Geoff Collins Press Conference Post Miami

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nm
We don’t want any positivity. The football program sucks, our coaches suck, our players suck, GT sucks and life sucks. We are only here for a few years and everything is miserable while we are here. It would be better if we were all dead. There is no reason whatsoever to be positive. You live, life sucks, then you die. I don’t want to hear any idiots say something positive.
Lol. Even this goes too far for me. I appreciate the hyperbole, but the reality is our football program does suck right now, and it doesn’t feel like it’s getting better any time soon.

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow
The guys battled. But seems like they keep bringing up trusting each other and communication on the defensive side.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Whether I agree with @awbuzz or not, this is a good post. He is focused on a problem the coaches did not solve. Think about what you post.
I think the problem right now is that we are at a tipping point where all faith is about to be lost in the staff. People are tired of discussions about individual issues when the entire project is full of defects. The fan base is throwing their hands up and just saying the product sucks and someone needs to fix it.

The reality is that despite the assurances that we are getting better, we aren’t. We might be at individual things, but our team is regressing hard…and it’s obvious. Maybe the staff turns it around, but the mistakes (blown coverages, stupid interceptions, lost fumbles, threes and out) aren’t getting corrected. And before there are excuses about injuries, O line, etc. I’ll just say that I particularly don’t want to hear it. It’s year three and it’s always something. That game today with all the mistakes Miami made is the best chance at a win ANY football team will get in any given week, and we blew it. Quit making excuses and win some damn games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Definitely a rough presser from him. He's gotta know fans and media want answers for the losses.
I agree but we have some posters on here who say the coaches don’t owe the fans anything and that maybe we should just ignore the pressers. It certainly strikes me as a PR problem at the very least since so much of CGC approach is about branding.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I fantasize that two years from now this team will run like a well oiled machine, be competitive with anybody on the schedule, and we will look back at these moments and see that it was a hard path but we were making progress toward our goal the whole time. But all I have is the present reality where I honestly can’t see how we get from here to there. I wish someone would explain what’s changing to get us to that happy place. I still want to believe but I need an explanation that makes rational sense, not blaming the previous coach, or making excuses, or lowering the bar on what “elite” means.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I fantasize that two years from now this team will run like a well oiled machine, be competitive with anybody on the schedule, and we will look back at these moments and see that it was a hard path but we were making progress toward our goal the whole time. But all I have is the present reality where I honestly can’t see how we get from here to there. I wish someone would explain what’s changing to get us to that happy place. I still want to believe but I need an explanation that makes rational sense, not blaming the previous coach, or making excuses, or lowering the bar on what “elite” means.
I hear you friend, I wrote out a post before this game comparing the Amazon shift to a theoretical version of our GT football reality earlier this week.

As I think more, I keep thinking this is going to take some moneyed alumni to decide they’re going to flex and do what needs doing. Until then, we have got what we’ve got.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain why they run 10 seconds off the clock , Why not look at the replay and see where the clock was when his knee was on the ground . It was not a penalty so why run 10 seconds off

Because if the would have made the correct call, approximately 10 seconds would have run off before the next snap.

It is kind of a dumb rule.....but given stoppage for review of plays, what else can they do.

It’s definitely not perfect, but I’d argue not running time off would be more unfair to Miami in this situation because if the correct call was made, the clock would have been moving as we scrambled to get another play off. If the shoe was on the other foot, we’d all be happy for the rule. I’m more than a little embarrassed our head coach didn’t know that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wasn’t going to watch CGC’s press conference because of all the commentary but I just finished. I really don’t think it was that bad. Certainly not as bad as last week. Someone’s coaching him up on these things I think and it shows.

That being said he needs a deeper understanding of what to say in different circumstances. Someone remarked he said at halftime we needed to keep playing good defense despite having yielded 300 yds. I can see how he thinks the takeaways = good defense, but the real message there was we needed to keep forcing turnovers, stop them on 3rd down and get the offense going by getting the ball in the hands of our playmakers. When he answers these questions like he does he comes off as less intelligent than the sideline reporters. Nobody’s expecting a technical breakdown of the game in these 30 sec snippets, but he could watch what others are doing and try to learn from them.

Nothing good ever comes from either a halftime interview or a post-game interview. You just need to get it over with without embarrassing yourself.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When he answers these questions like he does he comes off as less intelligent than the sideline reporters. Nobody’s expecting a technical breakdown of the game in these 30 sec snippets, but he could watch what others are doing and try to learn from them.

I quit watching coach pressers a long time ago. Just felt like people either asked lame questions or the coaches answered in coachspeak most of the time. (Although if we ever hire Mike Leach I would watch those).

As far as the improptu questions, I do not know if that is a skill that can be trained or not. I have seen tons of highly intelligent people (adults and students) stumble or totally freeze when asked to speak in an impromptu or off the cuff situation. Give those same people a few minutes to prepare an answer and they will do fine. I am one of those. In "official" or work situations I will always ask to continue a conversation and then come back to the question. That would not work in the halftime scenarios but usually works in the work environment. This strategy keeps me from blurting out (and regretting) the first thing that pops into my head. I think it is why I liked math so much. If X = 2 I did not have to rationalize, defend or defend my answer. Geoff does appear to be one who IS flustered in these moments as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Loved Bobby Bowden press conferences:“Heck, they kept changing up this thing and that thing and our guys couldn’t keep up and whenever they put number 23 in motion we just couldn’t find him, gosh darn it.”

Not an actual statement by him but a facsimile of how he responded many times in games he lost. The gist was “we got beat, gosh darn it.”

LibertyTurns

Banned
@4shotB My old Boss was like that. I cringed whenever he spoke off the cuff. Then again, I cringed whenever he spoke in almost any circumstance. I had to do a LOT of spoon feeding to keep that dude afloat.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
When he said “and some things got called back again” that was it. That was such a childish moment the way he snapped his neck to deflect the blame to the referees. I do not like that whatsoever.
The refs did not call it both ways yesterday IMO which stinks because I would have liked to see the outcome all things equal. Gibbs TD called back against VT last week was bogus too. It seems GT gets it every week.