Georgia Tech Bowl Projections

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I love how 90% of the sports analysts predict us to go to the #8-10 ACC bowl game even though we tied for 4th.

Probably because our fans don’t travel well. The bowl that gets us will probably do so because they drew the short straw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Probably because our fans don’t travel well. The bowl that gets us will probably do so because they drew the short straw.

Wake, Duke etc don’t even travel well to their own home games. We travel very well when it’s reasonably close, like the Gator Bowl in 2016 most recently. If we get Charlotte or Nashville or Jacksonville, I’m sure we’ll travel just fine.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For the love of God please Belk Bowl invite Georgia Tech for the first time in history! Tech fans desperately need an attractive bowl matchup nearby enough to travel to. This game is usually vs SEC and this year it’s on a Saturday too. We need this!

They did have uga vs Louisville a few years back, one of the only times they didn't have an NC or Virginia team.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Wake, Duke etc don’t even travel well to their own home games. We travel very well when it’s reasonably close, like the Gator Bowl in 2016 most recently. If we get Charlotte or Nashville or Jacksonville, I’m sure we’ll travel just fine.

We didn’t even sell our allotment to the Gator Bowl in 2016, according to what I’ve read.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
That was because of the game in Ireland

Yeah I attended the 2016 TaxSlayer Bowl and was pretty disappointed in our fans. We couldn’t outdraw Kentucky to once-in-a-decade Jacksonville after missing-out on a bowl the year before. But the Ireland thing keeps coming up as a pretty valid explanation. Put us in the Belk this year and we should bring a good crowd.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I attended the 2016 TaxSlayer Bowl and was pretty disappointed in our fans. We couldn’t outdraw Kentucky to once-in-a-decade Jacksonville after missing-out on a bowl the year before. But the Ireland thing keeps coming up as a pretty valid explanation. Put us in the Belk this year and we should bring a good crowd.

Those of us in attendance decided the reason Kensucky brought a "some what" bigger crowd is because they were leaving Kentucky for any excuse necessary!

Deleted member 2897

We didn’t even sell our allotment to the Gator Bowl in 2016, according to what I’ve read.

When I do a search for that, what I see is that we sold out all of our club seats, and that ticket sales were described as “brisk”. The club seats by the way are the several thousand seats in the lower center of that stadium.

I did not sign on to pay for tickets in Georgia Techs block initially, because you had to do so blind and had no control over where are your seats might be. Once the initial period was over, all of that initial block was sold out.

I went to the game, and it felt about 60/40 Kentucky/Georgia Tech. When you consider the size of alumni for Kentucky, I was pleasantly surprised with how well our ticket sales and attendance was.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
When I do a search for that, what I see is that we sold out all of our club seats, and that ticket sales were described as “brisk”. The club seats by the way are the several thousand seats in the lower center of that stadium.

I did not sign on to pay for tickets in Georgia Techs block initially, because you had to do so blind and had no control over where are your seats might be. Once the initial period was over, all of that initial block was sold out.

I went to the game, and it felt about 60/40 Kentucky/Georgia Tech. When you consider the size of alumni for Kentucky, I was pleasantly surprised with how well our ticket sales and attendance was.

A related article:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/taxslayer-bowl-president-thank-god-for-kentucky-fans/

Deleted member 2897

So according to that article, Kentucky purchased roughly 12,000 seats and Georgia Tech purchased roughly 8,000. That would jive with my rough guess of 60/40.

Attendance was 2,000 people more than last year’s Louisville Mississippi State game by the way.

Also, keep in mind the bias when quoting certain sources like that one. :D Per capita based on alumni size,we sold a commensurate amount of tickets as Kentucky.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So according to that article, Kentucky purchased roughly 12,000 seats and Georgia Tech purchased roughly 8,000. That would jive with my rough guess of 60/40.

Attendance was 2,000 people more than last year’s Louisville Mississippi State game by the way.

Also, keep in mind the bias when quoting certain sources like that one. :D Per capita based on alumni size,we sold a commensurate amount of tickets as Kentucky.

The data in the article is quoted from the Florida Times Union. Is that a Kentucky biased source? Anyway, I don’t see where you got 8,000 GT tickets sold out of that article. Maybe the estimated 20,000 out of town guests minus the 12,000 Kentucky tickets sold out of their allotment? To me, that’s a very rough estimate, at best. Regardless, using your number, UK fans brought 50% more fans over a greater distance. If the bowl presidents do consider the size of the alumni base, that would be a negative for us when compared to the colleges who give out diplomas by throwing them in your window as you drive past their campus.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, I went to Ireland but not the bowl game that year. I think my wife still thinks about the New Year’s Eve Orange Bowl in 2014 when I refused to leave the TV. It was totally worth it but it will be a long while before I get to celebrate New Year’s with the Jackets again.[emoji23]

Deleted member 2897

The data in the article is quoted from the Florida Times Union. Is that a Kentucky biased source? Anyway, I don’t see where you got 8,000 GT tickets sold out of that article. Maybe the estimated 20,000 out of town guests minus the 12,000 Kentucky tickets sold out of their allotment? To me, that’s a very rough estimate, at best. Regardless, using your number, UK fans brought 50% more fans over a greater distance. If the bowl presidents do consider the size of the alumni base, that would be a negative for us when compared to the colleges who give out diplomas by throwing them in your window as you drive past their campus.

I’ve been saying they brought 50% more people. Commensurate to our alumni base we bought a similar number of tickets.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I was there as well and was disappointed with GT attendance. However, this was UKs first bowl game since the 2009 season, and their bowl that year was the BBV Compass bowl in Birmingham. If you’re living in Kentucky, Jacksonville would be considered a luxury vacation.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If G-Tech gets Purdue in the Pinstripe Bowl that will be a very nice way to end the year. Get a Big 10 opponent in NYC.

If they get the Sun Bowl, what are likely opponent options?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Talking about mediocrity in college football, the ACC coastal is the poster child this year. All 5 of the bowl eligible teams finished 7-5 in regular season play.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk