Geoff Collins Press Conference Post Miami

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As far as the improptu questions, I do not know if that is a skill that can be trained or not.
Yes, it can be trained. That is what media people are for. Back in my corporate days, I had to prepare for TV stations to shout questions about strikes, reductions in force, environment, plant closures, plant openings, etc. And you have to do it with a smile on your face and absolute command of facts.

Geoff does not present a good image, imo. He needs to ditch the hat (indoors!) and look and speak like an adult, not a 12 year old. And all he has to do is say, "Football is a game of movement and contact. Our goal is to execute each play as perfectly as possible. We didn't do that. For example ... <mention a play that went bad>. And here's how we will address that in practice. Next question."

Animal02

Banned
Why? CPJ was often brutally honest in his post game assessments. and when he screwed up he took FULL responsibility for it. I recall his comments after the Pitt (") game where he went for it early on 4th down deep in our own territory and failed.
It isn't a realistic expectation out of GC. How often would someone selling you a used car tell you the engine burns oil, the transmission is on its last legs, and most of the quarter panels are Bondo?

Animal02

Banned
Yes, it can be trained. That is what media people are for. Back in my corporate days, I had to prepare for TV stations to shout questions about strikes, reductions in force, environment, plant closures, plant openings, etc. And you have to do it with a smile on your face and absolute command of facts.

Geoff does not present a good image, imo. He needs to ditch the hat (indoors!) and look and speak like an adult, not a 12 year old. And all he has to do is say, "Football is a game of movement and contact. Our goal is to execute each play as perfectly as possible. We didn't do that. For example ... <mention a play that went bad>. And here's how we will address that in practice. Next question."
There was scene in Bull Durham like that, about doing interviews to the press.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As did I. However I had time in advance to prepare and had a general understanding of the types of questions too because I knew why I was speaking to the media. They did not call randomly or walk in unannounced but always in reaction to the events you mentioned. I controlled when and where we et. I could always duck questions too by saying vague things like "we are still gathering information" or "our plans are not finalized" etc. I don't think a coach can use these tactics and he has no way a priori to know how the events of the first half are going to play out. So they really are off the cuff comments.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As did I. However I had time in advance to prepare and had a general understanding of the types of questions too because I knew why I was speaking to the media. They did not call randomly or walk in unannounced but always in reaction to the events you mentioned. I controlled when and where we et. I could always duck questions too by saying vague things like "we are still gathering information" or "our plans are not finalized" etc. I don't think a coach can use these tactics and he has no way a priori to know how the events of the first half are going to play out. So they really are off the cuff comments.
Fair enough. But it is not an uncontrolled environment. Reporters are going to ask him about football, not thermonuclear detonation. This limits the conversation to what went well, what didn't go well, injuries, weird plays, etc. He can make a list and I'll bet, cover 85% of any conference. In fact, all he has to do is get a staffer to review his last 3 years, make a summary of all the questions and create a Pareto. It's not hard to prepare.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fair enough. But it is not an uncontrolled environment. Reporters are going to ask him about football, not thermonuclear detonation. This limits the conversation to what went well, what didn't go well, injuries, weird plays, etc. He can make a list and I'll bet, cover 85% of any conference. In fact, all he has to do is get a staffer to review his last 3 years, make a summary of all the questions and create a Pareto. It's not hard to prepare.
I agree with everything you have posted here. With that being said, I would argue that given all things, that is NOT how I want him spending his time (prepping for PR events) right now. In our jobs, we didn't get to talk to the media unless all other things were being handled properly.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you have posted here. With that being said, I would argue that given all things, that is NOT how I want him spending his time (prepping for PR events) right now. In our jobs, we didn't get to talk to the media unless all other things were being handled properly.
See the word "staffer". That's what Media Relations is for. They should hand him a one-page brief the night before every game and he can read it before hand. After a few iterations, it'll be a snap. I prepared like crazy my first 3 or 4. After that, it was a breeze.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
There was scene in Bull Durham like that, about doing interviews to the press.

Cliches….

1) We gotta play 'em one day at a time.
2) I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ballclub.
3) I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

Or in Collins speaks….

1) We gotta play 'em one day at a time at an elite level with uncontrollable effort in everything we do so the margins continue to decrease and next year all of our games will be one score games which is how we did it when we were so successful at Temple.

2) I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ballclub because no one expected the success we have had after the greatest transition in the history of college football. Just like at Mississippi State when I was there and we were No. 1 in the country got the entire year.

3) I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out for every single person on that locker room who I love so much. Whether they score a touchdown, call a Jahmir run into the center’s rear end again, lose coverage and leave two wide receivers wide open again, or fumble the ball, my love for them could not be any deeper. Sort of like my love for a pecan waffle and a patty melt. Speaking of which, I’m hungry. Let’s go eat. TStan’s buying!!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I am not defending Collins, but we are 13 points away from being 6-3 instead of 3-6. He is correct that we are putting ourselves in a position to win. It ain't happening right now, but these scores are not embarrassing and that is good to see.

Again, imo opinion, this has more to do with how bad the ACC is this year then anything.

Not saying there's no progress, but the ACC is just bad this year. That or teams have started to overlook us as an easy win. Miami was more sloppy then usual yesterday.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Post game press conferences after a loss are always bad. CPJ was too honest so folks said he was blaming his players. CGC is too positive so he is babying his players and not holding them accountable. I personally would rather have brutal honesty, but that is just me.

I will point out one thing CGC said in his presser that sums up my issue with him pretty well. When KQ asked him a question he alluded to his confidence. Beyond all the hype, I wonder if CGC has the ability to honestly evaluate the program, identify the problems, and make the required changes. To fix problems you have to acknowledge they exist and I have wondered for some time if his overconfidence gets in the way of that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Post game press conferences after a loss are always bad. CPJ was too honest so folks said he was blaming his players. CGC is too positive so he is babying his players and not holding them accountable. I personally would rather have brutal honesty, but that is just me.

I will point out one thing CGC said in his presser that sums up my issue with him pretty well. When KQ asked him a question he alluded to his confidence. Beyond all the hype, I wonder if CGC has the ability to honestly evaluate the program, identify the problems, and make the required changes. To fix problems you have to acknowledge they exist and I have wondered for some time if his overconfidence gets in the way of that.
Also, Paul Johnson had no soft spots for questions he consider dumb. He made some enemies in the press for snarky replies.

Animal02

Banned

During the broadcast yesterday, the announcers ( yes they were bad) said that GC had told them they were working to get of the 3 win HURDLE. ( or some similar term) My thought was WTF? Winning more than three games a year is some sort of great accomplishment?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
During the broadcast yesterday, the announcers ( yes they were bad) said that GC had told them they were working to get of the 3 win HURDLE. ( or some similar term) My thought was WTF? Winning more than three games a year is some sort of great accomplishment?
I heard that as well. My thought then was that CGC was just being honest about where we are this season. Getting more than three wins has to be our current goal because a lot of other possible goals are no longer possible.

LibertyTurns

Banned
CGC has said those words more than once in public. I think he thinks 3 wins is some sort of glass ceiling he needs to break. Doesn’t he know 5 wins is harder than 4 & it keeps getting increasingly harder the number of wins you’re trying to get.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Hard with him to tell if he does know how to fix the problem or if he can't identify them. and please CGC stop talking about Temple we don't care about them

GTBlaze

Banned
Definitely a rough presser from him. He's gotta know fans and media want answers for the losses.
I actually didn’t mind his press conference. I mean what can he say?

He truly believes that this program is so close to breaking out of this nightmare

We saw flashes of what this team is capable of doing against NC (who just beat an undefeated team)

I think he feels that if everybody just sticks to his process that the day will eventually come. I sure hope it does.

I’ve given up on him and his coaching staff but then I want to believe that he knows what he’s doing and eventually we will get to where we need to be

I just wish that for the remainder of the season we only focus on trying to pull a miracle and find a way to at least compete hard against UGA.. every practice, etc needs to be 200% dedicated to UGA

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CGC has said those words more than once in public. I think he thinks 3 wins is some sort of glass ceiling he needs to break. Doesn’t he know 5 wins is harder than 4 & it keeps getting increasingly harder the number of wins you’re trying to get.
A very good friend of mine played for Tennessee back in the championship years. His take is ... it doesn't take a great deal of talent or scheme to win 7 games. Decent athletes and coaches are sufficient. Each win over 7 is a geometric increase in preparation. He said the difference between a ten-win season and eleven-oh ... is monumental (cited a bunch of examples of how breaks go your way, injuries, etc.)

The effort, during the season, is all-consuming. By everyone.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Compare this pc to older post game pc. It might be just me, the words and message has’t changed but his tone has changed. The first two years there was confident, strong voice during the pc. I watched last years post game against UCF, the voice was strong and confident. This pc, his voice sounds hollow. I notice it during the weekly pc, I don’t know if it’s the weight of all the losses or if he doesn’t see it changing in the future, but his tone has changed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Compare this pc to older post game pc. It might be just me, the words and message has’t changed but his tone has changed. The first two years there was confident, strong voice during the pc. I watched last years post game against UCF, the voice was strong and confident. This pc, his voice sounds hollow. I notice it during the weekly pc, I don’t know if it’s the weight of all the losses or if he doesn’t see it changing in the future, but his tone has changed.

At his age, there is no way he was mentally prepared for this. No matter how much he actually believed that he was going to be facing a tremendous challenge, deep down I suspect he thought it would he would be ahead of where we actually are.

I took an extremely difficult job once (against the advice of some people I trusted). They told me about the challenges and they were correct in retrospect. But to get that situation turned around was a much longer and tougher situation than I envisioned. Part of my difficulties was the fact that I had not been used to being challenged at that level. The level of energy and commitment to the task was greater than anything I had ever done before and there were moments of second guessing and regret. The only solution was to work tirelessly and eliminate the obstacles that kept me from reaching those objectives, no matter how unpleasant each specific task was. Fortunately this situation did work out and the effort paid future dividends. But to say I enjoyed in the moment would be false.

It's similar to the situation us older guys saw on campus. How many high school valedictorians and whatnot who breezed through high school crumpled at Tech when their old methods of studying were no longer enough to be succesful? You either adapt or perish. It's up to Coach Collins how this story ends.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know if it’s the weight of all the losses or if he doesn’t see it changing in the future, but his tone has changed.
Guessing that he knows he's failing and his boss is breathing down his neck. I still haven't given up on TStan - If he's doing his job right, we won't know anything about behind the scenes until he makes a move. His biggest mistake(IMO) so far was buying what Collins was sellling.