unprepared Gibson looked against UVA is probably the biggest red mark during Key's tenure as interim/HC. They knew Sims was hobbled from the injury against Duke in OT and Gibson was so hard to watch that it was almost like the coaching staff hadn't anticipated a scenario in which he would potentially play. It was very strange. Maybe the moment was just too big for Gibson but I suspect he did not get nearly as many reps with the first team running up to the game as he should have.
Keep in mind that at the time our offensive line was not good at pass protection and needed a more mobile QB with a quick release. We knew there would be growing pains the first time Gibson lined up behind that line.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There’s an “or” there so he could still be starting. But I think I saw on twitter to expect them to play both guys. Believe their guy last year was a Dual Threat kind of QB with a lot of rushing yards. Gibson is not really that kind of guy so wouldn’t be surprised if the other guy can do more with his legs and they don’t want to completely revamp their offense.
The other QB - Veilleux transfered in from Pitt where he played in 7 games starting 5 last year. He is a classic pro-style QB - 6'5, 209. Was ranked as the #14 pro-style QB in his HS class and signed with Penn St out of HS.
In 7 games at Pitt he had 24 rushes for -14 yds (54 gain, 68 loss). Ironically in the 2022 season at GT Gibson had -14 yds rushing in 6 games (23 atts, 52 gain, 66 loss).
In his first start they had a big win over L'ville (12-20, 200 yds, 2 TD). He also had a good game against Wake in a 38-21 loss (28-45, 302 yds, 2 TD).
After that his numbers tailed off big time as they played ND (he threw 4 int's in that game), FSU, and Syracuse and Pitt lost all 3 games.
For the season at Pitt he was 94-184, 1179 yds, 7 TD's, 8 INT's.

Neither him or Gibson are really dual-threat QB's so their rushing attack is going to have to change from last year.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
As to the game itself, I will be curious to see if we open our offensive and defensive playbooks a little more. We have three good chess players on our coaching staff who will not show everything they’ve got in one game but will keep showing a new wrinkle each time as needed, while keeping an eye on who the next opponent is and what we want to hold back on showing them ahead of time.
GT made some mistakes against F$U, and it'd expect them to work on core plays where improvement is needed
He's beginning to get noticed by national media now, but I'm not concerned about it affected him at all...he's a dude and he has the right stuff between the ears.
That video breakdown Aaron Murray did in praising King's decision making, mechanics, and ability vs F$U is the kind of stuff that gets attention without throwing up huge numbers. The zero turnovers number was the biggest to me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
To paraphrase our old friend Paul Johnson, “You don’t beat opponents by running trick plays and gimmicks, you beat them by being better prepared.”

I’m not worried about Ga State trying to surprise us with crazy game plans. We will win the trench warfare on both sides of the ball and wear them down. We have a disciplined well coached team.
One reason I feel better about this game than the B.G. game last season is that this is a much more well-rounded team. It's the first time in a long, long while that I think we don't have any major deficiencies among any position on the field among our starters. The only weak point is depth. The other reason is that I think this year, Brent Key has the team's full, undivided attention. Last year the Jackets were still in transition and more vulnerable to inconsistency. Still wouldn't lay 21 points, though...

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
One reason I feel better about this game than the B.G. game last season is that this is a much more well-rounded team. It's the first time in a long, long while that I think we don't have any major deficiencies among any position on the field among our starters. The only weak point is depth. The other reason is that I think this year, Brent Key has the team's full, undivided attention. Last year the Jackets were still in transition and more vulnerable to inconsistency. Still wouldn't lay 21 points, though...

I think FSUs refusal to even attempt to throw downfield has painted a deceptively glowing picture of our LBs and DBs. I think our secondary is still mediocre (and thin) and our LBs room is probably towards the bottom of the ACC. Although maybe they can all fit into Santucci’s scheme a little better and I’m basing too much on last year. An effective blitzing scheme can be effective and mask a lot of deficiencies.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
There’s an “or” there so he could still be starting. But I think I saw on twitter to expect them to play both guys. Believe their guy last year was a Dual Threat kind of QB with a lot of rushing yards. Gibson is not really that kind of guy so wouldn’t be surprised if the other guy can do more with his legs and they don’t want to completely revamp their offense.
he's a dual threat? oh god. *gets Boston College flashbacks*

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think FSUs refusal to even attempt to throw downfield has painted a deceptively glowing picture of our LBs and DBs. I think our secondary is still mediocre (and thin) and our LBs room is probably towards the bottom of the ACC. Although maybe they can all fit into Santucci’s scheme a little better and I’m basing too much on last year. An effective blitzing scheme can be effective and mask a lot of deficiencies.
Yeah, their QB was weak, but I feel good about these DBs. We'll see what happens when they get tested by a better passer. Efford is a monster at LB. I believe the team's Achilles heel is depth. Gotts keep Efford healthy.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
💯

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I just noticed that we only have 2 seniors in the two deep for offensive linemen on that depth chart. For some reason I thought more of them were seniors. That really bodes well for the future considering some of the young talent already on the team along with the recruits we have for 2025.
It's the 6 seniors on the DL and 3 senior TEs that all have significant playing time that are an issue

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't want to be negative but how unbelievably unprepared Gibson looked against UVA is probably the biggest red mark during Key's tenure as interim/HC. They knew Sims was hobbled from the injury against Duke in OT and Gibson was so hard to watch that it was almost like the coaching staff hadn't anticipated a scenario in which he would potentially play. It was very strange. Maybe the moment was just too big for Gibson but I suspect he did not get nearly as many reps with the first team running up to the game as he should have.
Key had too many holes to plug in the sinking ship in '22. It's easy to think he should have had different priorities.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, their QB was weak, but I feel good about these DBs. We'll see what happens when they get tested by a better passer. Efford is a monster at LB. I believe the team's Achilles heel is depth. Gotts keep Efford healthy.
I was pretty pleased with the secondary overall. FSU didn't take alot of deep shots, but when they did the secondary was right with the receivers most of the time.