Georgia Tech Bowl Projections

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Bowl selections give absolutely no indication to standings. Only overall record in the fact that a 6-6 team can't be chosen before a 7-5 team. Fact of the matter is that besides the PAC-12 South, the ACC was far and out the worst division in college football, with Duke's win over Northwestern being the ONLY P5 OOC victory. That is...... bad. The rest of the coastal games were decided by the fact that by some way or another, one team had to win them and one team had to lose.

The fact that there are so many 6-6 and 7-5 teams makes it more complicated, as they all can be chosen theoretically evenly. Bowl games do get to pick their teams, and head to head doesn't mean **** unless you won your division. No if ands or buts. Want a better game? Schedule weak (this year we did, so i don't want to hear crap) OOC and you have a good shot at getting a better bowl

At the end of the day:
Clemson is in the playoff

Pitt gets a tier 1 no matter what
NCSU gets a tier 1 no matter what
Syracuse will get chosen for a tier 1 no matter what

Duke's best wins are NW, Army, GT, Miami
GT's best wins are VT, Miami, UVA
Miami's best wins are VT and Pitt (FIU and Toledo not bad either)
UVA's best wins are Ohio, Miami, Duke,
VT's best wins are Duke, UVA, MArshall

Miami and Duke each have the most wins over bowl eligible teams.
VT and UVA were each ranked at one point
Then there's GT

We never did anything significant enough at any point in the season, relative to everyone else, to solicit a better bowl game IMO
Just the nature of the selection process being by records.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
At this point I’m just happy we made a bowl with the way we started the season. That being said, while getting hot the last half of the year, we really didn’t beat anyone that was all that good record wise. Not taking anything away from the kids or the staff but I wonder if the bowl selection people look at who we’ve played/beaten.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
At this point I’m just happy we made a bowl with the way we started the season. That being said, while getting hot the last half of the year, we really didn’t beat anyone that was all that good record wise. Not taking anything away from the kids or the staff but I wonder if the bowl selection people look at who we’ve played/beaten.

Who has UVA beaten to make the bowl selection committees think they should be chosen over us? Or miami? Or Vt?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Who has UVA beaten to make the bowl selection committees think they should be chosen over us? Or miami? Or Vt?
I think you're kind of making his point. It's all a wash. Nothing super impressive for any team and all ended with pretty much the same record. So they're likely to decide based on ticket sales and ratings.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you're kind of making his point. It's all a wash. Nothing super impressive for any team and all ended with pretty much the same record. So they're likely to decide based on ticket sales and ratings.

I guess my point is that the fact that head to head obviously doesn't mean anything is crap. We beat all those teams, why should they get a better bowl?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my point is that the fact that head to head obviously doesn't mean anything is crap. We beat all those teams, why should they get a better bowl?
We lost to Duke, so how do we consider that?

If we don't get a Tier 1, which essentially only has 1 open slot out of 4, it's all the same to me personally.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I’m currently watching the ESPN College Football Playoff Show (at 12:47 pm now). I’m hoping sometime later during this program they will announce all of the bowl selections.