Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
He deserves national coach of the year if he can do that. I don't see the logic behind this line of thinking though. Are you just ignoring the glaring weaknesses at the most critical positions - OL, DL, QB? Those aren't going to be solved by freshman next year.
I’m not saying I expect to win 10 games, but it’s not unreasonable to expect to not be out of the game in the 1st half against Duke, lose to a below average FCS team, and consistently get beat by multiple scores to a bunch of average ACC teams. I realize our OL was recruited for CPJs offense, but with this “monumental” transformation refrain you’d think these guys were playing field hockey before this season. I know you can’t count on freshmen on the OL, but we’re getting almost everyone back next year including guys who are out for the season. If the guys we have are SO ill equipped to play in this system, and our current staff is recruiting at an “ELITE” level, then it stands to reason that 1 or 2 of these 7 ELITE OL recruits coming in should be upgrades, no?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I certainly took the OPs post history into account. We are all capable of looking up CGC's record. Most of us know it off the top of our heads. Is there any non-trolling reason to create a whole thread about it? Is any new and relevant discussion of GT football likely to come from it? I personally dont see it.

It's just more thinly-veiled bashing of the head coach because he's not PJ and doesn't run a 25-QB-Keeper/Game offense and call it 'genius'. What's bizarre is that it's allowed and somewhat encouraged but pointing out anything negative about the previous staff that's no longer even on campus will get you banned by the mods. And only the previous staff: Bash Gailey all you want - that's OK. Even though the rules say otherwise, it's OK to bash the current staff and players. Just don't say anything bad about St. PJ.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's just more thinly-veiled bashing of the head coach because he's not PJ and doesn't run a 25-QB-Keeper/Game offense and call it 'genius'. What's bizarre is that it's allowed and somewhat encouraged but pointing out anything negative about the previous staff that's no longer even on campus will get you banned by the mods. And only the previous staff: Bash Gailey all you want - that's OK. Even though the rules say otherwise, it's OK to bash the current staff and players. Just don't say anything bad about St. PJ.
Seriously, who cares? There is no harm, and you are not obligated to respond. Frickin’ grow up.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously, who cares? There is no harm, and you are not obligated to respond. Frickin’ grow up.

there's no harm in pointing out the numerous negatives of any staff....but only one here is off-limits. Strangely, it's the one not even employed by GT anymore.

And your response is somewhat laughable, given how triggered the PJ Fan Club gets whenever Duke, etc are pointed out. No harm though, right? LOL Frickin grow up yourself and stop bashing current employees of GT. It's expressly forbidden in the oft-ignored Site Rules.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
there's no harm in pointing out the numerous negatives of any staff....but only one here is off-limits. Strangely, it's the one not even employed by GT anymore.

And your response is somewhat laughable, given how triggered the PJ Fan Club gets whenever Duke, etc are pointed out. No harm though, right? LOL Frickin grow up yourself and stop bashing current employees of GT. It's expressly forbidden in the oft-ignored Site Rules.
Not sure this would be a good year to bring up Duke. :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

If you think bashing the CPJ staff was off limits, you must have ignored 50% of the posts the last decade or so. There are plenty of posters here today, who were never banned, who straight up trolled CPJ consistently. It's a never ending cycle. CGC, just as he was starting to gain traction with a ranked recruiting class, handed an FCS loss to those who were against him from the start. CPJ never lived down MTSU. Every coach gets trolled by vocal minorities in the fanbase. This is not new or unique.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Actually, the site rules just state no personal attacks. I am not sure the insults levied against CPJ and CGC have been personal in nature, but rather job specific, which is, IMO, why they have both been allowed to stand.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think bashing the CPJ staff was off limits, you must have ignored 50% of the posts the last decade or so. There are plenty of posters here today, who were never banned, who straight up trolled CPJ consistently. It's a never ending cycle. CGC, just as he was starting to gain traction with a ranked recruiting class, handed an FCS loss to those who were against him from the start. CPJ never lived down MTSU. Every coach gets trolled by vocal minorities in the fanbase. This is not new or unique.

MTSU? The 2013 loss to the mutts is the worst GT loss of the past 50 years and was an embarrassment totally caused by PJ. The belief that his scheme provided any sort of advantage should've been shattered during the joke of 2017 and the snoozefest of 2018 that culminated in the team quitting in the Detroit Debacle after PJ himself had quit.

I wasn't here during that last decade or so. At TOS, the type of stuff posted in here about CGC would've gotten you banned if you posted it about St. PJ. I've gotten warnings for PJ stuff here even though he's no longer on the GT payroll nor represents us at all....but bashing the current staff is encouraged, it appears, even though that's expressly against the rules.

Personally, I say no staff should be off-limits. These guys are big boys and millionaires and as long as the criticism is performance directed (like being a lazy recruiter, losing to Duke/Citadel, not caring about Defense or ST, stupid play calls, etc), I think it should be fair game.

But that's not what the rules say.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, the site rules just state no personal attacks. I am not sure the insults levied against CPJ and CGC have been personal in nature, but rather job specific, which is, IMO, why they have both been allowed to stand.

I agree with the jist of your argument but can attest that the enforcement has not followed yours & my shared belief here.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was writing up a response, deleted one, wrote another, before I saw yours. You said succinctly a lot of what I wanted to say.

I hope CGC succeeds. I wish this year had gone better so everyone could have collectively gone all in. As it is, I’m sitting here in a middle ground second guessing everything I type because someone will find something to get upset about.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Since CPJ is no idiot when it comes to football he could see what was coming and retired.

Seems as if some will accept no other HC who does not run the TO (except Bohannon coz he went to ugag).

So they would rather see recruiting totally implode, marketing go to hades and start losing more than the 58% rate in P5.

They care more for a man than the entire program.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
there's no harm in pointing out the numerous negatives of any staff....but only one here is off-limits. Strangely, it's the one not even employed by GT anymore

Not sure if you know this, but your comments are all still up.

This is the tu quoque fallacy. Well done.

Jolly Good Fellow
MTSU? The 2013 loss to the mutts is the worst GT loss of the past 50 years and was an embarrassment totally caused by PJ. The belief that his scheme provided any sort of advantage should've been shattered during the joke of 2017 and the snoozefest of 2018 that culminated in the team quitting in the Detroit Debacle after PJ himself had quit.

I wasn't here during that last decade or so. At TOS, the type of stuff posted in here about CGC would've gotten you banned if you posted it about St. PJ. I've gotten warnings for PJ stuff here even though he's no longer on the GT payroll nor represents us at all....but bashing the current staff is encouraged, it appears, even though that's expressly against the rules.

Personally, I say no staff should be off-limits. These guys are big boys and millionaires and as long as the criticism is performance directed (like being a lazy recruiter, losing to Duke/Citadel, not caring about Defense or ST, stupid play calls, etc), I think it should be fair game.

But that's not what the rules say.
RSF,
Paul is gone and Geoff is our guy...I want Geoff to grow into Lombardi...
But, as horrible as loss to MTSU was in '13, or to Furman in '83..... the worst loss in the history of GT football was Citadel 2019...