Graham Academically Ineligible

So I know this thread is about Graham, but I have a question. Everybody thinks he or LJ is the QB next year. Why does no one think that Oliver will be the guy. Oliver is a winner and a tough runner. He has height and broke his schools records for passing. What sold me was I think it was the Va Tech game. He dropped back to pass, looked down field, saw no one open and turned to a dump of to Howard who picked up about 20 yards. TQM never went through progressions but that told me Oliver does. Thoughts?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So I know this thread is about Graham, but I have a question. Everybody thinks he or LJ is the QB next year. Why does no one think that Oliver will be the guy. Oliver is a winner and a tough runner. He has height and broke his schools records for passing. What sold me was I think it was the Va Tech game. He dropped back to pass, looked down field, saw no one open and turned to a dump of to Howard who picked up about 20 yards. TQM never went through progressions but that told me Oliver does. Thoughts?
The best QB is always the backup.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

His only pass in the VT game he slipped with his plant foot and the ball came out terribly. He didn’t really need to pass any more that game though. You’re probably thinking of UNC, where he went 2-2.

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't Tech now have some freshmen forgiveness programs in place now? ie retake the class and the first one goes away. But it is only for the freshmen level classes. This could cleanup his issues.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't Tech now have some freshmen forgiveness programs in place now? ie retake the class and the first one goes away. But it is only for the freshmen level classes. This could cleanup his issues.
Yes but you still have to take that class while also catching up so you remain on track to graduate. It is a recoverable situation, but not an easy one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fortunately, they are always on campus during the summer, every summer. This helps them stay on schedule (and allows several to get ahead of schedule). Ironically, the average time for a non-athlete student to get through Tech was over 4 years, so staying on schedule is really tough to do, especially if you start to fall behind in your upper level classes that are only offered once a year.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, I think the minimum for someone's first fall semester is 9 hours and a 1.8 GPA. I am guessing they take a class or two during the summer.

But missing a 1.8 GPA is just really bad when you're a student athlete. And we have an almost 98% freshman retention rate. Hopefully he's learned a lesson now that this stuff is real and Professors are not like high school teachers - if you earn a D or an F here, they will give you one (or many).

Been there... you have to dig out but bring up the average to the minimum right and not have one great semester and everything resets. Depending on how deep the hole is, the digging out part can be incredibly difficult, esp on a semester system (with quarters, well, you had more quarters to work with... but then you can argue that the compressed timeline made things harder than semesters... oh and I guess with Sprig and Summer coming up, it's the same). I wouldn't count him in the fall lineup as a default. Could happen but also good chance it may not.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously? you are saying that the academic experience at Tech is the same as everywhere else? You, sir, are dead wrong, and have lost all credibility.
Milwaukee needs to read the front page headlines in the AJC this morn.

I think the main thing to learn here is that GT will continue to have this happen, at times. They give the student-athletes tremendous amounts of assistance, but they don't take their tests for them.

This is exactly why many of the NFL caliber recruits don't want to put themselves through this possibility. With that said, hopefully CGC can find some that do.

Hopefully, just a learning experience for this young man.

You have no idea what many of the NFL Caliber Recruits are thinking

Tons of those guys graduate from great schools like Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Stanford, ND, NW, Washington, UVa, and others, you name it

1 athlete on a roster of 100 (walk ons included) isn't an indictment of anything, other than that ONE PLAYER didn't get his school work done

Geez, folks with agendas, trying to muddy up everything