Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Memphis is getting their Pitt moment. Run out a coach that was pretty successful until the last couple of years...then get a replacement that makes them wish they had their old coach back.

Be careful what you wish for.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
I guess I don't get it. We made a horrible coaching hire so we should laugh at Memphis for being in the same boat?

At the end of the day, we still have to have Josh Pastner run our program for at least the next 4 years. That's punishment enough.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I guess I don't get it. We made a horrible coaching hire so we should laugh at Memphis for being in the same boat?

At the end of the day, we still have to have Josh Pastner run our program for at least the next 4 years. That's punishment enough.

This hire wasn't horrible by any means. It's a certain upgrade over what we had with a fairly favorable contract.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I feel your pain, vad. But, at this point, may as well hope for the best. A quick board-search will reveal who most had as their 'heck no' candidate. Spoiler alert, his name rhymes with Posh Jastner. I may/may not have been one of those individuals :oops:.

Still, to perpetuate the vitriol just promotes that toxic environment that existed at the end of Hew's tenure. Nothing good comes from it. I've lurked on TOS long enough to know you're one of the good bball fonts in the GT community so I'm hoping you come out of that fog, brutha.

See past your prejudice, see past the MEM days, see past all the negativity ... and fully embrace our new coach ... CPast!

(Ah c'mon, it wasn't that bad.)

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Should I have come out of the Brian Gregory fog? Everyone who followed the sport/program knew it was a horrible, horrible, horrible hire and *gasp* it was. This hire is the same (hell, it's actually WORSE imo).

This program isn't just dead, it's had last rights read to it and it's 6 feet under and now we're starting to throw dirt on top of it. Sorry if I don't jump for joy while it's happening.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
This hire wasn't horrible by any means. It's a certain upgrade over what we had with a fairly favorable contract.

I would strongly disagree. Gregory had better teams the past several years, and either way at the bare minimum I knew he wouldn't embarrass the program or the school. I have no such faith in Pastner, a coach who tried to screw over one of his players (a local kid from Memphis, by the way - torpedoing all good will he had with any of the local hoops community) to the point that player had to sue the school to get his transfer.

And if you don't know what I am talking about, wait until Austin Nichols drops 55 on us next year and spends half the game flexing in front of our bench. It's coming.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Should I have come out of the Brian Gregory fog? Everyone who followed the sport/program knew it was a horrible, horrible, horrible hire and *gasp* it was. This hire is the same (hell, it's actually WORSE imo).

This program isn't just dead, it's had last rights read to it and it's 6 feet under and now we're starting to throw dirt on top of it. Sorry if I don't jump for joy while it's happening.
Time will tell, but it has the potential to be a nice change for all of us at GT.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Geez dude. Alls I'm saying is hope for the best. There's nothing you're expressing that most of us aren't already aware of (including the Nichols situation). We're just choosing not to wallow in it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

After we were (reportedly, depending on who you believe) were turned down by Drew, Holtmann (and possibly Martin and Capel) which way would you have liked Bobblehead to go? McCall?

I'm seriously asking. Not being a d!ck....

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
After we were (reportedly, depending on who you believe) were turned down by Drew, Holtmann (and possibly Martin and Capel) which way would you have liked Bobblehead to go? McCall?

I'm seriously asking. Not being a d!ck....

I would have hired a promising assistant off a major college or NBA bench, or a very young low major coach, or maybe a guy doing exciting stuff in the NBDL even (Nate Bjorkgren isn't in the NBDL anymore, but I'd have damn sure called him for example or maybe Jesse Murmuys or Matt Brase who both have college experience from Arizona as well) ... if you're going to roll the dice, roll them hard. Don't go for the guy with tons of baggage that you know exists. Would it have worked? Likely not, but at least you are trying ... hiring retreads like Gregory and Pastner is just sitting on the road to disaster and not even trying to turn the wheel.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I would have hired a promising assistant off a major college or NBA bench, or a very young low major coach, or maybe a guy doing exciting stuff in the NBDL even (Nate Bjorkgren isn't in the NBDL anymore, but I'd have damn sure called him for example or maybe Jesse Murmuys or Matt Brase who both have college experience from Arizona as well) ... if you're going to roll the dice, roll them hard. Don't go for the guy with tons of baggage that you know exists. Would it have worked? Likely not, but at least you are trying ... hiring retreads like Gregory and Pastner is just sitting on the road to disaster and not even trying to turn the wheel.

Ultimately I agree. Pastner was #1 on my hell no list. I was in the Laranaga/McCall corners after Martin reportedly fell through..

That said, I've been down for so long I'm grasping for any reason to be optimistic again. At only 38 hopefully JP has learned something

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would strongly disagree. Gregory had better teams the past several years, and either way at the bare minimum I knew he wouldn't embarrass the program or the school. I have no such faith in Pastner, a coach who tried to screw over one of his players (a local kid from Memphis, by the way - torpedoing all good will he had with any of the local hoops community) to the point that player had to sue the school to get his transfer.

And if you don't know what I am talking about, wait until Austin Nichols drops 55 on us next year and spends half the game flexing in front of our bench. It's coming.

No. He had a better team last year. That's it. And it came because of a bunch of merc transfers who are now all gone leaving our program with no talent for next year. As far as embarrassing the program, taking Poole, and his brother to help land him, and taking the son of Carter's AAU coach to help land Carter is embarrassing. Taking a player who walked out on his previous team is embarrassing. Taking a player who is clearly running from competition, on his own team for playing time, is embarrassing. Bringing in a former player who got caught with a prostitute before the NIT championship game to be a GA is embarrassing.

And we'll probably get worked quite often next year. Barring late additions, next year's team is the GT team with the least talent in 30 years. That has nothing to do with Pastner, and everything to do with the hack we just got rid of.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ultimately I agree. Pastner was #1 on my hell no list. I was in the Laranaga/McCall corners after Martin reportedly fell through..

That said, I've been down for so long I'm grasping for any reason to be optimistic again. At only 38 hopefully JP has learned something

The sad thing is that we apparently didn't actually even try to go after Martin. If you have Josh and Cuonzo ringing the bell, I'm answering the second door. That said, here's hoping that our coach shuts me up.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
The hope is that he is Quinn Snyder basically, a guy who was very young and trainwrecked a major program and then got his stuff together and is a big success.

Except Snyder went to the NBDL, learned some hard lessons and really put work in. He didn't fail upwards from Missouri.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The hope is that he is Quinn Snyder basically, a guy who was very young and trainwrecked a major program and then got his stuff together and is a big success.

Except Snyder went to the NBDL, learned some hard lessons and really put work in. He didn't fail upwards from Missouri.

He was at a HS somewhere in there too IIRC

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of these post are pathetic. Everyone make mistakes in life, not everyone learn from them but I would say that a majority do. Some people are just bitter and not giving CJP a chance. Wait to see if he has change for the best, before you continue to put him down. I for one think this was a good hire and with some good assist coaches, maybe this will be our last hire. Let us for the sake of the program stop bashing what happen before and pull for him to have success here.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give him a chance but to say the pundits in the press are not excited about the hire would be an understatement. I haven't seen a positive article yet.