Georgia Tech has hired Josh Pastner

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A lot of the pundits also thought gregory was a great coach who had GT on the right track.

Pundits on BG hiring: "He's a guy from the Izzo coaching tree so we know his teams will rebound. Won the NIT at Dayton, uh, uh, did I mention he worked for Izzo?"

Pundits on BG firing: "I mean, how could they fire the guy. He just won 21 games and had his best team, blah, blah, blah ..."

IOW, their "analysis" is as deep as a frisbee.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Pundits on BG hiring: "He's a guy from the Izzo coaching tree so we know his teams will rebound. Won the NIT at Dayton, uh, uh, did I mention he worked for Izzo?"

Pundits on BG firing: "I mean, how could they fire the guy. He just won 21 games and had his best team, blah, blah, blah ..."

IOW, their "analysis" is as deep as a frisbee.

Top aide or bottom side?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Reasonable article. Soft sold some of the past issues but that is expected.
Seems all the positive commentary comes down to "We could have done a lot worse"

OK - is what it is at this point. He has a shot so let's see what happens.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
We can spin the Pastner hire to meet our pre-hire expectations of who we thought wanted the job and we can spin the short career of the actual hire.

The one piece of info I want to se is who called MBob after the CBG firing and asked to be interviewed for the job.

Maybe the ajc can do a FOIA request if the GTAA is covered by that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Of course it is an opinion piece but his opinion seems reasonable given the interviews and slices of data he chose to base his opinion on.

The success of the article, in my mind, is that to disagree with Schultz means you have to start with a "guilty until he proves himself innocent" approach to Pastner and then set about to find all the evidence that proves your starting conclusion correct.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think by now we all know what we're getting with Pastner:

Either he's willing to accept help and input from a more seasoned coach with gameday strategy and dealing with his players as players and not "Uncle Pastner", he's going to be a very good get. He still has very high upside....

...or he digs in his heals and keeps doing what he did in Memphis. Doesn't get/accept help from a more seasoned coach, and takes mismanages players.

If it's route 1, we could have a heck of a coach. The guy is still considered a VERY good recruiter, and possibly an elite recruiter if he can get a great assistant plugged into the AAU scene. Combine his potential on the recruiting trail with gameday strategy of a seasoned coach, and GT could be back sooner than later.

If it's route 2, GT will be more talented, but he'll be the 3rd straight coach we've had to buy out.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I think by now we all know what we're getting with Pastner:

Either he's willing to accept help and input from a more seasoned coach with gameday strategy and dealing with his players as players and not "Uncle Pastner", he's going to be a very good get. He still has very high upside....

...or he digs in his heals and keeps doing what he did in Memphis. Doesn't get/accept help from a more seasoned coach, and takes mismanages players.

If it's route 1, we could have a heck of a coach. The guy is still considered a VERY good recruiter, and possibly an elite recruiter if he can get a great assistant plugged into the AAU scene. Combine his potential on the recruiting trail with gameday strategy of a seasoned coach, and GT could be back sooner than later.

If it's route 2, GT will be more talented, but he'll be the 3rd straight coach we've had to buy out.
I think this a really good hire for GT for the following 1. Mike Bobinski knows how to build a BB program and has a proven track record 2. Calapari endorses CJP for us and GT for him 3. Lute endorses him and us 4. He embraces the academics and will use it as strength.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Out of the candidates that were mentioned, I'm ok with his hire. Just didn't see a guy like Drew coming in here and recruiting in the ACC or locking local talent up like Pastner has the potential to. Just need to surround him with some good X and O assistant coaches and I think MBob has thought this thru and made it clear to Pastner what the overall plan will be.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
MBob was on Chuck and Chernoff yesterday. He said he was in California talking to a coach, but it wasn't Cuonzo Martin. He said CM wasn't ever considered as a candidate. When pressed who it was that he was in Cali for, Mbob said, just because he went to talk to a coach in CA, doesn't mean he was a coach of a school in CA.

I looked up who was playing at the time and the NCAA regional final was going on in Anaheim (Oregon v Oklahoma). Was he talking to Dana Altman (Oregon), presumably?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MBob was on Chuck and Chernoff yesterday. He said he was in California talking to a coach, but it wasn't Cuonzo Martin. He said CM wasn't ever considered as a candidate. When pressed who it was that he was in Cali for, Mbob said, just because he went to talk to a coach in CA, doesn't mean he was a coach of a school in CA.

I looked up who was playing at the time and the NCAA regional final was going on in Anaheim (Oregon v Oklahoma). Was he talking to Dana Altman (Oregon), presumably?

Where was Boston Celtics playing that week? (Laranaga)