Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As for Collins... What can I say?? I think he is all talk and no do. Time will tell, but every time I hear him talk, it's like listening to some teacher on a Peanuts cartoon. A bunch of meaningless words. Time will tell, but I don't think he is the right fit.

I wonder what would have happened had GT hired Les Miles?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So was it the Approach? Or the Deployment?

Partly the deployment, for sure. Paul could have recruited better, and the money sources could have ponied up more resources for recruiting staff and assistant coaches who could recruit better. That having been said, the system did seem to have its limitations.

Animal02

Banned
Partly the deployment, for sure. Paul could have recruited better, and the money sources could have ponied up more resources for recruiting staff and assistant coaches who could recruit better. That having been said, the system did seem to have its limitations.
No doubt it has limitations........just like Tech has far more limitations than pretty much every P5 school. There still seems to be this fantasy floating around that Tech will become a consistent top 25 team. Not going to happen as long as the academic issues remain.....and with the pay for image / likeness on the horizon, will probably fall further back.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I see no problem with posting data. It's meant to be interpreted and ideally discussed, and this should be no different.

With this data set, I'd offer that context is missing as is often the case with purely looking at W-L records. As an example, CPJ and CCG had virtually the same record vs. FBS teams (neither lost to FCS), yet it seems on this board most preferred the CPJ years. For this season, many folks have solidified their opinion on what's within the coaches' control vs. what is not, and the merits of why coaches are making certain decisions, so I suspect that's partly why some folks are frustrated. Either way, I enjoy data posts, and folks should rebut the content if they disagree.

So to add, I posted a thread Geoff Collins as a HC - Full Season Data from his time at Temple. The data and discussion went beneath the covers of pure W-L and the make-up of what went into those numbers. One positive is that FEI highlighted a big jump in offensive efficiency from year 1 to year 2. I expect us to improve next year on this front as well, though to what degree is TBD on a few variables. The thread also got into the Temple roster, including the fact that Temple lost it's starting QB among others in the offseason prior to Collins' first year.
I will be severely disappointed if we don't see a great improvement in our offensive efficiency next year. It will be hard to go down lower, but not impossible, than we currently are.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
CKN took over a fully developed 30 team. NO rebuilding, just manage what was built by CPJ. But, are you suggesting we hire CKN?

Not at all. I am all in with CGC!

Just doing my best impersonation of the OP. Dropping 'stats' without any context. Funny how with Collins, the numbers are the numbers. But CPJ at Navy gets excuses. I honestly don't care about the first few years in either case - those get a pass from me as coaches are building their program.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Just my general impressions thus far:

I don't think CCG is the answer and I'm not a fan of his personal sales style, which largely comes across as try-hard to me.
Still, his energy and positivity are sincere and refreshing. He has to make some silly spins ("biggest transition ever!"; Temple-as-powerhouse; etc) but I think players respond well to the general trajectory of it: we're down but not out, we've got some good stuff around the corner, sort of thing. So while I think he's grating in some respects, I do like the glass-half-full outlook and hope it pays off with recruits.

Offensively - meh. As predicted, CPJ haters are not terribly principled when it comes to criticizing offensive styles and in-game coaching. We're not good and I don't think anyone should have ever believed we'd stay at the same level, much less improve, with DP. We were good-to-elite with CPJ on offense nearly every year; that's rarefied air and it's not reasonable to make that the benchmark. This is where the TO-opponents run into some real problems. Did they think "opening up" the offense was just bound to result (eventually, if not immediately), in performance better than 2009 or 2014, where we were #2 and ti#3 in OFEI respectively? It's unlikely to ever happen. Any belief to the contrary was based purely on hypothetical chalkboard presuppositions, made mostly from positions of relative ignorance about any offensive/defensive schemes and largely motivated by aesthetic preferences.

But we don't need to maintain the offensive performance to match or exceed Johnson's overall success. If the defense trends upward, as I suspect it will, a mediocre offense can be enough. Maybe DP can get us that or slightly more. Like with CGC, I'm not personally convinced that he'll be able to - but maybe. I'm willing to cut him some slack this year due to injuries. As I think ibeeballin has shown well, he's not a moron on the chalkboard. Very few D1 guys are though; the real job of coaching is teaching your guys how to do what you want them to do. We will see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what would have happened had GT hired Les Miles?
While Les is on the down hill, he has the ability to attract a top staff and is a wild card. Your idea of Miles is like my idea of the UCF staff and their coach (my son know him) are bothinteresting.

Since we owe 200,000,000 $, donations are 11,000,000 $ , we make yearly interest only payments 12,000,000$, we are like the quote above “Given enough time and money, I can solve ANY problem”, Shelton quipped. “You have neither.”

If cpj had known and told tstan at start of 18 he was ready to retire, we would have time to do lots of talk then find $$ are not enough to get more than who we hired.

Only can hope that the master salesmen to kids can build a team of assistant coaches to put competent team on the field.

To make the next step above beating the Dukes of the acc , he needs so show he can pull rabbits out of hat by in game coaching.

It is what it is - we don't got any money.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where is this? Whatever the school, they were getting blown out according to the score board. 35- 0 in the first quarter? Gee, that is not a good look.
yea - it was bad - Pensacola high is in shambles and is in a major rebuild. Thanks for the interest.
Last year - 3 guys went D1. The 35-0 team we played in the photo is a class above us and was #8 in state of FLA. It was a slaughter. (When we posted this photo to our face book - i made sure to cut the score off).. We just had our last game against our arch rival, Escambia High School, and it was a real bummer. Its a good thing thier coach and our coach are friends. The 35-0 team was beaten by Escambia by 50-7 so Escambia only scored 52 on us. They are loaded w talent, well coached, are 10-0, and play New Syrmna Beach tonight in first round of playoffs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No doubt it has limitations........just like Tech has far more limitations than pretty much every P5 school. There still seems to be this fantasy floating around that Tech will become a consistent top 25 team. Not going to happen as long as the academic issues remain.....and with the pay for image / likeness on the horizon, will probably fall further back.

Maybe, but I haven't given up on that. We've got some limitations, but we also have some advantages if we can exploit them. I still think we should expand our recruiting scope and look for good football players nationally who might want what we have to offer academically - solid, smart players who are going to think beyond t-shirt sales. But things are looking up recruiting-wise now. We'll see what happens.

Animal02

Banned
Maybe, but I haven't given up on that. We've got some limitations, but we also have some advantages if we can exploit them. I still think we should expand our recruiting scope and look for good football players nationally who might want what we have to offer academically - solid, smart players who are going to think beyond t-shirt sales. But things are looking up recruiting-wise now. We'll see what happens.
I have been saying we needed a national recruiting system for over a decade. Sat next to a BYU recruiter on a flight 20 years ago. His territory was Ohio, Pa, and other parts of the Midwest.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

From 89-04 we were a top 25 program. That's a pretty long stretch of being consistently solid with a few very good -great seasons mixed in. Not sure why you don't think we can return to that but don't criticize people for viewing 15-19 as the aberration as opposed to viewing 89-04 as the aberration.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
not even close. The Citadel is a forgettable loss in a season that literally every college football prediction got right except GT fans in this forum.
No one but Citadel and GT fans will remember that meaningless game 5 years from now. No one outside of GT and the Citadel even cares about it now. Outside of this forum, It wasn't earth-shattering nor paid much attention to when it happened since almost all of college football knew we were in a massive rebuilding year.

It was embarrassing. A Furman moment.

Conversely, the 2013 blown 20-pt collapse at home to an avg. pack of mutts will live in infamy. Because it was against uga, not the stupid Citadel. It was a debacle and the worst loss in the history of the program, with the 2009 home loss a close 2nd. The MTSU loss is equally forgettable.

Nope. We were expected to lose to uga. We are always expected to lose to uga, and other than uga fans, other fan bases don't care about that loss to uga.

Lose to a mediocre FCS team and everyone mocks you. The Citadel loss is the worst loss of the last 30 years by a wide margin.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From 89-04 we were a top 25 program. That's a pretty long stretch of being consistently solid with a few very good -great seasons mixed in. Not sure why you don't think we can return to that but don't criticize people for viewing 15-19 as the aberration as opposed to viewing 89-04 as the aberration.

Are you sure about that? I remember '92-'96, as well as several other seasons, as definitely not being top 25.

We only finished ranked in '90, '97, '98, '99, 00, & '01, The rest of those years we were unranked.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
yea - it was bad - Pensacola high is in shambles and is in a major rebuild. Thanks for the interest.
Last year - 3 guys went D1. The 35-0 team we played in the photo is a class above us and was #8 in state of FLA. It was a slaughter. (When we posted this photo to our face book - i made sure to cut the score off).. We just had our last game against our arch rival, Escambia High School, and it was a real bummer. Its a good thing thier coach and our coach are friends. The 35-0 team was beaten by Escambia by 50-7 so Escambia only scored 52 on us. They are loaded w talent, well coached, are 10-0, and play New Syrmna Beach tonight in first round of playoffs.

My condolences to you and the Tigers. Better days lie ahead for those that keep working to improve.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nope. We were expected to lose to uga. We are always expected to lose to uga, and other than uga fans, other fan bases don't care about that loss to uga.

Lose to a mediocre FCS team and everyone mocks you. The Citadel loss is the worst loss of the last 30 years by a wide margin.

I guess I agree with this. Its one thing to lose to an FCS team, it is another to lose to one that lost to Samford and is considered mediocre or worse. Worst loss in the last 30 years? Probably to a neutral observer.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Are you sure about that? I remember '92-'96, as well as several other seasons, as definitely not being top 25.

We only finished ranked in '90, '97, '98, '99, 00, & '01, The rest of those years we were unranked.

We have not been a consistent top 25 PROGRAM as perceived by unbiased observers since the O'Leary days I would surmise and even then it was kind of fringe and certainly not factory like year after year of top recruiting classes, conference championships, and New Year's Day bowls. We will probably never again be a top 25 program as long as the academic and money restrictions remain in force. This is not to say, we can't have outstanding seasons every so often just not year after year greatness like the factories. IMHO for what it is worth, probably not much.

This is a personal reflection on just how much the college football landscape has changed in one generation. It is very hard to win consistently without total commitment from the top down: administration, athletic director, boosters, alumni, everyone. Tech has not shown a willingness to buy into a total commitment to football beyond window dressing especially by school administrators.

Jmonty71

Banned

It's not quite a Michigan loss to App State level, but I feel you. Losses like that, has to put a hurting on recruiting. Hard to have recruits take you serious as a major FBS school.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
How hard is it to understand that we do not have a real QB on the roster? Of course our offense is going to suck without a QB. I’m a CPJ super fan but he never found his Tracy Ham. JT was close but once he left we were hosed. That is on CPJ. Until we get a real P5 college QB we are going to struggle. The AD and power brokers understand this which is why they gave Collins 7 years. All any of us can do is patiently wait until that day comes. And under Collins, Key, and Choice it will. But in the mean time we get to watch CPJ’s “athlete QB” try and complete passes behind a CPJ recruited offensive line. Thankfully, Collins knows how to turn a roster and we are going to see massive personnel change starting in January. Then a lot of GT fans will whine about that. It’s going to be fun watching Collins pull a Saban and seeing many GT fans freak out that our coach has the audacity to make the team better.