Georgia Tech Head Coach Hot List

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is a big shift from "Furman coach locked in" to "Damon Stoudamire off the top rope with a piledriver" (sorry to mix a wresting ref in)
Love the star player who made to NBA and has been coaching.
Give him
- low pay first year but big NIL
- commit to bigger $ for ASSTANTS AND ANALYSTS.
- ladder performace bonuses 5 years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what ties to Atlanta ties Stoudamire so if someone could feel me in. And I know Pacific is seen as a very hard job but it'd be hard for me to get excited by someone who's college win% as head coach is 48% and conference win percentage is 42% regardless, especially since everything about him screams west coast guy. It was reported he was a leading candidate for the Arizona job so sounds like he's highly thought of though so there's that.
Yeah, I am ambivalent to Damon Stoudamire. There are definitely some things to really like, but his record at Pacific does leave a lot to be desired. I say give him an interview, but I still would prefer Richey.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
McKay from Liberty. Kelsey, Richey, Abdur-Rahim, Hunter, Rhoades.
ETA- From the AJC article, the six names.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I really like this guy, making the Tournament 3 of the last 5.

2021. Mike Rhoades $1,700,000(before bonuses)
2020 Mike Rhoades $1,500,000(before signing the extension)

Additional Compensation: Coach is entitled to all revenues received in connection with operation of summer camps.
Notes: $459,000 in base salary, $1,041,000 in supplemental compensation
Max Bonus: $542,500 plus $4,000 per student-athlete who graduates by summer of completion of eligibility, $2,000 per student-athlete who graduates within one year after completion of eligibility and $3,500 per national television appearance
Buyout if Fired Without Cause: 100% of remaining base salary ($2,754,000), supplemental compensation ($7,146,000) and employer-portion of benefits for the remainder of the term
Buyout if Coach Terminates Contract: $1 million
Contract Term Ends: April 30, 2025

2019 Mike Rhoades $1,200,000
2018 Mike Rhoades $1,200,000

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I am ambivalent to Damon Stoudamire. There are definitely some things to really like, but his record at Pacific does leave a lot to be desired. I say give him an interview, but I still would prefer Richey.
His record ends up similar to Abdur Rahim. Went to a tough place to coach and had them winning games by the time he left. In this case, makes sense to consider the progression rather than the overall.

Saying this to put him forth as a very justifiable candidate, rather than state my view on where I'd place him in a pecking order.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Personally, I would be happy with Bob Richey from Furman or Andy Kennedy or Pat Kelsey or Mike Rhoades.

Although, I was a Willie Fritz guy through and through.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
His record ends up similar to Abdur Rahim. Went to a tough place to coach and had them winning games by the time he left. In this case, makes sense to consider the progression rather than the overall.

Saying this to put him forth as a very justifiable candidate, rather than state my view on where I'd place him in a pecking order.
Yeah, I would him behind Abdur Rahim, because of the lack of experience at a school like Tech and the fact her has not recruited here. but, yes, similar profile.

slugboy

Staff member
I hate to ask a dumb question, but I remember when the Atlanta Hawks were coached by Lenny Wilkins, and they told him that “if you keep winning, you’ll make the hall of fame” (Wilkins was already in the NBA HOF). They didn’t really know who their coach was, and you would think NBA players would know the hall of famers

Do 16 year olds get Damon Staudamire, or are his playing days too long ago?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So, looking at his record at Pacific more carefully. He took over a team who had fired their previous coach for violations and was coming off sanctions. He took them to a winning team in year four and was WCC CoY in 2021. A lot of transfers from community colleges and lower level programs.