Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How hard is it to understand that we do not have a real QB on the roster? Of course our offense is going to suck without a QB. I’m a CPJ super fan but he never found his Tracy Ham. JT was close but once he left we were hosed. That is on CPJ. Until we get a real P5 college QB we are going to struggle. The AD and power brokers understand this which is why they gave Collins 7 years. All any of us can do is patiently wait until that day comes. And under Collins, Key, and Choice it will. But in the mean time we get to watch CPJ’s “athlete QB” try and complete passes behind a CPJ recruited offensive line. Thankfully, Collins knows how to turn a roster and we are going to see massive personnel change starting in January. Then a lot of GT fans will whine about that. It’s going to be fun watching Collins pull a Saban and seeing many GT fans freak out that our coach has the audacity to make the team better.
Right now I don't care who is the QB P'nut is over his head. As for CGC I still like him if he figures out about CGC before it's his down fall. And to compare CGC to Saban which I don't like is ridiculous Saban has proved it CGC is still working on it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No debate from me. Find a coach willing to take a 4 year deal at Tech. I’ll bet it’s s short list.
you may be surprised probably not someone who everyone would be happy with at Tech . 7 years is a long time and I have no idea what the AD was thinking. My guess his 1st recruiting class was not his other than maybe 2 or 3 players . This recruiting class and the next one are his breakpoint that means in year 4 we need to see a big difference in Improvement. Not just the coach saying it. If he shows some improvement in year 4 than he can tell the next group of recruits I will be here all 4 of your years. If we still have a losing season in year 4 I look for the AD to start the hunt again or update his resume.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
you may be surprised probably not someone who everyone would be happy with at Tech . 7 years is a long time and I have no idea what the AD was thinking. My guess his 1st recruiting class was not his other than maybe 2 or 3 players . This recruiting class and the next one are his breakpoint that means in year 4 we need to see a big difference in Improvement. Not just the coach saying it. If he shows some improvement in year 4 than he can tell the next group of recruits I will be here all 4 of your years. If we still have a losing season in year 4 I look for the AD to start the hunt again or update his resume.

You may be right. But if Collins is roughly 0.500 and the overall direction is improving (season tix renewals, ACCN revenue, donor dollars), he’s here for a while.

Much as it pains me to say it, Tech is not a marquee program.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. But if Collins is roughly 0.500 and the overall direction is improving (season tix renewals, ACCN revenue, donor dollars), he’s here for a while.

Much as it pains me to say it, Tech is not a marquee program.
I guess my question is do we really know if we had an improvement it ticket sales. I know the section I am it we loss some and pick up a few new one. But the ones that are new are not planning to get them next year, I know early they said we were ahead in season tickets but at the end were we ?

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How about not giving absurdly long contracts with no track record and then reward for actual performance. What a concept.
Can you imagine how unbearable your comments would become if Collins had a three or four year contract? You'd be calling for the buyout every single day instead of just complaining. And what if he did well and Florida's looking for their next coach and can pay up more than we can (he's coached there too)?

We had to give a longer contract to protect against some of our more reactionary fans (of which there's a few in this thread). Collins is a great recruiter, that's a given. He also doesn't just go after skill players to boost his ratings, which is good long term. If he turns out not to be able to coach to match (and I would argue our D has been coached very well), then the next guy will have a fully loaded war chest to use.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I guess my question is do we really know if we had an improvement it ticket sales. I know the section I am it we loss some and pick up a few new one. But the ones that are new are not planning to get them next year, I know early they said we were ahead in season tickets but at the end were we ?

Hard to say. For 2019, you’ll have to wait until June 2020 to see the trend. Unless Tech publishes an interim.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pop Quiz:

You have a head coach who in his last 6 years goes , 7-4 , 7-4, 9-2 , 8-4, 6-5, 10-2-1.

You hire a replacement ( he did play for your school) his first 6 years go like this 2-9. 3-8 , 6-4-1 ( shows a little improvement ) 6-5 , 5-6 , and year 6 goes 2-8-1 ok what would you do ?

this is a real case Y'all know who it is but you make the call.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He also doesn't just go after skill players to boost his ratings, which is good long term.
Pretty sure it's easier to boost your ratings via lineman since you have to recruit more for your roster (which is one reason why CPJ had lower overall rating since we did not need prototypical lineman). Not that it matters too much since I don't really thing Collins worries about class ranking as much as posters on this board do. He's going to recruit the players he thinks gives us the best chance to win, just like every other coach does.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pop Quiz:

You have a head coach who in his last 6 years goes , 7-4 , 7-4, 9-2 , 8-4, 6-5, 10-2-1.

You hire a replacement ( he did play for your school) his first 6 years go like this 2-9. 3-8 , 6-4-1 ( shows a little improvement ) 6-5 , 5-6 , and year 6 goes 2-8-1 ok what would you do ?

this is a real case Y'all know who it is but you make the call.

I give up who is it? What I would do is expand the curriculum, fire the president, devote every dollar I had to recruiting, enhance fan game day experience, and hire George P. Burdell as football coach for life.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yea and in 1957-1960. The of course he went 44-18-1. LOL

In his ghostwritten autobiography, Dodd said that those years were the worst of this coaching career. He was depressed at the lack of support from the Hill, he was enduring substandard recruiting classes, and seriously entertained the idea of pursuing the job at Texas. His wife, Alice said he was "pitiful". But recruiting Billy Martin, Rufus Guthrie, Dave Watson, Joe Aurer, Billy Lothridge, and Gerry Bussells soon set things to right.