GEORGIA TECH BASKETBALL HOSTS VIRGINIA TECH 2/17/2018

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize we are only playing for pride (not much there, granted), but Okogie at PG isn't working and is diluting his scoring. Alston may not be a great choice, but he is a much better ball handler. He showed earlier in the season that he can run the point. It really doesn't matter, so at least free up your best scorer. Okogie can still put in a few PG minutes, but start with Alston.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I realize we are only playing for pride (not much there, granted), but Okogie at PG isn't working and is diluting his scoring. Alston may not be a great choice, but he is a much better ball handler. He showed earlier in the season that he can run the point. It really doesn't matter, so at least free up your best scorer. Okogie can still put in a few PG minutes, but start with Alston.

No no no no no. Earlier in the season against terrible teams he was maybe passable In the very limited time he tried against ACC teams he could barely sustain a dribble against them. No reason to put the ball in his hands more because it's not like having Okogie off ball is going to get him better looks. Alston won't be able to create for anyone, including himself.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Watch this game again and focus when Alston has the ball. Then re-post.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Watch this game again and focus when Alston has the ball. Then re-post.

I have watched about every game this season. I'm not suggesting Alston like we have any other choices. He had 4 assists today...Okogie had 1. That's not enough justification, but you could see Josh's frustration today. It's not like this is going to make or break our post season chances. The season is done. It would be nice to just be able to compete at this point.

By the way, I was glad to see Ogbonda get some playing time today.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We can't compete with Alston at PG. Our only chance was JO, similar to MGH 2 yrs ago. He doesn't have any help. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy seeing Ogbonda today, but I do see glimmers of hope with Cole and Wright.

GT_EE78

Banned
We can't compete with Alston at PG. Our only chance was JO, similar to MGH 2 yrs ago. He doesn't have any help. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy seeing Ogbonda today, but I do see glimmers of hope with Cole and Wright.
you may be right but ohbonghit has two years remaining so i'm reluctant to rule him out as becoming a contributor, i'm doubtful as well that we'll see him as a starter but who knows?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Alston was a one year stop gap that just happened to have 2 years of eligibility. Assuming Jose comes back healthy, Alston gets way behind Jose, JO, DeVoe and Phillips. That's 5 min or less on a team with a coach who likes to play a short bench.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Alston was a one year stop gap that just happened to have 2 years of eligibility. Assuming Jose comes back healthy, Alston gets way behind Jose, JO, DeVoe and Phillips. That's 5 min or less on a team with a coach who likes to play a short bench.

And CGB

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know if he LIKEs to play a short bench, or if it's just a short bench this year. I'm sure he's dying to have another starting or near-starting quality PG right now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
He has on several occasions said he likes a short bench. If he had 9 legit options that may change. We haven’t had that problem yet :(

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if Haywood had not gotten hurt then Alston would have avg less than 10 mpg this season. The perimeter rotation would have been Jose, Curtis, Josh and Tad with some deep min from Alston.
His last 6 games before he got hurt Curtis avg almost 31 mpg. The only game after his injury where he avg in that range was against UVA and Alston got 14 min in that game.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Shooting has held Tadric back his whole career. He can get his shot whenever he wants he just cant make it. If he would of ever learned how to shoot he would of been 20+ppg easy. Crazy we have know "shooting coach". I see so many things in Tadrics shot that i would have him work on. And wild thing is his form isnt that bad. But I dont remember anyone improving their J while here the last 10+ years smh. Maybe a few small incrimental exceptions

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Shooting has held Tadric back his whole career. He can get his shot whenever he wants he just cant make it. If he would of ever learned how to shoot he would of been 20+ppg easy. Crazy we have know "shooting coach". I see so many things in Tadrics shot that i would have him work on. And wild thing is his form isnt that bad. But I dont remember anyone improving their J while here the last 10+ years smh. Maybe a few small incrimental exceptions
I think TJ's lack of basketball IQ is a bigger issue than his shooting. The guy is very Jekyll/Hyde, and not just game to game, but even possession to possession in the game. He's never seen a 1 on 3 fast break that he didn't like. For every one good thing he does, he'll do something else that'll make you want to throw your remote thru the tv.