GEORGIA TECH BASKETBALL HOSTS VIRGINIA TECH 2/17/2018

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TJ doesn't square his body and turns when he shoots. That causes his inconsistency. It can be overcome with hours of practice but he is so athletic he has always been able to attack the rim and not rely on his shot.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
TJ doesn't square his body and turns when he shoots. That causes his inconsistency. It can be overcome with hours of practice but he is so athletic he has always been able to attack the rim and not rely on his shot.
Exactly,First thing I would have him do is square up

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a shot doctor, but given his career 3FG shooting %, I would simply tell him to stop taking threes. He's 26.5% for his career. I you toss out last year as an anomaly, he drops to 23.2%. He's much more effective using his strength and strong lower body to post up guards and /or score in the lane off penetration

As far as squaring up, he is completely still and square and the FT line, yet is 59.6% from the line for his career. He has been consistently bad all four years.

Based on watching the painful shots for four years and having the stats align with the eye test, I think Tad is just not a good shooter and never will be. He's a scorer, but not a shooter

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He does have a propensity to hit big shots though, particularly before the half.

I don’t think you can tell him not to shoot triples because when he gets hot he is really really good. He needs (or at this point, needed) to be taught what a good attempt was within the confines of the offense

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not a shot doctor, but given his career 3FG shooting %, I would simply tell him to stop taking threes. He's 26.5% for his career. I you toss out last year as an anomaly, he drops to 23.2%. He's much more effective using his strength and strong lower body to post up guards and /or score in the lane off penetration

As far as squaring up, he is completely still and square and the FT line, yet is 59.6% from the line for his career. He has been consistently bad all four years.

Based on watching the painful shots for four years and having the stats align with the eye test, I think Tad is just not a good shooter and never will be. He's a scorer, but not a shooter
Im a shot doctor haha but I have to watch for it next time, but im pretty sure hes not squared up at foul line...maybe squared up to the sideline..but not the bucket

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I know it seems like he gets hot (like starting 3-3 against Va Poly) but he makes less than one 3 a game for his career (and thats consistent across four years). So either his gets hot once or twice a year and goes oh-for -the-other-30 games, or he really never gets hot and makes a couple of threes on 8 - 10 attempts per game. For his career, he takes a 3FG about every 7 mins of playing time. So a around 4 3FGA in a game where he logs 30 mins. He makes one every 27 minutes of PT.

Across 25 games this year, he's made 0 or 1 3FGA in 22 of 25 games. He made 2 against BC (2-3) and 3 against FL A&M (3-3) and Va Poly (3-9). I'd gladly have him pass up those shots in exchange for not having to watch him chuck 9- 51 the rest of the season

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I know it seems like he gets hot (like starting 3-3 against Va Poly) but he makes less than one 3 a game for his career (and thats consistent across four years). So either his gets hot once or twice a year and goes oh-for -the-other-30 games, or he really never gets hot and makes a couple of threes on 8 - 10 attempts per game. For his career, he takes a 3FG about every 7 mins of playing time. So a around 4 3FGA in a game where he logs 30 mins. He makes one every 27 minutes of PT.

Across 25 games this year, he's made 0 or 1 3FGA in 22 of 25 games. He made 2 against BC (2-3) and 3 against FL A&M (3-3) and Va Poly (3-9). I'd gladly have him pass up those shots in exchange for not having to watch him chuck 9- 51 the rest of the season
Yeah he doesnt rlly ever get hot. Most of them dont even come close. It blows my mind. I remember an exhibition game before his freshman year I think he hit like 4 in a row before halftime. And the end of his freshman year he was putting up alot of points. Had high hopes for him but he was never able to develop his jumpshot. Shooting 50% from ft line didnt help either... The beginning of the VT game just made me think what could of been if he had any jumper at all

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well last year he hit 2 or more 12 times and made 40 on the season compared to 17 this year.

He also had 11 games with 17 or more and 6 with 20 or more so, yeah he gets hot sometimes.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Well last year he hit 2 or more 12 times and made 40 on the season compared to 17 this year.

He also had 11 games with 17 or more and 6 with 20 or more so, yeah he gets hot sometimes.
Making 2 in a game isnt getting hot. But just point totals is different he can def score. Hes a big man in a little mans body. I thought last year he was our best post scorer...feels like we havent posted him up near as much this year

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Making 2 in a game isnt getting hot. But just point totals is different he can def score. Hes a big man in a little mans body. I thought last year he was our best post scorer...feels like we havent posted him up near as much this year
IIRC, he almost singlehandedly won us the game at VCU last year. Not sure how many 3s there were, but I remember a key one or two. Unfortunately, that was an anomaly.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I would agree with the post comment.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

That's a product of having Gueye instead of Q. Q wasn't a phenomenal shooter but teams had to respect his shot. Between that and Ben being as good as he was from the mid range, that opened up post opportunities for Tad. With Gueye being down low, those opportunities for Tad aren't as common.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
That's a product of having Gueye instead of Q. Q wasn't a phenomenal shooter but teams had to respect his shot. Between that and Ben being as good as he was from the mid range, that opened up post opportunities for Tad. With Gueye being down low, those opportunities for Tad aren't as common.
Unfortunate, taking away his strength. Always think the best coachs plays to all their players strengths instead of just plugging them in. Sounds obvious but I see it all the time.
Thats one thing I dont like about alot of these motion offenses and such...everyone has the ball a good bit which is fine if you dont have a best or couple best players. I watch alot of NBA and thats something the good teams have changed alot last 5ish + years. Do you want everyone to touch the ball or do you want the best player on the floor to have the ball and start everything off majority of time and make plays for others, get the defense moving, and it makes everything simpler for everyone else....i wish instead of our little offense we run, which worked pretty well last year(tons of back door layups, which it seems we havent rlly gotten any of them this year) we would let JO start with the ball up top and run pick n rolls/pick n pops all day with either Lammers or Tad (tad could run them too) to initiate the offense and everyone play off that. Alot of times you hear the best shot is the open shot...i dont rlly agree with that(unless obvious situations you want to hit the open man but the open man has to know what hes good at. Alot of times the open man is open for a reason...hes not a threat. Would you rather have open draymond or Iggy taking shot, or somewhat contested Steph or Klay? Basically what im trying to say is I see way to many possessions where AD ends up with the ball outside 3pt line and dribbles around trying to hand off ball to someone until end of shot clock..i personally 100x out of 100 rather have JO with the ball trying to create than AD or someone dribbling doing nothing, its what the defense wants and its basically a turnover. Srry for long rant