Georgia State Post Game thread

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If a DC ever figures how to deal with the short passing game, he'll be a legend.
You press. But there is a vulnerability for the big play.

So much of defense these days is about risk management. Defenses are risk averse on the long field. So they give up the short stuff and depend on sure tackling and hope the offense makes a mistake. Do that until the offense hits the red zone and then the risk of chunk plays is no longer in play, and the field is naturally compressed with defenders.

GaSt took what the GT defense gave them. We played "modern" defense last night.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like many mentioned we looked tired, but we were able to fight through it.
- King was smart (minus pick) and accurate.
- We were able to connect on some deeper shots and hopefully this keeps defenses from stacking the box.
- Oline was more sloppy but still allowed us ran the ball well and keep King clean.
- Defense took some punches today, but showed up when needed.
- Goal line defense was really good. This is a drastic improvement.
- Secondary seems to be the strength on defense. I am happy with the interior line play, but at some point we have got to get to the QB.
- Crowd seemed engaged on TV and looked like a good turn out.
- Again overall we played well enough to beat the spread. Our team looks a little gassed. Hopefully they get a little rest this week. The good news with a game like this is noticing there were enough mistakes to see you aren’t invincible. Fix the mistakes and let’s put a beating on Syracuse.
I’m not upset with the pic, 50/50 ball, the receiver has to out battle the db or swat it away.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good Lord GT Fans whine about refs. We held on a lot of plays. They were properly called. That's on GT not the refs! There were plenty of other times our WRs could have been called for holding. The WRs block well down field and they hold nearly every time.
Which is it? Do they block well or do they hold nearly every time?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree but I think a lot of us got tired of Luginbill’s voice by the 3rd quarter. Even Wes had to get back to the subject at hand a few times.
I don’t think Luginbill likes Tech, but that’s OK. I don’t like him! I took the opportunity to explain to my son how Bill Lewis brought in Luginbill over Donnie Davis and it ruined us for 4 years.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
To add my take to what others have said:

Our defense bent but didn’t break. The pair of Goal Line Stands limiting GSU to only 3 points were outstanding, particularly after letting GSU drive down the field.​
GSU’s QB was legit. A key to successful passes to the flat is getting the ball out quickly and accurately, and he was very good at that. He also extended several drives with his feet. We know first-hand what a difference that can make. His stats would look considerably better if his receivers could catch better.​
I’ll bypass the debate about penalties and the unevenness of the refs. Either way, we had 8/72 yds, and some had huge impacts via negating great plays – including an interception. We were able to overcome most of them anyway.​
I had to double-check King’s passing stats because they seemed unreal. 24/29 (83%!) for 275 yds. His lone INT was a bad decision though. Overall, another outstanding game from our two Haynes.​
In case anyone doesn’t already know, Rutherford and Singleton are fast.​
A minor quibble – some of our guys had missed tackles that allowed GSU to extend drives. Gotta keep working on that.​
Good to see us spread the ball around effectively. Boyd had a good game. Basically a tight end with near-wide receiver speed.​

Looking forward to the ‘Cuse game. Their QB is very good but does not appear to be mobile. We should be able to run on them.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
This was so strange...i saw group after group of Students turned away ftom the empty sections of the South stands ... crazy to beg Students to come and then run them off
That is TERRIBLE to hear. That section looked like crap on TV so why not allow students to sit there? AFAIC let every student that wants to go to the game go when there are seats available. Why are they “selling out”? Fill every seat you can. No one should be sitting outside if the game isn’t sold out. Find somewhere to put them.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the broadcast made this exact point last night. Basically said, as you're alluding to, that our offense is a variation of the option.

I loved CPJ and I love what we're doing now. But I dont understand why folks don't see what we're currently doing as gimmicky like they did with CPJ's stuff.
When you run it from the shotgun, it’s innovative! This looks more like Urban Meyer’s offense than anything else, IMO.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone that was at the game see Franklin after he came out of the tent following his injury? He is our QB on the offensive line and a huge blow to what Buster wants to do next week if he can't go. It didn't look good when he went down on tv but hoping it was just temporary thing to his elbow

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the broadcast made this exact point last night. Basically said, as you're alluding to, that our offense is a variation of the option.

I loved CPJ and I love what we're doing now. But I dont understand why folks don't see what we're currently doing as gimmicky like they did with CPJ's stuff.
Because we do it from the gun and not under center. So much cooler that way.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to give props to Wes Durham, he‘s always great but last night his energy made him sound like how he was back in his radio years at some points. He was terrific.
The Avery Boyd touchdown call was outstanding. Something to the effect of, “Avery Boyd. 6’3”…240lbs…..formerly a WR, but now he’s just a problem!!!”.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
On King's pick, he threw into tight one on one coverage. Under the circumstances, that may have been a bad read.

In the NFL, QBs will throw the ball to their #1 receiver in one on one situations even if there is tight coverage. Even in college, at higher levels of play, coverage gets tighter,

That was a 50-50 ball and Singleton has to do a better job of competing for that football, if not to catch it, at least to knock it down.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Jet lag excuses. Getting old, especially for a bunch of sub 25-year-olds. 5-hour time difference an hour a day tops to get adjusted by now should be a 100% non-factor. I question if even if it would have been a factor on Wednesday or Thursday of last week. (Yes, I have done multiple over the pond trips.)
As I’ve said before, everyone reacts differently. How to get your clock and bio rhythms back in sync if you are an elite athlete can take time. Glad you adjust well but you can’t universalize from your experience.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
On King's pick, he threw into tight one on one coverage. Under the circumstances, that may have been a bad read.

In the NFL, QBs will throw the ball to their #1 receiver in one on one situations even if there is tight coverage. Even in college, at higher levels of play, coverage gets tighter,

That was a 50-50 ball and Singleton has to do a better job of competing for that football, if not to catch it, at least to knock it down.

looks like a bad route too me

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think our offense was hindered by a tired bunch of kids, absurd officiating, and vanilla play calling most of the game. We seemed to open it up a bit around half time to put the game away.
Defensively, we could not get them off the field, only 4 seconds difference in TOP, but when it counted most, we buckled up and had some key stops that I also attribute that kind of play to our kids needing some well earned rest after Dublin.
Nice team win that could easily have been a nasty loss. We will learn much more where this team is at next Saturday.
I was a little disappointed that Pyron and Carrie did not get more meaningful minutes. I felt like they should have played the last 8-10 minutes. We seem like we will definitely need Carrie against Syracuse and with King exposing him by running the ball so well, as he needs to continue to do in this offense, Pyron needs all the prep time possible to be a well prepared backup ready to play if and when needed.