Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I really just don't understand this at all. If the argument is for increased NIL and recruiting, where is the basis for that based on the hire?
Not sure if you are serious. Do you not think hiring a former NBA player with relationships everywhere in the basketball community would not have a positive impact on recruiting and NIL?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate to ask a dumb question, but I remember when the Atlanta Hawks were coached by Lenny Wilkins, and they told him that “if you keep winning, you’ll make the hall of fame” (Wilkins was already in the NBA HOF). They didn’t really know who their coach was, and you would think NBA players would know the hall of famers

Do 16 year olds get Damon Staudamire, or are his playing days too long ago?
Do you know who knows his name? All the AAU and HS coaches in Atlanta, all the parents of the basketball players, all our former players, and many of our rich boosters.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hate to ask a dumb question, but I remember when the Atlanta Hawks were coached by Lenny Wilkins, and they told him that “if you keep winning, you’ll make the hall of fame” (Wilkins was already in the NBA HOF). They didn’t really know who their coach was, and you would think NBA players would know the hall of famers

Nope; they don’t remember him as a player and I don’t think that matters. They have to like him as a coach. The fact that he has been where they want to go is credibility but I don’t think immediate name recognition is selling any teenagers. They’ll be told who he is.
For what it’s worth, I’d say the same thing about Deion, Stackhouse, H Davis J Howard, etc. Funny story about Wilkins illustrates that...a lot of guys can play. A lot of guys can coach. Very few can play AND coach at this level or above.

slugboy

Staff member
Ice Cube Friday GIF by HBO Max

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if you are serious. Do you not think hiring a former NBA player with relationships everywhere in the basketball community would not have a positive impact on recruiting and NIL?

So pure speculation rather than something he has actually proven? He could very well work out fine, but this doesn't seem like a fire on friday and hire on monday type of hire.

He has answered this himself. The answer was no 6 years ago. I doubt it's any better now.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Someone needs to do a poll on whether we should like our new coach or skip right to the bitching and moaning. It’s probably too early for most to start on the hate, but there no doubt will be a few eager beavers chomping at the bit to claim they were first.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Works both ways. The coaches that we might have been interested in may not be interested in us. May have said not interested or have other suitors with more money and less challenges.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So pure speculation rather than something he has actually proven? He could very well work out fine, but this doesn't seem like a fire on friday and hire on monday type of hire.

He has answered this himself. The answer was no 6 years ago. I doubt it's any better now.
I agree with this, but these dominoes fell into place entirely too quickly and easily, did they not? I like the hire and if it all goes down as advertised, I have to believe it’s been going a little longer than the weekend.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone needs to do a poll on whether we should like our new coach or skip right to the bitching and moaning. It’s probably too early for most to start on the hate, but there no doubt will be a few eager beavers chomping at the bit to claim they were first.
Too late, fonts are already trashing the hire.