Georgia Postgame

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
First: Regardless of the final score, the game was more bearable to watch than last season’s COFH. Last year the game was over by the end of the 1st Quarter. Our offense was equally as pitiful last year and our D was like warm butter. We are improving. That said, we are still miles away from competing for 4 Qs against the mutts. We need an established OL and QB before that happens.

Second: I’ve watched UGA’s defense many times this year. Their run D is incredible. They gave up like 10 yards to A&M and 21 yards to Florida—a top 10 team. We had 100 today. Yes, I know we had like 20 pass yards. The point is, that is an elite bunch we faced today. No excuse not to move the ball a little better, but we all know our OL situation (which played admirably down the stretch and today).

Lastly: many of us forgave our prior coach for a 3-win season (1 miracle ACC win) with our star QB because of the lack of depth and injury. CGC made some mistakes, and the Citadel game was the darkest time of the year, but my goodness he had all the chips stacked against him this year. Some of us were completely unrealistic with expectations going into this season.

at the end of the day, I am PROUD to be a yellow jacket fan and love our team. I am optimistic going forward and am extremely proud of the 2019 team. They never quit, and I wish them all the best going forward.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Elaborate.

Professional organizations with minor league scouting professionals that have years to buy and sell 100's of players in order to develop them in the hope of eventually helping the major league club win championships. GT has, at best, 5 years to find guys to fill a limited number of positions, that also have to meet academic requirements not only to be eligible to be selected to fill those limited positions, but also maintain academic eligibility to remain one of those limited few.

Comparing a professional sports organization, especially baseball, to college football is at best, a stretch.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Professional organizations with minor league scouting professionals that have years to buy and sell 100's of players in order to develop them in the hope of eventually helping the major league club win championships. GT has, at best, 5 years to find guys to fill a limited number of positions, that also have to meet academic requirements not only to be eligible to be selected to fill those limited positions, but also maintain academic eligibility to remain one of those limited few.

Comparing a professional sports organization, especially baseball, to college football is at best, a stretch.

Hey guess what they can also trade for draft picks , pick up players from free agency etc...we can't just cut brenton king and sign someone the next day to kick

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Lastly: many of us forgave our prior coach for a 3-win season (1 miracle ACC win) with our star QB because of the lack of depth and injury. CGC made some mistakes, and the Citadel game was the darkest time of the year, but my goodness he had all the chips stacked against him this year. Some of us were completely unrealistic with expectations going into this season.

Read my previous post. Context is everything.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It’s not unreasonable to be skeptical. Most have no problem with being skeptical. I’m very skeptical of our O coordinator, but also am rational enough to know it’s impossible to tell what his potential is with what he had to work with.

I can’t speak for everyone, but what frustrates me with the “skeptics” is that everything points to the offense for them and it seems it doesn’t matter if we have to use cheerleaders to block on our oline, the coaches suck because we didn’t transition to another option coach. Any non-option homer can see this was not going to be a good year prior to the season starting (see preseason over-under). Once Olineman started dropping it was only going to get worse.

The other thing that is annoying is that the same people that say we meed to run more and go under center complain about play calling when we do said things.

Honestly, they won’t be happy unless we fire this coach and hire another option coach. Which proves the point that they are more fans of Paul than GT.
I get that. I think that’s a fair criticism of those individuals. It is not a defense of the current coaches though. I don’t give a s—- if we use cheerleaders, either, as long as they put their opponent on their ***. I think the issue here - and I’m afraid it’s not going away - is that we had good seasons with the option, and we didn’t have many doing conventional stuff. I admit I tend to have that inclination myself, and what’s frustrating is we get 12 glorious Saturdays a year (12!) and it seems like they got lit on fire this year. If Collins can turn us into a perennial ten game winner, no one will say **** about this season. But if, like me, you doubt that, it becomes more reasonable to be pretty pissed about this season.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Before I answer your question, I am on record as saying we need to give CGC several years to get his players in the system.

Now to answer, it's because words matter. If you are always painting everything as extreme, eventually, it gets old. Sooner or later, people expect results, and when you have a history of painting everything as overly grandiose, the trust factor goes down. I mean, Billy Mays got famous for this, but everyone knew the stuff he was selling was cheap junk packaged with a pretty bow.

Now, this is not to lump CGC in this boat yet, but the over the top persona and constant use of extremes reminds a lot of people more of an advertising executive and not a college football coach.

I appreciate this rationale and agree with it. I personally don’t like how he’s always on brand and prefer someone in the middle of his and PJ’s personality.

That being said, I genuinely believe everything he says is directed at 14-18 year old athletes. Everything needs to be “tweetable” if that’s a word. Whatever he’s doing is working. Perception is reality. I saw a 2021 recruit’s tweet someone posted on this forum say essentially verbatim what Collins says about our fans. STTE of “Their fans/atmosphere are crazy/electric.”

Again, not my cup of tea so to say. I much prefer Thacker’s demeanor and delivory, but I think the kids love it and feed off it. Which is why I asked why GT fans wouldn’t like it.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

It’s not, though. It’s about an approach. Moreover, you’re making the point for me. If we are that limited, then why on earth would we try to compete with teams that have obvious advantages on their own turf. It makes no sense.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
I accept that attendance has deteriorated over time. I didn’t intend to say that it’s exclusively on Stansbury. But he has the power to make the game day experience less sh—ty, and to say he has failed is an understatement. It’s expensive, and it’s a pain in the ***. As an example, I brought my son today. He’s three. Kid wanted a pretzel. I went to get him one with 4:30 left in the second quarter. We waited forty minutes in line, and when we finally got there, they were out. They made us throw a cereal bar out before they’d let us in. If they actually wanted to make it harder for families to come (and in turn create their next generation of customers) I'd like to know what they’d do differently. He has the ability to fix crap like that. I genuinely don’t know what he does all day.

If it's any consolation, the concession I waited at in the upper north for about that long ran out of water, of all things.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Augusta, but I will still bounce it back. Tell me a bigger transition Lee.

I honestly don’t know if there is one or not. Don’t really care either. I don’t get why some of our “fans” are trying to fight this when the whole country is saying essentially the same thing.

It only helps our program for people to believe that. I’m sorry it might hurt some feelings and Paul may not like it, but I can promise you, he will be okay. He’s a big boy and doesn’t need people on here to defend him.

Again whether it is or isn’t is irrelevant. Is it possible? Yes. Do people believe it? Yes. More importantly, do recruits believe it? Heck yes! Go read through some of their threads. Heck, a 4star recruit committed to Bama literally said that Collins was taking GT to great places or STTE. Why would we not want that message spreading around?

It’s not, though. It’s about an approach. Moreover, you’re making the point for me. If we are that limited, then why on earth would we try to compete with teams that have obvious advantages on their own turf. It makes no sense.
I really wish you wouldn't use that term. I am a boomer, and you and I agree on far more than we disagree on. LOL

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Same story all year long regarding differences in first and second halves. Out lack of depth and the physical disparity between our guys and the opposition have allowed us to remain "competitive" in the first half of most games.

Regarding the "red in the stands", you are correct. It was an abject failure of "self proclaimed" fans to make tickets available to gaggers. For the most part, they were tolerable in my area of the upper north.
We had a couple of UGA fans that have been GT season ticket holders at GT for 6 years in section 216. They normally come to the games in neutral or Georgia Tech colors. I tell them thank you for supporting Georgia Tech Athletics.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We had a couple of UGA fans that have been GT season ticket holders at GT for 6 years in section 216. They normally come to the games in neutral or Georgia Tech colors. I tell them thank you for supporting Georgia Tech Athletics.

Wtf?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not unreasonable to be skeptical. Most have no problem with being skeptical. I’m very skeptical of our O coordinator, but also am rational enough to know it’s impossible to tell what his potential is with what he had to work with.

I don't think it's impossible to have any sort of idea what he's capable of looking back over this year. It would take burying your head in the sand to think that way.

One thing we do know...he can't evaluate a group of players and coach them to the point that they can to get first downs with any consistency. Scoring, controlling the clock...set that aside. We are talking first downs. Our players are not talentless scrubs. They were let down this year.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. But that doesn’t keep the Rays or A’s from competing. They just have to do it differently. We may want to consider doing likewise.

So you’re on record for processing players. Good. Now we’ll have to release like 60% of the guys we’ve got and hit up free agency big time this offseason. We can go pick players that are good, but not quite good enough to start Bama and pay them just enough to come play for us...

Yup. College football is just like the MLB