Georgia Postgame

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Read my previous post. Context is everything.

I agree that context matters. And we did have closer games that year. However we were coming off of an 11-win season and had most of our OL returning (lost shaq). Our coach then had several classes of “his guys.” CGC did not create this lack of depth. He certainly hasn’t had 6 seasons to bring in his own dudes.

Further, in 2015 it was mainly our skill players, not the core OL, that were so inexperienced and young. We had a vet QB and OL.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The ineptness of the Jumbotron THWG message from CTC and CNF where the audio and video aren't synced is a complete embarrassment and ought to be ditched.
All about distance ... If they'd just have the sound start about 0.2 seconds sooner, it'd look much better.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
So you’re on record for processing players. Good. Now we’ll have to release like 60% of the guys we’ve got and hit up free agency big time this offseason. We can go pick players that are good, but not quite good enough to start Bama and pay them just enough to come play for us...

Yup. College football is just like the MLB
How you reached that conclusion is a mystery to me. My point is that like the Rays perfected the shift and prioritized defense, it might make sense for us to use similar tactics. A good example is Iowa State. They’ve come up with a defensive scheme to play to the strengths of the kids they can get while also limiting the effectiveness of the offenses they face in the Big XII. I mean, sheesh. If you wanna argue in bad faith, I guess that’s your business.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree that context matters. And we did have closer games that year. However we were coming off of an 11-win season and had most of our OL returning (lost shaq). Our coach then had several classes of “his guys.” CGC did not create this lack of depth. He certainly hasn’t had 6 seasons to bring in his own dudes.

Further, in 2015 it was mainly our skill players, not the core OL, that were so inexperienced and young. We had a vet QB and OL.

Not disagreeing with a thing you say, but losing a bunch of heartbreakers is easier to handle than not even being competitive at all, which is the answer to the question you posed. No one gives CPJ a free pass for 2015. I'm inclined to give CGC one for this year, but I can also understand why so many are so upset.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Not disagreeing with a thing you say, but losing a bunch of heartbreakers is easier to handle than not even being competitive at all, which is the answer to the question you posed. No one gives CPJ a free pass for 2015. I'm inclined to give CGC one for this year, but I can also understand why so many are so upset.

Fair points. And if we see more of the same next season I’ll be just as upset. On to 2020.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
You use an MLB analogy and I’m the one arguing in bad faith. That’s ironic.

Just come out and say it, you’re an option/Paul fan and your feelings are hurt we didn’t hire another option coach. If you’d just be honest, it would make your arguments easier to read past.

But for arguments sake, let’s try this. You used the Rays (who were the worst team in baseball in 2018 because they traded away all of their best players) as well as the A’s. I’m no mind reader, but when the A’s are used, it’s 99% of the time because of moneyball. Money ball works by taking guys (IN FREE AGENCY) that other teams undervalue. Hence my Bama reference. They also offer a lot of one year deals and have indentured servants in their MiLB system Thai can call up whenever they want. A lot of times they will ride a great young player until they approach free agency and the trade them for more top prospects only to repeat that cycle. Young players also have these rhingd called options which means they can be pulled up and down as many times as a team wants throughout a year and it only counts as one option. Each player has 3 so a team can do essentially whatever they want with their roster.

Comparing that to a NCAA football roster limited to 85 scholly players who we are expected to honor all 4, maybe 5 years of is one of the most ridiculous takes I’ve seen on this forum. So kudos to you.
I am ambivalent about the system we run. I want whatever helps us win. My comment about the Rays is that they don’t sign big free agents. They sign their younger players to long contracts before arbitration. They do things differently. The lesson is that we should be willing to be different. That’s it. That’s the point. That’s the principle.

Say this about Paul, he wasn’t scared of being unique. He wasn’t infallible, but he was pretty good. I have no hurt feelings, though if it makes you feel better to make that kind of meaningless accusation, more power to you.

And while we’re on the topic, the Rays have the same number of roster spots as the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers. They have the same number of farm teams. None of that matters. Bama only has 85 scholarships, and they only have 22 starting positions. Why we’d try to play the same game as them is beyond me, but whatever.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I am ambivalent about the system we run. I want whatever helps us win. My comment about the Rays is that they don’t sign big free agents. They sign their younger players to long contracts before arbitration. They do things differently. The lesson is that we should be willing to be different. That’s it. That’s the point. That’s the principle.

Say this about Paul, he wasn’t scared of being unique. He wasn’t infallible, but he was pretty good. I have no hurt feelings, though if it makes you feel better to make that kind of meaningless accusation, more power to you.

And while we’re on the topic, the Rays have the same number of roster spots as the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers. They have the same number of farm teams. None of that matters. Bama only has 85 scholarships, and they only have 22 starting positions. Why we’d try to play the same game as them is beyond me, but whatever.

The Rays also had a .487 winning percentage in the 5 years leading up to this year. Not sure that’s the example you want to use. Unless you’re saying we should give Collins 5 years before we field a contender.

I agree Paul wasn’t afraid of being unique. I honestly think that was part of his undoing. He’s a great option coach. I personally think if he could’ve made the offense more attractive, while running similar concepts, he’d still be here. He was married to his system and it ultimately caught up to him.

That being said, 2014 was one of my favorite seasons as a fan. When Paul had an experienced Oline, a WR that could stretch a defense and commanded help along with a qb that could get it to said WR, he was very dangerous. While I think having a good bback was nice, the 3 I listed are what I feel truly made his O go regardless of who we were playing.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The Rays also had a .487 winning percentage in the 5 years leading up to this year. Not sure that’s the example you want to use. Unless you’re saying we should give Collins 5 years before we field a contender.

I agree Paul wasn’t afraid of being unique. I honestly think that was part of his undoing. He’s a great option coach. I personally think if he could’ve made the offense more attractive, while running similar concepts, he’d still be here. He was married to his system and it ultimately caught up to him.

That being said, 2014 was one of my favorite seasons as a fan. When Paul had an experienced Oline, a WR that could stretch a defense and commanded help along with a qb that could get it to said WR, he was very dangerous. While I think having a good bback was nice, the 3 I listed are what I feel truly made his O go regardless of who we were playing.
It’s exactly the example I want to use. I think Braine was right. I think it’s almost hopeless to think we will win ten games a season. If Collins wins 11 games twice and nine games twice in a decade, I’ll be elated.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
The most disappointing thing to me today would be if Demetrius Knight is lost to a serious injury. He is the type of athlete we need at LB, and he gained valuable experience this year. To miss the offseason would reset his clock.
Completely agree, hoping for the best!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
No. Going .500 in one score games is by definition average.

So you don’t think it was lucky that Watson got hurt in the Clemson game and their backup threw us 3 ints (2 of which went for Tds)? Or the Ugag game when all they had to do was kick it deep, instead they squibbed it (which was followed by the best 2 play sequence of that year!)? Or the GSU game where we get a fluky fumble while they’re driving in our territory to seal the game or we get lucky on a pitch that’s ruled a forward pass that could’ve easily gone the other way? Either of those don’t happen and we lose that game and season looks a lot different.

I will say it was “bad luck” that we scored so fast on the Smelter reverse in the UNC game because we all knew our defense wouldn’t hold. I’ll concede that could’ve been another win and hurt badly at the time.

Now I’m not complaining because it made for an awesome season. Also being a GT fan, I’m not used to getting lucky bounces. But to act like there wasn’t any luck in those games that helped us to achieve what we did is ignoring the truth.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
So you don’t think it was lucky that Watson got hurt in the Clemson game and their backup threw us 3 ints (2 of which went for Tds)? Or the Ugag game when all they had to do was kick it deep, instead they squibbed it (which was followed by the best 2 play sequence of that year!)? Or the GSU game where we get a fluky fumble while they’re driving in our territory to seal the game or we get lucky on a pitch that’s ruled a forward pass that could’ve easily gone the other way? Either of those don’t happen and we lose that game and season looks a lot different.

I will say it was “bad luck” that we scored so fast on the Smelter reverse in the UNC game because we all knew our defense wouldn’t hold. I’ll concede that could’ve been another win and hurt badly at the time.

Now I’m not complaining because it made for an awesome season. Also being a GT fan, I’m not used to getting lucky bounces. But to act like there wasn’t any luck in those games that helped us to achieve what we did is ignoring the truth.
Yeah, there was luck in all of those. The most forgotten play of that season was fourth and 15 at VT. We converted (not bad for a team that didn’t care about passing). There’s luck all over the place. But generally, if you’re beating teams by more than about ten points, it’s not lucky. It’s because you’re better. Over a large enough sample, that usually will revert back to the mean. Hell, we got three turnovers against uga inside our ten yard line, two of which were in the goal line. We got lucky. We also got unlucky against FSU and Carolina and Duke.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s exactly the example I want to use. I think Braine was right. I think it’s almost hopeless to think we will win ten games a season. If Collins wins 11 games twice and nine games twice in a decade, I’ll be elated.

You’re tough to follow. So you’re okay being below .500 for 5 years if we have one above average year? That’s the Rays example.

If you took Clemson away from being our permanent crossover and we rotated, I think it’s reasonable to average 9 wins or more. I don’t think that will happen so that being said, I think it’s reasonable to average 8 wins or more with occasional great seasons. I think we can be consistently better than anyone else in the Coastal.

If we can get some big bodies in here that can compete on the LOS all it takes is getting an elite QB to come here for a magical season. Got to start on the LOS first though.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

Probably worth pointing out that we got lucky with injuries that season. Like our entire offense stayed intact the whole season until Smelter’s knee exploded (Snoddy before him, which was too bad because he seemed to be finally coming into his own). I’d say that reverted to the mean the following season.