Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was writing up a response, deleted one, wrote another, before I saw yours. You said succinctly a lot of what I wanted to say.

I hope CGC succeeds. I wish this year had gone better so everyone could have collectively gone all in. As it is, I’m sitting here in a middle ground second guessing everything I type because someone will find something to get upset about.
I feel the same. I liked CPJ but thought it was time for him to go. I like CGC not crazy about the salesman stuff. Hope it works for him but still hope that he sees the light on P'nut.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How do I volunteer as an unpaid coach?
Sorry, u have to start in high school. It will keep real busy so u arent a key board warrior.

First year I am the getting tried at community out reach. Giving free admin and hot dog/ drink to youth league football players in uniform - fans in stands and future hs players.
So much fun. Next get grocery stores to donate food for post practice player training table.
20190927_193926.jpg

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
RSF,
Paul is gone and Geoff is our guy...I want Geoff to grow into Lombardi...
But, as horrible as loss to MTSU was in '13, or to Furman in '83..... the worst loss in the history of GT football was Citadel 2019...

not even close. The Citadel is a forgettable loss in a season that literally every college football prediction got right except GT fans in this forum.
No one but Citadel and GT fans will remember that meaningless game 5 years from now. No one outside of GT and the Citadel even cares about it now. Outside of this forum, It wasn't earth-shattering nor paid much attention to when it happened since almost all of college football knew we were in a massive rebuilding year.

It was embarrassing. A Furman moment.

Conversely, the 2013 blown 20-pt collapse at home to an avg. pack of mutts will live in infamy. Because it was against uga, not the stupid Citadel. It was a debacle and the worst loss in the history of the program, with the 2009 home loss a close 2nd. The MTSU loss is equally forgettable.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Players or coaches.

There are two decidedly different groups on this board as to why the team has had such a rough season. (And of course those that blame everything on CPJ)

I fall more into the "coaches" group. For two reasons. First, I drank the kool aide and believed CGC was going to outperform this year. I was ready for him to get ACC coach of the year. Second, I am still baffled by the offense.

I have one foot in the players group because of the injuries on the OL. I concede scheming around a makeshift OL is difficult but not impossible

The athletes on tech's roster are not "ashes" as on poster put it. There is talent on the field.

True, there is talent but most of it is in the defensive backfield and precious little on the lines where games are won or lost. If someone up front is not blocking and tackling then all that athleticism in the backfields is not going to go anywhere.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not even close to the Citadel game. There is NEVER an excuse to lose to FCS competition.

To tell you the truth, I always thought losing to Furman during Coach Curry's tenure was about as bad as it gets but yes, both the aforementioned losses to the Citadel and Middle Tennessee State were pretty bad. The Middle Tennessee State was embarrassing because the MTS coach told Coach Johnson that they were stealing poor Al Groh's defensive signals from the second quarter on and the Citadel was cringe worthy as we were getting beat by the same out dated "high school offense" that we just got out of. These things happen best to forget about it and move on. Could be worse...could be Michigan losing to Appalachian State, Alabama losing to whoever it was in Saban's first year and so forth.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, u have to start in high school. It will keep real busy so u arent a key board warrior.

First year I am the getting tried at community out reach. Giving free admin and hot dog/ drink to youth league football players in uniform - fans in stands and future hs players.
So much fun. Next get grocery stores to donate food for post practice player training table.
View attachment 7149

Where is this? Whatever the school, they were getting blown out according to the score board. 35- 0 in the first quarter? Gee, that is not a good look.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It's his third year as a head coach, so your numbers are meaningless and Paul Johnson was 2-10 his first year at Navy which also proved nothing. So just stop with this.
Navy was also winless for multiple seasons before he got there, so not even close.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I studied mechanical engineering at Tech. Two lessons I still vividly remember.
  1. S. Peter Kezios. My transport professor once said, we live in a world of constraints. You can’t do what you want because of budget limitations, material limitations, etc. so don’t worry about designing the perfect solution. Design the best solution that can be implemented.
  2. Sam Shelton. My Thermodynamics professor was confronted by a student asking for more time on an exam. “Given enough time and money, I can solve ANY problem”, Shelton quipped. “You have neither.”
Tech should stop lurching from one system to the next and honestly ask itself, “Given the constraints of academics, size of the fan base, media, and recruiting ... what is the best approach to athletics we can take to compete at a D1 level?”

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the AA speak to this. But this is Georgia Tech thinking.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
CPJ at Navy... 45-29, 0.608%
CKN at Navy... 94-59, 0.614%
CKN > CPJ

Statistically, it would say this difference has no mathematical significance, but also, CPJ inherited (as everyone likes to say about CGC) a much worse situation than CKN. Remember, of the 29 losses that PJ had, 10 were in the first year.

Jmonty71

Banned
As for Collins... What can I say?? I think he is all talk and no do. Time will tell, but every time I hear him talk, it's like listening to some teacher on a Peanuts cartoon. A bunch of meaningless words. Time will tell, but I don't think he is the right fit.