GSU game thread

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple thoughts:
  • One of the hallmarks of Saban teams is that they came out and played consistently against all teams without the typical letdown game most college teams experience. Smart was able to instill this at uga and one of the reasons they have been more successful than under Richt. Key's theme this year is consistency, so I really don't expect any major letdowns this year. This team will be ready Saturday night and will have a dominate performance against State.
  • I was optimistic about Santucci as DC based on comments coming out during fall camp. I am overjoyed with the performance of the D in Ireland. Any fan of Tenuta's D (I am one) should really enjoy watching our 3rd down D this year. Opposing offenses will know a blitz is coming but will have no clue where it is coming from. Love it.
  • For those who are already fretting about losing Santucci, during Key's postgame interview he was asked about what they were talking about during their postgame embrace. Key said Santucci told him "Thanks for bringing me here" and Key responded "Thanks for coming". Someone else made the comment that Key was a players and coaches coach. Key is creating an atmosphere where coaches want to come coach with him. I think we may have Faulkner and Santucci for longer than most people think.
  • I'm not sure we will cover 21 points. First teamers should dominate first half and take a 14-17 point lead into halftime. Second half will be a mix of a lot of 2nd and 3rd teamers. Look for Carrie and Harpring to play a fair amount as well as some other freshmen. Second half should be a wash so final will be a 14-17 point win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some of y’all have talked about the trauma that comes with being a Tech fan. Did anyone else but me start worrying that the GSU game thread was started by a different poster than the one who started the FSU game thread???????

This is the level of angst and anxiety that comes with 4+ decades of following the Yellow Jackets.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Some of y’all have talked about the trauma that comes with being a Tech fan. Did anyone else but me start worrying that the GSU game thread was started by a different poster than the one who started the FSU game thread???????

This is the level of angst and anxiety that comes with 4+ decades of following the Yellow Jackets.
8/31 - FB vs. Georgia State

IYKYK

“<<Opponent abbreviation>> game thread” might be the lucky thread title for the football team. We should roll with it until we lose 🤣

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For those who don’t know- This was the Hawks Announcer for years.
Honestly not sure how I feel.
He’s a younger energetic voice, but lacking that more powerful/moving sound that most football PA guys have.

He's absolutely Atlanta radio/media royalty.

This is pretty cool for folks like me who grew up with him as the voice of our generation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

We must remain ever vigilant against such tears in the space time continuum.

whiskeyClear

Georgia Tech Fan
Definitely was worried about the hangover effect of such a big win causing us to come into this week's game flat-footed, but during the offense players' postgame inteview after the FSU game, I believe King and Franklin both made clear statements about getting home and preparing for the GSU game. Seems like they're focused and aware of the risks of letting this win go to their head.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Well…
NOT UNTIL NOW!!!
IMG_0099.gif

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
A couple thoughts:
  • One of the hallmarks of Saban teams is that they came out and played consistently against all teams without the typical letdown game most college teams experience. Smart was able to instill this at uga and one of the reasons they have been more successful than under Richt. Key's theme this year is consistency, so I really don't expect any major letdowns this year. This team will be ready Saturday night and will have a dominate performance against State.
  • I was optimistic about Santucci as DC based on comments coming out during fall camp. I am overjoyed with the performance of the D in Ireland. Any fan of Tenuta's D (I am one) should really enjoy watching our 3rd down D this year. Opposing offenses will know a blitz is coming but will have no clue where it is coming from. Love it.
  • For those who are already fretting about losing Santucci, during Key's postgame interview he was asked about what they were talking about during their postgame embrace. Key said Santucci told him "Thanks for bringing me here" and Key responded "Thanks for coming". Someone else made the comment that Key was a players and coaches coach. Key is creating an atmosphere where coaches want to come coach with him. I think we may have Faulkner and Santucci for longer than most people think.
  • I'm not sure we will cover 21 points. First teamers should dominate first half and take a 14-17 point lead into halftime. Second half will be a mix of a lot of 2nd and 3rd teamers. Look for Carrie and Harpring to play a fair amount as well as some other freshmen. Second half should be a wash so final will be a 14-17 point win.

On the way back to our hotel Sunday night we ran into an FSU fan that said "Key will be gone in a year". We quickly informed him that he had no idea what he was talking about. He would give up salary to keep Faulkner and/or Santucci if they keep up the performance so far. That is before accounting for exactly what you stated as they love coaching with Key. Key wants a Natty at Tech so bad he can almost taste it.

Here's hoping J Batt pulls out the wallet for the staff as donors start pulling out their wallets for GT.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Going through their depth chart, GSU has a slightly undersized OL
RT: 6’3” 285
RG: 6’2” 283
C: 6’1” 285
LG: 6’2” 290
LT: 6’6” 310

For comparison⬇️
Our lightest: RT Robison at 305
Our shortest: C Franklin at 6’4”

This is a step down from the size and talent of the supposedly giant FSU OL. Also a step from who our DL practiced against all off-season.
We might be welcoming zach Gibson back into the BDS by feeding him Hyundai field grass a couple times.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
#1 on the depth chart, according to this:

I saw that depth chart but also saw a comment from one of the 247 guys from Georgia State say they hadn't officially announced the starter so that's why I asked. Thank you.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a little about them. Their QB is Zach Gibson:

Well, at least we know that if it's up to Gibson to throw a Hail Mary for GSU to win, we'll be just fine.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
On the way back to our hotel Sunday night we ran into an FSU fan that said "Key will be gone in a year". We quickly informed him that he had no idea what he was talking about. He would give up salary to keep Faulkner and/or Santucci if they keep up the performance so far. That is before accounting for exactly what you stated as they love coaching with Key. Key wants a Natty at Tech so bad he can almost taste it.

Here's hoping J Batt pulls out the wallet for the staff as donors start pulling out their wallets for GT.
I love how the uninformed masses keep harping that Key will be gone. They are completely unaware of his ties and allegiance to Tech. Tech isn't just another stepping stone for another coach. Tech to Key is home and the ultimate destination.

He ain't going NOWHERE

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Definitely was worried about the hangover effect of such a big win causing us to come into this week's game flat-footed, but during the offense players' postgame inteview after the FSU game, I believe King and Franklin both made clear statements about getting home and preparing for the GSU game. Seems like they're focused and aware of the risks of letting this win go to their head.

The only way to avoid a trap or letdown game is player led team leadership. We have that in spades.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I love how the uninformed masses keep harping that Key will be gone. They are completely unaware of his ties and allegiance to Tech. Tech isn't just another stepping stone for another coach. Tech to Key is home and the ultimate destination.

He ain't going NOWHERE
Exactly! Why would he use tech as a stepping stone when he has come here to make tech the top step