Geoff Collins Press Conference Post Miami

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
His biggest mistake(IMO) so far was buying what Collins was sellling.
He had to buy something and we do not know what alternatives he considered. From the beginning this looked like a huge job. I can well imagine there were more than a few coaches who might otherwise have taken the job saw it as a monumental overhaul. Even in the best of times recruiting at GT is a challenge.

Animal02

Banned
He had to buy something and we do not know what alternatives he considered. From the beginning this looked like a huge job. I can well imagine there were more than a few coaches who might otherwise have taken the job saw it as a monumental overhaul. Even in the best of times recruiting at GT is a challenge.
He ignored anyone from the CPJ tree.......which would have made the unnecessary "overhaul" a lot less painful......

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
A very good friend of mine played for Tennessee back in the championship years. His take is ... it doesn't take a great deal of talent or scheme to win 7 games. Decent athletes and coaches are sufficient. Each win over 7 is a geometric increase in preparation. He said the difference between a ten-win season and eleven-oh ... is monumental (cited a bunch of examples of how breaks go your way, injuries, etc.)

The effort, during the season, is all-consuming. By everyone.

A similar point was often brought up about CPJ negatively. “If you take away his wins against FCS teams and Group Five…”. Well we now have a coach who can’t even win those games. We’d be over the “3 win hurdle” if Collins could have beaten a MAC team that was winless all last year. We’re 1-2 in our “cupcake” games under Collins.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it can be trained. That is what media people are for. Back in my corporate days, I had to prepare for TV stations to shout questions about strikes, reductions in force, environment, plant closures, plant openings, etc. And you have to do it with a smile on your face and absolute command of facts.

Geoff does not present a good image, imo. He needs to ditch the hat (indoors!) and look and speak like an adult, not a 12 year old. And all he has to do is say, "Football is a game of movement and contact. Our goal is to execute each play as perfectly as possible. We didn't do that. For example ... <mention a play that went bad>. And here's how we will address that in practice. Next question."
All of this ☝️

And about the hat. Any of you have a teenager who would drop his head slightly and hide behind his hat? Collins comes across that way sometimes. I feel like I want to say to a teenager, “Lose the hat, stand up straight, and look us in the eye.”

I know this comes across as overly critical and I apologize to everyone. Life gets on my nerves these days and sports are no longer a pleasant diversion but reinforce my dissatisfaction ☹️

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
First question, Quinlan asked if there was some common thread to the close losses, and Collins replied that Quinlan always wants to harp on the negative, instead of recognizing the positive plays that gave the team a chance to win.

Not a fabulous reply, IMO
The guy needs to stick to coaching and leave the writing to the writers. It was a perfectly legitimate question and obviously Collins knew it. God GT has gone out and rented us a whiner.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Again, imo opinion, this has more to do with how bad the ACC is this year then anything.

Not saying there's no progress, but the ACC is just bad this year. That or teams have started to overlook us as an easy win. Miami was more sloppy then usual yesterday.
"Miami was more sloppy than usual yesterday." That takes some doing with the Canes. They gifted us a two point conversion that went 100 yards the other way, a missed 40 yard field goal, three turnovers that led to 14 points including a fumble caught in midair and returned for a TD, several dropped passes, and the usual Miami assortment of missed tackles and blocking assignments but they still won. Thanks to 16 yards total yards gained on the last 4 possessions largely due to a clearly rattled and pressured Jeff Simms who was not himself yesterday for some reason.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not defending Collins, but we are 13 points away from being 6-3 instead of 3-6. He is correct that we are putting ourselves in a position to win. It ain't happening right now, but these scores are not embarrassing and that is good to see.
we are also only 4 points against Duke to being 2-7

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Guessing that he knows he's failing and his boss is breathing down his neck. I still haven't given up on TStan - If he's doing his job right, we won't know anything about behind the scenes until he makes a move. His biggest mistake(IMO) so far was buying what Collins was sellling.
Not necessarily, My opinion he could have bought it and the product was not bad. BUT he needed to have a heavy hand helping getting the OC an DC. If you want to try this experiment, then get the best coaches you can afford. I still think CGC could have been wildly successful here. But he needed to help mitigate his weaknesses, not just step back and say "Hey Y'all Watch This."

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not defending Collins, but we are 13 points away from being 6-3 instead of 3-6. He is correct that we are putting ourselves in a position to win. It ain't happening right now, but these scores are not embarrassing and that is good to see.
Have not posted in a while about this season since I would be adding to the negative narrative. However, this is a very interesting statement.

It would be interesting to know where these "13 points" could have changed the outcomes of games. Is it something that can be identified and corrected? Is it things like the team came out flat footed on defense like today? Is it wasted time outs? Blown coverages? Offensive linemen missing an assignment? Something as simple as returning kickoffs and getting penalties that sends us back to the 10 yard line to start a drive (i.e. a blindside block)? Not enough corner blitzes? One less turnover (either fumble or silly int)? The list could go on, but you get my point.

Identify the mistakes and make someone responsible for fixing them. If TStan needs to bring in experts to teach CGC when and when not to call time outs, do it. If he needs to hire a quarterback coach, do it. This is a young and inexperienced coaching staff. If their on the job training is not enough, get some experts on a short contract to help out.

The team is playing too hard to keep coming up sort.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have not posted in a while about this season since I would be adding to the negative narrative. However, this is a very interesting statement.

It would be interesting to know where these "13 points" could have changed the outcomes of games. Is it something that can be identified and corrected? Is it things like the team came out flat footed on defense like today? Is it wasted time outs? Blown coverages? Offensive linemen missing an assignment? Something as simple as returning kickoffs and getting penalties that sends us back to the 10 yard line to start a drive (i.e. a blindside block)? Not enough corner blitzes? One less turnover (either fumble or silly int)? The list could go on, but you get my point.

Identify the mistakes and make someone responsible for fixing them. If TStan needs to bring in experts to teach CGC when and when not to call time outs, do it. If he needs to hire a quarterback coach, do it. This is a young and inexperienced coaching staff. If their on the job training is not enough, get some experts on a short contract to help out.

The team is playing too hard to keep coming up sort.
Well, start with the 2-point conversion in the NIU game. There are a bunch of places in the Clemson and Miami games where we could have scored had we not had untimely penalties. I am not saying these things did not happen, but we were not that far from winning those games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Bama game. They played horribly especially the first half. Saban was interviewed at half coming off the field. He looked at the reporter and camera and spoke the truth. That’s what confidence is. Confidence is being able to say we stunk, I stunk, and the players stunk without acting like the reporter shouldn’t have asked. When you know your plan is going to work you don’t have to say your plan is going to work 50 times a day. Collins has plenty of time to turn the tide against him. A good start would be being honest.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Bama game. They played horribly especially the first half. Saban was interviewed at half coming off the field. He looked at the reporter and camera and spoke the truth. That’s what confidence is. Confidence is being able to say we stunk, I stunk, and the players stunk without acting like the reporter shouldn’t have asked. When you know your plan is going to work you don’t have to say your plan is going to work 50 times a day. Collins has plenty of time to turn the tide against him. A good start would be being honest.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ and THIS