Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Batt had this move brewing for a while. Kudos to Batt for keeping a lid on it. I know nobody that mentioned Stoudamire and have not seen his name come up before the last 24 hrs. He must have found his leaker and capped that one off.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What head coach that we are considering has proven he can recruit and fund the NIL

Other head coaches we were considering had obvious selling points though that Stoudamire lacks. I don't know what his is. Recruiting and NIL were mentioned so I questioned that.

I agree with this, but these dominoes fell into place entirely too quickly and easily, did they not? I like the hire and if it all goes down as advertised, I have to believe it’s been going a little longer than the weekend.

There's no doubt that if it happened that quick it was in the works before. But again, I don't see why we fire a coach, basically skip the coaching search process, for someone with his resume. That's a move for a no brainer coaching hire, which this is far from. It's just super weird.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the names that were out there (realistically), I actually like this hire.

That Pacific job was supposed to have been a very tough one that he turned around. Him having both NBA and NBA (assistant) coaching experience will be a plus in recruiting. Amir Abdul-Rahim (Kennesaw State) was my choice before his name came up.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
How that work out for them?
Move the goalposts much? My comment was that hiring a former NBA player will help with recruiting and NIL. You said that it had no impact on recruiting at Georgetown. I showed it did. Now, you are asking what they did with that talent. That has nothing to do with my original comment. To answer, they did win their conference in 2021, but Ewing is not a good coach.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Other head coaches we were considering had obvious selling points though that Stoudamire lacks. I don't know what his is. Recruiting and NIL were mentioned so I questioned that.
He has some of the obvious selling point as others. You choose to ignore them.

He turned around a program that stank, which was coming off sanctions, and turned it into a winner in four years. He was WCC CoY. He has coaching experience at major programs and in the NBA. He has relationships everywhere, including in Atlanta where his children grew up and he is the godfather of one of our players.

Damon Stoudamire is also a name that will open doors with AAU and HS coaches. It will draw the attention of sidewalk fans, parents of basketball players, and our former basketball players. He is well respected and liked. The name carries weight, even if some HS players do not recognize him.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

He turned around a program that stank, which was coming off sanctions, and turned it into a winner in four years. He was WCC CoY. He has coaching experience at major programs and in the NBA. He has relationships everywhere, including in Atlanta where his children grew up and he is the godfather of one of our players.

Damon Stoudamire is also a name that will open doors with AAU and HS coaches. It will draw the attention of sidewalk fans, parents of basketball players, and our former basketball players. He is well respected and liked. The name carries weight, even if some HS players do not recognize him.
All of what you say is true. But the program he “turned around” he left almost immediately. Not knocking anything he did, just saying he had one good year and then was gone. Sounds similar to the knocks on AAR and a couple others.
Bottom line; I hope he’s a coach. If he is a coach and we can improve our NIL / recruiting some, we’ve got ourselves a nice future. If he is coming here simply because we think we can start pulling NBA lottery talent overnight, I’m not bullish on our prospects.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
On the surface I like this. Want to see terms, etc. But he has the gravitas from the league to both put us in front of players in the local scene and know how to coach BB.

I am optimistic he is enough of a "name" to help move the NIL contributions forward. I don't expect lottery guys any time soon but this looks legit. I also have to believe there is some connection between Batt and him for this to happen this quickly.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
All of what you say is true. But the program he “turned around” he left almost immediately. Not knocking anything he did, just saying he had one good year and then was gone. Sounds similar to the knocks on AAR and a couple others.
Bottom line; I hope he’s a coach. If he is a coach and we can improve our NIL / recruiting some, we’ve got ourselves a nice future. If he is coming here simply because we think we can start pulling NBA lottery talent overnight, I’m not bullish on our prospects.
I agree that his leaving after his one good season is questionable, but he did go to the NBA and apparently did well with Celtics as an assistant.

I doubt we are going to start pulling lottery talent, but if he can consistently recruit between the top 50 and top 200, then that will be a vast improvement on recruiting since Hewitt left.

I also think we need to help him with assistant coaches, so we need to up our pool of money for assistant and secondary staff resources.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

By winner you mean one year of finishing tied for third in conference. That is significantly lower success than almost any other candidates that has been talked about seriously. Yes it's a hard job, but so were several other jobs that coaches mentioned took on and had more success at. His ties to Atlanta are flimsy at best with little reason to believe they are meaningful for recruiting the way AAR's or Hunter's might be. The vast majority of his career has been on the west coast from his playing days to most of his coaching.

He has name recognition (among people who can remember the mid 90s) going for him for whatever that's worth.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
By winner you mean one year of finishing tied for third in conference. That is significantly lower success than almost any other candidates that has been talked about seriously. Yes it's a hard job, but so were several other jobs that coaches mentioned took on and had more success at. His ties to Atlanta are flimsy at best with little reason to believe they are meaningful for recruiting the way AAR's or Hunter's might be. The vast majority of his career has been on the west coast from his playing days to most of his coaching.

He has name recognition (among people who can remember the mid 90s) going for him for whatever that's worth.
The WCC is very imbalanced. Gonzaga is a national power. BYU was in the top 15 that year. Pacific tied with the other basketball power, St. Mary's.

That is an impressive feat that should not be discounted with no context.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

1. You can poop on it if you want, but he was the WCC coach of the year that year. You can also ignore the context that they had fired their previous coach for violations and were coming off sanctions. But you can believe what you want to believe.
2. Flimsy? Both his sons grew up in Atlanta. He is godfather to one of our own basketball players. He may not have the connections that AAR does, but you are kidding yourself if you think he has no connections or carries no weight with AAU or HS coaches.