Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not an alumnus of the Institute but last time I checked they are not the ones playing. There are no excuses for not playing harder. Sims or no Sims, Gibbs or no Gibbs. That debacle is a direct reflection on the coach, the administration, and the team.
you are right!
u don't have to be an alumni to donate - send the big ole check.
my buddy's friend is an fsu booster that didn't attend college but gave so generously the coach calls him after the game.

can you remember these flops ????

Detroit as the gt men fought for to honor the great ol coach Sewak in his final game against the "row your boat" boys of Minnesota.

what about the epic bowl against Shreveport were the airmen out optioned us 14 -7 even though their falcon flew off. i had 5-6 texas hs coaches and wives as guests - laughing stock material - they loved the gambling in B city.

how bout the one were we felt we were to good to play on a blue field - great effort - right.

things happen

THE CGC - CRASH LANDING IN 2021 WAS NOT AGAINST MINN OR AIR FORCE OR WHO EVER.

At some point you need to acknowledge that a gt season ticket costs the same as a single game ticket between UGA and Alabama.

Can you not comprehend that we have minimal $ to hire coaches?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
you are right!
my buddy's friend is an fsu booster that didn't attend college but gave so generously the coach calls him after the game.

Detroit as the gt men fought for to honor the great ol coach Sewak in his final game against the "row your boat" boys of Minnesota.

what about the epic bowl against Shreveport were the airmen out optioned us 14 -7 even though their falcon flew off. i had 5-6 texas hs coaches and wives as guests - laughing stock material - they loved the gambling in B city.

how bout the one were we felt we were to good to play on a blue field - great effort - right.

things happen

At some point you need to acknowledge that a gt season ticket costs the same as a single game ticket between UGA and Alabama.

One of my favorite movies is 12 Angry Men. A quote from there that fits perfectly here is "He can't you and he never will." It applies to all of us when we have our minds made up about something, it's rare rate rare that they change. That's why talking religion or politics of differing side isn't recommended for family's employees or Swarm Chat participants.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Sure. Of course.

The point is this. By the end of a season your team can be beaten by a superior team but you still should be playing well as a team (theoretically playing your best ball) and making it hard on the other team. If it’s possible, we may have played our worst ball at the end of the season.

I don’t disagree that we didn’t get better as the season went on, but I still don’t think the UGA game is a good indicator of that. We had our backup QB playing. Our best player was “hurt” and they have what will be considered one of the best defenses of all time. I don’t think it’s fair to say our guys quit. The only one who is fair to question is the guy who will be wearing crimson next year.

The last two games of the season were the only two above average teams we played. We just suck. Collins is ****ing awful and the ACC’s averageness made some people think we were actually OK.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Without looking, do you know who played most of the game at center at ND?
Do you know how much playing time he had prior to that game?
Do you know who played most of the game at center against Georgia?
Do you know who played at one of the guards at ND and Georgia?
Do you know if he was a scholarship player or not?
Do you know how many of Collins' recruiting classes last years offensive line represented?
Do you know the heights and weights--even approximately--of the OTs that started in 2018?
Do you understand the importance of an offensive line?
Do you understand the importance of experience on the offensive line?
Do you have any understanding of the depth on the GT OL?
Do you know what the injury situation was on this team going into the ND game--and just because a guy is playing doesn't mean he isn't hurt?

I'm willing to be you don't know the answers to any of those questions. You have a lot of nerve to say they quit.
We have a lot of fans who are bad fans--and it is usually due to ignorance. Why do they get on this board and advertise their ignorance?
Folks getting on here and saying things like Collins' recruits aren't very good or the worst coaching in Tech history are in the same category of ignorance.
You really shouldn’t be calling others ignorant if you think we lost 55-0 to ND because of some inexperience on the OL.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
you are right!

things happen

Can you not comprehend that the reason "...we have minimal $ to hire coaches" is because millions have been squandered on coaches not worthy to carry the much lamented CGC's whistle? None of those supposed "flops" come anywhere close to historic losses to Clemson, The Citadel, Northern Illinois, Pitt, UGA, and Notre Dame. It is not even close.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can you not comprehend that the reason "...we have minimal $ to hire coaches" is because millions have been squandered on coaches not worthy to carry the much lamented CGC's whistle? None of those supposed "flops" come anywhere close to historic losses to Clemson, The Citadel, Northern Illinois, Pitt, UGA, and Notre Dame. It is not even close.
Please run the data in the Knight Commission on Ncaa athletics revenue and spending
It shows DECADES OF CHEAP GIVING GT VERSES EVERYONE IN THE ACC.

Texas AM has 3 times the Alumni and they give at 3 times the per alumni rate compared to gt. Now NIL requires more money Miami hired a new coach 80$mm for 7 or 8 years.

The 2 games that can save cgc are Miami -( they will be so arrogant) & FSU - (they must show progress). Imo, unless he wins , he is gone.

So at end of next year , what's the plan to get $$ to get staff and $$ for NIL,

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Please run the data in the Knight Commission on Ncaa athletics revenue and spending

Texas AM has 3 times the Alumni and they give at 3 times the per alumni rate compared to gt. Now NIL requires more money Miami hired a new coach 80$mm for 7 or 8 years.

The 2 games that can save cgc are Miami -( they will be so arrogant) & FSU - (they must show progress). Imo, unless he wins , he is gone.

Having been involved in a few fundraising efforts over the last 40 years in other lines of work the key was transparency, promising and then delivering. If people perceive management as incompetent or not trustworthy, or that they never deliver on promises, then the capital dries up. Not saying this is Tech’s problem but I am saying Tech has to deliver on being a consistent winner over time or every fund raiser is a one off endeavor with no accumulated momentum.

My own wish is that when CPJ came in and proved he could win we had gone all in on raising assistant salaries, enlarging recruiting staff and updating facilities at the rate this was happening with our competitors and rivals. We seemed to go cheap at the worst possible moments.

Now we are in danger of throwing good money after bad unless somebody has a plan I don’t know about.

But this is Tech. And I’m just talking.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Having been involved in a few fundraising efforts over the last 40 years in other lines of work the key was transparency, promising and then delivering. If people perceive management as incompetent or not trustworthy, or that they never deliver on promises, then the capital dries up. Not saying this is Tech’s problem but I am saying Tech has to deliver on being a consistent winner over time or every fund raiser is a one off endeavor with no accumulated momentum.

My own wish is that when CPJ came in and proved he could win we had gone all in on raising assistant salaries, enlarging recruiting staff and updating facilities at the rate this was happening with our competitors and rivals. We seemed to go cheap at the worst possible moments.

Now we are in danger of throwing good money after bad unless somebody has a plan I don’t know about.

But this is Tech. And I’m just talking.
My feeling about this is, I think, similar to yours. This year has to be critical for the administration to decide about what Tech is going to be, athletically, going forward. We cannot continue to spend like Vanderbilt and lament our inability to compete with uga. It's similar with basketball. Dawn Staley just signed a seven year $22.5 million contract at USCe and other women are beginning to make serious money as head coaches. Nell is making $715K. How do we compete when the admin is unable, or unwilling, to meet the market for top coaches? Will alums continue their support of the AT Fund, even at their current levels, if we make it clear we are no longer trying to beat uga in football?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My feeling about this is, I think, similar to yours. This year has to be critical for the administration to decide about what Tech is going to be, athletically, going forward. We cannot continue to spend like Vanderbilt and lament our inability to compete with uga. It's similar with basketball. Dawn Staley just signed a seven year $22.5 million contract at USCe and other women are beginning to make serious money as head coaches. Nell is making $715K. How do we compete when the admin is unable, or unwilling, to meet the market for top coaches? Will alums continue their support of the AT Fund, even at their current levels, if we make it clear we are no longer trying to beat uga in football?
I think that is the reality of the situation and the result of the chickens coming home to roost. The GTAA has never done much to engage fundraising at scale. Yes, we have a few well-heeled alumni, but operations in every county? Engagement of the total fanbase? Merchandising that sells? No, no, and no. And I'm not sure there is any appetite to do so now.

I don't see the situation changing. Sports like golf, basketball, etc don't really cost much to field and operate and I think on our limited resource base, that's what we will do. We have been in the ACC for over 40 years and should have made Atlanta the Mecca of the conference but ... haven't. I do miss the Homer Rice days as that, for me ... was Tech's Golden Age in the modern era. But today? I'm skeptical of the GTAA and while I hope they right the ship, I have my doubts.

I have mentioned this before, but when asking my buddies in the Alabama booster network, "What, more than anything else ... has Nick Saban contributed to Alabama?", there is one consistent response and it's not about winning natties (although that's nice). The usual response is, "Saban, more than anything else, has been responsible for professionalizing the Athletic Department. All of the good ol' boys are gone ... it's a real business operation."

Until we do THAT, we will always be wondering what the GTAA will do. It almost reminds me of when the Clampetts owned the Falcons. Arthur Blank brought professional management to the Falcons and it has made all the difference.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I've been preaching this for a long time. Until we find the money to hire difference makers and KEEP THEM HERE when they make a difference, we will simply be a rung on the upward mobility ladder in college football. IF/WHEN we find a great coach, we will have 2-3 good seasons before a top tier school lures him away and we start all over again. The landscape of college football has changed dramatically in the last 20 years, and unless we decide to go all in on funding our program, GT will continue to fall further and further behind.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
unless we decide to go all in on funding our program, GT will continue to fall further and further behind.
I think you are correct, but ... I think Tech administration is fine with the level of support that GT athletics receive. They breakeven on athletics (more or less), have some modest success, and can stay focused on academics. I don't think that will ever change.

The message you get from Vanderbilt is that they make it very clear, they don't care about athletics. Sure, they will do well in baseball or golf, but no one in Nashville is going to lose any sleep if the football team goes 3-9 and only beats Gardner-Webb, Alcorn State and South Alabama.

Tech *talks* like they care, but this exchange from Moneyball rings more true every day:

Schott: "Bill, we are small market team and you are a small market GM. I'm asking you to be ok NOT spending money that I don't have. And I'm asking you take a deep breath, shake off the loss, and get back in a room with your guys and figure out how to find replacements for the guys we lost with the money we do have."

That is where we are.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You have a lot of nerve to say they quit.
We have a lot of fans who are bad fans--and it is usually due to ignorance. Why do they get on this board and advertise their ignorance?
Uh huh. I know what I saw, and you saw it too if you'll just admit it. They didn't all quit, but some of them did.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I agree with many of the comments posted recently. The old saying is " we have champagne taste and a beer pocketbook" Homer Rice has been the only AD in my memory that had a plan and executed it. DRad seemed to be on the right track, but we couldn't retain him, for whatever reason(s).
Honestly, I am not very impressed with TStan so far. As an alumni and athlete he certainly has the feel for what we need, but he will be tested severely trying to retain Collier and Fortner, possibly replacing Pastner and Collins.
I moved to Wisconsin when their Athletic Department was a joke. Most teams were REALLY bad. That started to change when they hired Pat Richter ( former player) as AD.
He had a CORPORATE job in Human Resources at Oscar Mayer Foods in Madison. He inherited a progam with a 2.1 Million dollar deficit, and within 3 years had the top rated AD in the Big 10. His first hire was Barry Alvarez, who played at Nebraska ( Bob Devaney) coached at Iowa ( Hayden Fry) and Notre Dame ( Lou Holtz). That, my friends is a pedigree for a Head Coach.
Richter was AD for 15 years. Besides Alvarez, he hired **** Bennett and Bo Ryan as BB HCs. Overall his teams won 50 Big10 titles and were in the top overall AD Depts nationwide consistently.
The point of this "rant" is to put overall responsibility for the AD where it rightfully belongs. Hiring , and retaining , good coaches is where it STARTS. Personnel evaluation is critical and either builds a solid foundation for the program , or it doesn't. With solid coaches on board, the wins will come, and that starts fans and alumni contributing.
The next few (2?) will say much more about the hire of TSTAN than about CGC, IMO.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think you are correct, but ... I think Tech administration is fine with the level of support that GT athletics receive. They breakeven on athletics (more or less), have some modest success, and can stay focused on academics. I don't think that will ever change.

The message you get from Vanderbilt is that they make it very clear, they don't care about athletics. Sure, they will do well in baseball or golf, but no one in Nashville is going to lose any sleep if the football team goes 3-9 and only beats Gardner-Webb, Alcorn State and South Alabama.

Tech *talks* like they care, but this exchange from Moneyball rings more true every day:

Schott: "Bill, we are small market team and you are a small market GM. I'm asking you to be ok NOT spending money that I don't have. And I'm asking you take a deep breath, shake off the loss, and get back in a room with your guys and figure out how to find replacements for the guys we lost with the money we do have."

That is where we are.
Go summary but u miss a key point that makes our ADMIN way less responsive than other college admis to football/bb.
Gt has a garenteed giant income stream thru the research institute that no other program has. We print money doing work for DOD, locked, etc. Add our prime ATL location for innovation and more money rolls in.
Our last pres was the Pres of NCAA board of Gov while there NIL grew legs , the portal, and Super Teams florished. He even had $ irregularidies in research admin. All was fine because Research grew $$$$.

Our hill has little reason to be very involved w athletics. Corporate hill types don't want anything to do with the 200,000,000 Gtaa debt. Never discussed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with many of the comments posted recently. The old saying is " we have champagne taste and a beer pocketbook" Homer Rice has been the only AD in my memory that had a plan and executed it. DRad seemed to be on the right track, but we couldn't retain him, for whatever reason(s).
Honestly, I am not very impressed with TStan so far. As an alumni and athlete he certainly has the feel for what we need, but he will be tested severely trying to retain Collier and Fortner, possibly replacing Pastner and Collins.
I moved to Wisconsin when their Athletic Department was a joke. Most teams were REALLY bad. That started to change when they hired Pat Richter ( former player) as AD.
He had a CORPORATE job in Human Resources at Oscar Mayer Foods in Madison. He inherited a progam with a 2.1 Million dollar deficit, and within 3 years had the top rated AD in the Big 10. His first hire was Barry Alvarez, who played at Nebraska ( Bob Devaney) coached at Iowa ( Hayden Fry) and Notre Dame ( Lou Holtz). That, my friends is a pedigree for a Head Coach.
Richter was AD for 15 years. Besides Alvarez, he hired **** Bennett and Bo Ryan as BB HCs. Overall his teams won 50 Big10 titles and were in the top overall AD Depts nationwide consistently.
The point of this "rant" is to put overall responsibility for the AD where it rightfully belongs. Hiring , and retaining , good coaches is where it STARTS. Personnel evaluation is critical and either builds a solid foundation for the program , or it doesn't. With solid coaches on board, the wins will come, and that starts fans and alumni contributing.
The next few (2?) will say much more about the hire of TSTAN than about CGC, IMO.
In 25 the super conference will be formed - FSU, Miami, Clemson will depart for green pastures. We need for a miracle to occur w Sims or we will be in the left over rack at good will.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In 25 the super conference will be formed - FSU, Miami, Clemson will depart for green pastures. We need for a miracle to occur w Sims or we will be in the left over rack at good will.
I sometimes think maybe we no longer belong in a P5 football conference. Then my hopes and dreams drive away that thought. I wish 1990 weren't so long ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

The "plan" should be not to get involved in any kind of arms race throwing good money after bad. Miami will come to regret, as they have so many times before, throwing $80 million at any coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
"...the left over rack at good will."? What is wrong with where I shop? You are probably right. A super conference will be formed and all 3 of those schools you mentioned will be in it and within a few years find themselves thinking "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Forgive my ignorance but who is "**** Bennett"?