Georgia Postgame

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I take on this year is that our staff kept our team together when we were out manned at nearly all positions due to lack of recruiting the last decade. Our first half performance indicates to me that we will be much improved in the future with better OL and QB play when the new recruits better fitted to our scheme arrive. The success or failure of our coaches will be decided in the next 3 years. It is ridiculous to diss on this staff for this year's record.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you the others but we completely dominated that uga game. The 14 point swing on the most bull**** fumble call I've ever seen in my life was the only reason we needed any luck at all at the end. Don't give them that kind of credit. I'm still pissed at that horse **** and we ended up winning.

I had forgotten all about that when I posted. That was the most bs call ever. I ignorantly almost broke my hand punching a wooden post at the cabin we were staying in after that play. Forward progress was stopped for a good 3 seconds and the pile was moving backwards. Complete BS.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I was very skeptical of the OC early in the year. I couldn't see any semblance of an offensive identity. Since JG has been officially the starter, things have gotten better on that front. There are still some things that concern me about the offense(systematically, there are things player wise that concern me too) It takes too long to get the formation called in and then it takes too long to get the plays called in. Sometimes, the play clock has almost expired before the team even knows what play they are going to run. When the O takes the field(change of posession, beginning of half, etc), they line up and then check the side line for possible change of formation, then for the play. It doesn't look any different than how they line up for a 2nd and 7. It just doesn't appear efficient to me. Calling plays in from the sideline, they shouldn't have to wait until 4 seconds on the play clock before being ready to execute. After a timeout, or change of possession, they should have a formation and play ready to execute rapidly if it fits the defensive formation. I'm not saying that those things would have won the mutt game. However if the things the coaches can control was being executed flawlessly, I would be more supportive of the idea that the majority of issues are with players working in the new system. When there are obvious flaws with the coaching/system, it makes it difficult to measure how much of the issue is coaching and how much is players. I can see that we have issues with the size and experience of the OL, but I can also see that the system before the play isn't as smooth as top 25 teams.

Agreed 100%. The delay of game on the first play against VT was the highlight of what you’re saying. I think there were a lot of coaching issues this year and most of them were on that side of the ball. I’m in the camp that if Coach P doesn’t show marked improvement next year he needs to go. I think cutting him after one season is a but trigger happy though I wouldn’t miss him if Collins did.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This comment is asinine. Do people actually believe this? Questioning one’s fanhood because they are critical is the lowest form of defense imaginable and it’s constantly happening here. You can be a fan of something and still be critical. You should be critical after a 52-7 loss and a 3-9 season.

It’s sad, but yes I do. I think there are about 2-4 people on here that are actively rooting against Collins and crew because their guy is gone and we didn’t hire someone from his coaching tree. If you read their post history, you would most likely come up with the same conclusion.

I think most are just frustrated with the team’s performance and venting because we all hate the freaking dwags and losing to them that bad at home sucks regardless of the fact that was the only outcome of yesterday’s game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Agreed 100%. The delay of game on the first play against VT was the highlight of what you’re saying. I think there were a lot of coaching issues this year and most of them were on that side of the ball. I’m in the camp that if Coach P doesn’t show marked improvement next year he needs to go. I think cutting him after one season is a but trigger happy though I wouldn’t miss him if Collins did.
I can’t grasp why the pace is so slow. Do the players just not understand the calls? The theory is we go out, read the D and then change the formation or play right? So then what do we do just prior to the snap when the D changes their look?

For this thing to work as expected it has to be fast...really fast, like Chip Kelly Oregon fast. I’m ok with that model, but it’s got to get to that point or it’s going to fail miserably.

Maybe it’s growing pains, maybe it’s the OC or QB...I’m not sure. Does seem though that we have smart enough guys that by game 12 we should have been able to grasp the signals and at least get lined up quickly. Another year of that and we need to be looking elsewhere on offense.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
If we want to compete with the factories consistently we have to change the academic requirements. We've proved that for 60 years! We can continue to blame coaches but we've never been consistently competitive. We've had plenty of coaches some better than others but never been consistently competitive with the factories and we won't be unless we change academically.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s sad, but yes I do. I think there are about 2-4 people on here that are actively rooting against Collins and crew because their guy is gone and we didn’t hire someone from his coaching tree. If you read their post history, you would most likely come up with the same conclusion.

I think most are just frustrated with the team’s performance and venting because we all hate the freaking dwags and losing to them that bad at home sucks regardless of the fact that was the only outcome of yesterday’s game.

I’m not sure it’s Collins per se. Had Tech hired anyone, there would be alternative opinions. Auburn just beat Bama and half of Auburn still wants Gus gone.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can’t grasp why the pace is so slow. Do the players just not understand the calls? The theory is we go out, read the D and then change the formation or play right? So then what do we do just prior to the snap when the D changes their look?

For this thing to work as expected it has to be fast...really fast, like Chip Kelly Oregon fast. I’m ok with that model, but it’s got to get to that point or it’s going to fail miserably.

Maybe it’s growing pains, maybe it’s the OC or QB...I’m not sure. Does seem though that we have smart enough guys that by game 12 we should have been able to grasp the signals and at least get lined up quickly. Another year of that and we need to be looking elsewhere on offense.

I don't think this is necessarily a GT-specific issue as I see many cfb teams do this. I think it will go away with our incoming QB's who'll be more versed in more complete offenses.

Well, that's my hope anyway. It's a maddening thing. Switching the snap count, cadence, etc seems to be a weapon we don't use. Seems clear it allows the defense to get a rhythm and dictate things to us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we want to compete with the factories consistently we have to change the academic requirements. We've proved that for 60 years! We can continue to blame coaches but we've never been consistently competitive. We've had plenty of coaches some better than others but never been consistently competitive with the factories and we won't be unless we change academically.

I agree! We should lower the academic requirements so that anyone who can spell C-A-T can get in. While we’re at it, add a few Intro to Waffle House courses, and maybe Syrup Systems.

Georgia Tech will NEVER lower it’s requirements for 100 students because they play a sport. Vandy DID ... and they still stink.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure it’s Collins per se. Had Tech hired anyone, there would be alternative opinions. Auburn just beat Bama and half of Auburn still wants Gus gone.

If they get rid of Gus, I wouldn't mind having him as an OC. His scheme could do very well in the ACC.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree! We should lower the academic requirements so that anyone who can spell C-A-T can get in. While we’re at it, add a few Intro to Waffle House courses, and maybe Syrup Systems.

Georgia Tech will NEVER lower it’s requirements for 100 students because they play a sport. Vandy DID ... and they still stink.
I agree and we'll keep being dominated by the Georgia Bulldogs and the Clemson Tigers and every other factory! Don't blame the coaches.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

I completely agree on this. After summer practice, fall practice and 11 games , we should have things down better than we have. I agree we get outmanned at many positions,
but we still seem to struggle on decision making more than getting outmanned. To my way of thinking , there are 4 ways to get beat : physically, mentally , coaching( scheme), and luck. At this point in the season, only 2 of those should apply in most cases- the first and the last. We still seem to be lost at times mentally, and with scheme.
I expected us to lose this game by a wide margin, but we damn well better make a MUCH better showing against ND in the opener next year, or the wheels may start coming off ............

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The Hill doesn’t care about competing against factory football schools. It’s not even on their radar.
You got that right. So how can you blame the OC or any coach. If an assistant coach has a choice they take a job at a place where they can be competitive academically.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I take on this year is that our staff kept our team together when we were out manned at nearly all positions due to lack of recruiting the last decade. Our first half performance indicates to me that we will be much improved in the future with better OL and QB play when the new recruits better fitted to our scheme arrive. The success or failure of our coaches will be decided in the next 3 years. It is ridiculous to diss on this staff for this year's record.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Exactly. We’ve never had a recruiter like Collins in the modern era, NEVER! Ross, O’Leary, and Gailey were solid recruiters but they did not live for it. Collins started his career at GT and saw with his own eyes that their are high end players who want a top notch education. Not every stud is a walking moron like George Pickens. Calvin Johnson chose GT. Morgan Burnett chose GT. Collins will bring in players who can compete but recruiting is a long game because it’s all about relationships and Collins spent 2 years a thousand miles away. I find it amazing that he has us in the top 25 for recruiting so quickly. I’m in South Georgia and GT wasn’t even on the radar for players under Johnson down here. A few here and there. Collins has now given these kids a real alternative and it’s showing in recruiting. And 2021 and 2022 are going to be better.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. We’ve never had a recruiter like Collins in the modern era, NEVER! Ross, O’Leary, and Gailey were solid recruiters but they did not live for it. Collins started his career at GT and saw with his own eyes that their are high end players who want a top notch education. Not every stud is a walking moron like George Pickens. Calvin Johnson chose GT. Morgan Burnett chose GT. Collins will bring in players who can compete but recruiting is a long game because it’s all about relationships and Collins spent 2 years a thousand miles away. I find it amazing that he has us in the top 25 for recruiting so quickly. I’m in South Georgia and GT wasn’t even on the radar for players under Johnson down here. A few here and there. Collins has now given these kids a real alternative and it’s showing in recruiting. And 2021 and 2022 are going to be better.
Good post ! We need some good news in the early signing period.