Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
0 donations to Gtaa till they best them 100-0 will not work any better than 0 donations till we beat Duke.

The alums have quit
I am not an alumnus of the Institute but last time I checked they are not the ones playing. There are no excuses for not playing harder. Sims or no Sims, Gibbs or no Gibbs. That debacle is a direct reflection on the coach, the administration, and the team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have tried to forget the UGA game. Sims didn't play and our best RB decided he was hurt. That tells me he had decided to transfer and why bother risking injury in a losing effort. That game was lost well before the team stepped on the field. Maybe not all of them quit but some obviously did IMO.
An interesting thought but in 1978 ELI played Georgia right off the field on an injured ankle until the bastards deliberately injured him again. We were getting smacked one night against a top ten Notre Dame team but Lucious Sanford unloaded on an Irish back so hard that color commentator Paul Horning swore he felt it up in the booth. Whether our men were giving 80% or 90% is not the point, when we are getting curb stomped and it is obvious to untrained eyes that our players are not playing hard then there is a problem. The pine is always a coach's best friend.

JacketFan137

Banned
This discussion is so weird. We were beaten up on the OL, playing our back-up QB, and the Offense couldn't get first downs, let alone score. The Secondary was playing a different game than the front 7 and the Defense was worn down. We played two Top-5 teams. We didn't quit: we were outmatched. I'm not sure why anyone is getting revved up about the last two games. I agree there were games that were telling, but not the last two. Sometimes I just don't get our fans. There was no quit in our guys, we just weren't good enough with the players we had on the field.
i think half this board spends zero time watching football outside of tech games and highlights when uga loses. uga was throttling literally everyone including blowing out a solid arkansas team 37-0 that finished 9-4. michigan was losing 34-3 until 4 minutes left in the game in garbage time.

maybe some guys took some plays off but ultimately even at full strength and everyone going all out we were getting beat at least 35-0 no matter what like uga did against literally everyone

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@Northeast Stinger Quit is a nasty word. I think you're right- demoralized, whipped, beaten down, etc. Maybe have nothing left to play for? Quit, I don't think so. An athlete with any amount of pride or honor does not quit. These are kids trying to persevere thru a very difficult time at a school that's pretty damn unforgiving.
I don’t disagree. I think it is semantics.

Not much starch left in this team by the end of a tough, grueling and disappointing season. I’m not blaming them and I don’t blame them.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This discussion is so weird. We were beaten up on the OL, playing our back-up QB, and the Offense couldn't get first downs, let alone score. The Secondary was playing a different game than the front 7 and the Defense was worn down. We played two Top-5 teams. We didn't quit: we were outmatched. I'm not sure why anyone is getting revved up about the last two games. I agree there were games that were telling, but not the last two. Sometimes I just don't get our fans. There was no quit in our guys, we just weren't good enough with the players we had on the field.
I agree with this in regards to UGA. Not ND. Losing 55-0 to a team that beat FSU, Toledo, and VT by 3 points each isn't just a case of being outmatched unless you feel we are at the same level as a bottom tier FCS team. That was some mixture of below average talent, awful coaching, and general I don't give a s*** about this anymore.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine is a very successful high school coach. He often says, "There is a big difference between losing and getting beat."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree. I think it is semantics.

Not much starch left in this team by the end of a tough, grueling and disappointing season. I’m not blaming them and I don’t blame them.
Mostly, I think it reflects on the coaching staff. I don't know if Geoff lost players in the locker room, but it's apparent he lost them on the field.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I get why the phrase “they quit” triggers some people. And I’m sympathetic. These young men travel a tougher road than most of us ever will and they deserve our appreciation.
This is just flat out wrong. This isn’t the old days. College football players are the most pampered group of students on every campus. From automatic acceptance to everything paid for to free tutors and the best dorms and food on campus. I know several players who played for GT recently. None of them traveled a tougher road than the average student. What made it tough for them is that educationally they never should have been on campus. But their athletic ability earned them the magic pass into GT. They didn’t have to work 1 or 2 jobs because they had everything paid for. Sure, they had long hours with workouts and school work but every student has that issue.

I appreciate every student at GT but to say football players traveled a tougher road is just laughable. You have high school kids getting turned down by GT who have dedicated their lives to high GPA’s and high test scores. These are the kids who travel a tough road. Being dropped off on a campus hundreds or thousands of miles from home, not knowing a soul, with very little support - that’s a tough road which is why GT students kick butt upon graduation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is just flat out wrong. This isn’t the old days. College football players are the most pampered group of students on every campus. From automatic acceptance to everything paid for to free tutors and the best dorms and food on campus. I know several players who played for GT recently. None of them traveled a tougher road than the average student. What made it tough for them is that educationally they never should have been on campus. But their athletic ability earned them the magic pass into GT. They didn’t have to work 1 or 2 jobs because they had everything paid for. Sure, they had long hours with workouts and school work but every student has that issue.

I appreciate every student at GT but to say football players traveled a tougher road is just laughable. You have high school kids getting turned down by GT who have dedicated their lives to high GPA’s and high test scores. These are the kids who travel a tough road. Being dropped off on a campus hundreds or thousands of miles from home, not knowing a soul, with very little support - that’s a tough road which is why GT students kick butt upon graduation.
Are you suggesting we shouldn't have football?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are you suggesting we shouldn't have football?
I’m not suggesting anything other than that D1 football players definitely do not have it more difficult than the average student, especially at GT. The schools will figure out for themselves over the next 20-30 years if it is worth fielding semi pro teams.

If it were up to me I would allow colleges to just recruit players for their teams without making them students. If they wanted to attend GT they could try or they could attend another college and play ball for GT on game days. It’s all a charade anyway and has been for decades.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You and others are more than welcome to your opinions. That said, 45-0 and 55-0 speaks volumes. They quit.
Without looking, do you know who played most of the game at center at ND?
Do you know how much playing time he had prior to that game?
Do you know who played most of the game at center against Georgia?
Do you know who played at one of the guards at ND and Georgia?
Do you know if he was a scholarship player or not?
Do you know how many of Collins' recruiting classes last years offensive line represented?
Do you know the heights and weights--even approximately--of the OTs that started in 2018?
Do you understand the importance of an offensive line?
Do you understand the importance of experience on the offensive line?
Do you have any understanding of the depth on the GT OL?
Do you know what the injury situation was on this team going into the ND game--and just because a guy is playing doesn't mean he isn't hurt?

I'm willing to be you don't know the answers to any of those questions. You have a lot of nerve to say they quit.
We have a lot of fans who are bad fans--and it is usually due to ignorance. Why do they get on this board and advertise their ignorance?
Folks getting on here and saying things like Collins' recruits aren't very good or the worst coaching in Tech history are in the same category of ignorance.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do you know how many of Collins' recruiting classes last years offensive line represented?
Do you know the heights and weights--even approximately--of the OTs that started in 2018?
Do you know what the injury situation was on this team going into the ND game--and just because a guy is playing doesn't mean he isn't hurt?
I'm still trying to understand my wife after 49 years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
An interesting thought but in 1978 ELI played Georgia right off the field on an injured ankle until the bastards deliberately injured him again. We were getting smacked one night against a top ten Notre Dame team but Lucious Sanford unloaded on an Irish back so hard that color commentator Paul Horning swore he felt it up in the booth. Whether our men were giving 80% or 90% is not the point, when we are getting curb stomped and it is obvious to untrained eyes that our players are not playing hard then there is a problem. The pine is always a coach's best friend.

God this is some boomer stuff right here. Examples from 50 years ago and untrained eyes bs.

JacketFan137

Banned
God this is some boomer stuff right here. Examples from 50 years ago and untrained eyes bs.
using anything from before even the bcs era is crazy and honestly even before 2010 is kind of a stretch. this is nowhere near the same game being played. talent across college football has never been so top heavy and the gap is gonna continue to rise

JacketFan137

Banned

I'm willing to be you don't know the answers to any of those questions. You have a lot of nerve to say they quit.
We have a lot of fans who are bad fans--and it is usually due to ignorance. Why do they get on this board and advertise their ignorance?
Folks getting on here and saying things like Collins' recruits aren't very good or the worst coaching in Tech history are in the same category of ignorance.
the second you see someone saying things about players quitting, losing the locker room, transitive property (this team beat this other team by X and we lost to them by Y), you’ve completely missed the mark and invalidated your entire argument imo. those kind of narrative arguments are just easily digestible and parroted by people that can’t make sound football arguments or don’t look at analytics. probably the same people that explain wins or losses as “that team just wanted it more!”.