Graham Academically Ineligible

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Before Grahmn the only player Coach was as positive about athletically is Mills.

Big loss.
Not a good way to start a recruiting resurgence.

Hope he can fight back.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
You have no idea what many of the NFL Caliber Recruits are thinking

Tons of those guys graduate from great schools like Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Stanford, ND, NW, Washington, UVa, and others, you name it

1 athlete on a roster of 100 (walk ons included) isn't an indictment of anything, other than that ONE PLAYER didn't get his school work done

Geez, folks with agendas, trying to muddy up everything
I have no agenda here but do indeed have direct information to support both sides of the equation. Example NFL high draft pick from UGA taking all of his classes on line over the last two years of his 3 year stay so he could gain 60 lbs and increase strength. Stated directly to me that he didn't consider Tech because of their rigid class structure. He was told during recruitment that this flexibility was available at UGA. This was a bright kid that chose a factory because of the freedom and flexibility to chase his dream. On the other side of the coin, we have players attending a required lab during a practice. I hate blanket statements from people from both sides of this stupid argument. We just need to continue to sell what we are . We are unique in all of power 5 football and the only power 5 in the ATL!

Animal02

Banned
I have no agenda here but do indeed have direct information to support both sides of the equation. Example NFL high draft pick from UGA taking all of his classes on line over the last two years of his 3 year stay so he could gain 60 lbs and increase strength. Stated directly to me that he didn't consider Tech because of their rigid class structure. He was told during recruitment that this flexibility was available at UGA. This was a bright kid that chose a factory because of the freedom and flexibility to chase his dream. On the other side of the coin, we have players attending a required lab during a practice. I hate blanket statements from people from both sides of this stupid argument. We just need to continue to sell what we are . We are unique in all of power 5 football and the only power 5 in the ATL!
It is not a stupid argument. Certain people just want to turn a blind eye to the structural limitations at Tech. Hell, I was a National Merit Scholar, graduated near the top of my class in H.S., and struggled mightily at Tech. I would not have been academically eligible to play sports most of my time at Tech.....and that was without having to take time for practice etc.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
0554F08B-EB3C-41FB-B8B0-16A0105DA109.jpeg
D3A893EC-5FC5-4DC6-9D73-3C77C6F368C5.jpeg

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, it is not a naive and ignorant comment. This was our highest rated recruit last year, and he is now academically ineligible. I believe Custis was also one of our highest rated recruits, and we know how that worked out.

It will be a challenge to GET and KEEP these guys, when they understand fully the expectations and rigor. I am sure of this, because I am sure PJ and the athletic department did all they could do to help these kids.

GT is not every other school.

Now, I am ready to be called ignorant and naive. That should not happen on this board, but it does.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, it is not a naive and ignorant comment. This was our highest rated recruit last year, and he is now academically ineligible. I believe Custis was also one of our highest rated recruits, and we know how that worked out.

It will be a challenge to GET and KEEP these guys, when they understand fully the expectations and rigor. I am sure of this, because I am sure PJ and the athletic department did all they could do to help these kids.

GT is not every other school.

Now, I am ready to be called ignorant and naive. That should not happen on this board, but it does.
Bruce Jordan the highest rated recruit of the Paul Johnson era, he’s had zero issues. Justin Thomas 5 year player, highest QB of CPJ era, Zero Issues. It was ignorant to assume Graham’s situation is the normality for 4 star recruits and there’s evidence to support that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bruce Jordan the highest rated recruit of the Paul Johnson era, he’s had zero issues. Justin Thomas 5 year player, highest QB of CPJ era, Zero Issues. It was ignorant to assume Graham’s situation is the normality for 4 star recruits and there’s evidence to support that.

Yes, SW, I am not saying there are NO kids rated 4 star that can't handle it. I agree there are, if we can get the right ones. But, I will say, in general, the higher the recruit's ratings, again, in general, the more chance he is only interested in the NFL. In Graham's case, he wanted, like JT, to play QB. When guys that want to play NFL start dealing with academic rigor, it does not always work out very well. Heck, when non football players start dealing with GT academic rigor, it does not always work out very well. :)

All I am saying is that at GT, this should not surprise us, although we certainly hope it is the minority of the time.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
To me it seems that CPJ would take 1 academically risky baller per year that he felt was worth rolling the dice on because they are game changers. JG must have been the one from last years class...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yes, SW, I am not saying there are NO kids rated 4 star that can't handle it. I agree there are, if we can get the right ones. But, I will say, in general, the higher the recruit's ratings, again, in general, the more chance he is only interested in the NFL. In Graham's case, he wanted, like JT, to play QB. When guys that want to play NFL start dealing with academic rigor, it does not always work out very well.

All I am saying is that at GT, this should not surprise us, although we certainly hope it is the minority of the time.
It happens at every school, you think Stanford keeps everyone eligible with ease? My argument wasn’t that Tech has historically had trouble keeping players eligible, my argument was that it’s unfair to judge many because of the actions of one, especially when the majority have done otherwise.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

High NFL draft pick is not in my dreams.
Not sure who on this board thinks that likely in next decade.

A great accomplishment would be to get a few more guys in hs top 100 from ga, ala, fla. Throw in a couple from tx, ca, and other and we are building quality depth.

As a fun recruiting aside - I would like one of the hats in a top recruit s reveal to be a gt hat.

NOW
We are 2 in engineering ( Purdue is 8 and they are getting lots of recruits) and our Business Admin undergraduate degree just moved up from 30 to 21. Gt is very highly rated.

I would approve of an effort to be more flexible in accommodating our athletes, but nothing like your NFL dream example..
Wonder if the new edge center is fancy offices only or if there is any thing to help players academically??

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It happens at every school, you think Stanford keeps everyone eligible with ease? My argument wasn’t that Tech has historically had trouble keeping players eligible, my argument was that it’s unfair to judge many because of the actions of one, especially when the majority have done otherwise.

SW - Did you go to GT? The reason I ask is that I graduated from there, and I have a family member who attended Vanderbilt and another that attended Duke. What I can tell you is that because schools like Stanford and Duke, etc. have non STEM majors, the academic rigor, once they are accepted, can be minimal compared to GT. So, yes, it is easier to keep a kid eligible at Stanford than GT, depending on their major. Let's don't keep this going. It is true, but if you don't believe it, that is fine. Private, academic schools are not like GT.

With that said, if a kid has ZERO desire to do academics, you are right that they will have issues anywhere.