Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Players or coaches.

There are two decidedly different groups on this board as to why the team has had such a rough season. (And of course those that blame everything on CPJ)

I fall more into the "coaches" group. For two reasons. First, I drank the kool aide and believed CGC was going to outperform this year. I was ready for him to get ACC coach of the year. Second, I am still baffled by the offense.

I have one foot in the players group because of the injuries on the OL. I concede scheming around a makeshift OL is difficult but not impossible

The athletes on tech's roster are not "ashes" as on poster put it. There is talent on the field.
I think it is more or less equal parts of both, though I give some slack for the students who signed on for one style and are now being judged on their ability or inability to execute a game plan they never intended to play.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
What Coach is out there that you guys think could do better and that’s willing to come here? Don’t name a single one of the CPJ prodigies either because our record after 2015 shows the spread option was no longer the answer, and I guarantee not a single one of them wants to follow Paul’s footsteps. Tech post CPJ was not a popular job no matter how you spin it. We sold our soul to succeed based off one scheme and we are now left with not only one of the most unbalanced rosters but one of the worst scheme fit rosters in CFB. We are going to suck, it’s going to suck, but I promise you continuing to bash Collins isn’t going to make it feel better.
“Who do you want, but don’t say who you want.”

I see no point in relitigating the same stuff again, except that you’re misinterpreting the argument of the people who thought we should stay with the option. I generally think there’s a cap on the program; we are extremely unlikely to push ourselves into the group of roughly 12-14 schools who have legitimate national title potential. You’re obviously free to disagree with that. But, if one accepts that, you look for ways to maximize both the frequency and ceiling of good seasons. I thought the option did that. The record post 2015 does nothing to disprove that in the same way the 2010-2013 record did not prevent 2014 and 2016.

No one hates Collins. I would expect that 100% of the people on this board desperately want him to be successful. The question is how we get there and whether his way is best. Clearly we have no impact on what actually happens. We’re all just a bunch of randos posting on these here interwebs, but I don’t see why it’s problematic to banter back and forth on the subject, and it’s entirely unclear to me why people take disagreement so personally.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
No one hates Collins.
I agree with this. But it seems that when people want to discuss that maybe he's not doing as good a job as $3million should get - you are branded a hater who only wants to *****. For the record I'm not talking aobut not having 6 wins this season (or total at the end). I'm referring to some of the junior league lapses in coaching that people have hashed out here.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Every fan base believes their coach has junior league lapses after a loss. The term “armchair QB” has been around a long time. I could go thru examples but why. Just pick out any team and read their message boards. Some of you are taking the stuff on Collins way too far. I can promise you on Saturday at about 7:30pm either Saban or O will be accused of junior league lapses.

Animal02

Banned
What Coach is out there that you guys think could do better and that’s willing to come here? Don’t name a single one of the CPJ prodigies either because our record after 2015 shows the spread option was no longer the answer, and I guarantee not a single one of them wants to follow Paul’s footsteps. Tech post CPJ was not a popular job no matter how you spin it. We sold our soul to succeed based off one scheme and we are now left with not only one of the most unbalanced rosters but one of the worst scheme fit rosters in CFB. We are going to suck, it’s going to suck, but I promise you continuing to bash Collins isn’t going to make it feel better.
More horse crap. It drop in the program had little to do with the option. It had everything to do with the lack of resources thanks to previous ADs.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
More horse crap. It drop in the program had little to do with the option. It had everything to do with the lack of resources thanks to previous ADs.

DRad spent like crazy. Last year just opened a great locker room facility.

Who hired the ADs? Are the ADs the head of the GTAA?

We saved a ton of money by past 2 HC never using all our available ships.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Overall Record: 17-16

Record vs Teams with winning record: 6-14 {Wins: Navy (7-6), FIU (8-5), Cincy (11-2), Houston (8-5), USF (7-6), and Miami (5-4)}

Record vs Teams with losing record: 11 – 2 {Losses: UCONN (3-9) and Villanova (5-6)}

Record vs Teams with 9 or more wins: 1-7 (Includes 2019 Clemson)

Total Record of teams that Collins’ teams beat: 75 – 114 (.399 winning percentage)

View attachment 7135

Home Record: 8 - 8

Away Record: 8 - 8

Bowl Record: 1-0

Record vs Top 25: 1-5 {Win: Cincinnati (2018)}

Interesting. Perhaps just avoid the pain and not support GT football for next 7 years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
lol, I didn't scroll down and look at his record... I was just wondering because WRHS was where I went.
Y'all beat us we pick up y'all and dropped Valdosta. I remember a running back I think his name was Isaac Jackson he killed us. I was playing defense and after he scored the coach asked me did you see him? Like a dumb as* I said yes he ran right past me. I was on the bench the rest of the game. Probably before your time 68 - 69.

I was wrong he played for Sidney Lanier from Macon ( us old guys have to go back and look things up we forget)

Last edited:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s difficult to judge Collins at this point based on the results of his few seasons as a head coach. With only a few years under his belt he’s obviously inexperienced, but his potential is unknown. He did fine at Temple with someone else’s players. It wasn’t a disaster but he didn’t elevate the program to new heights either. Again, it’s difficult to judge based on only 2 years. I’m hoping to see more improvement over the rest of the season and next season. I realize that the 2020 schedule is tough, but in year 2 we need to stop consistently losing to the mediocre teams on our schedule. An uptick in talent seems inevitable with this staff, but Collins’ long term success will depend on his ability to get and keep great assistant coaches. Hopefully his over-the-top positive attitude will foster an environment where coaches want to work. Recruiting and juice alone are not going to get it done at GT.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
True, but no one in their right mind would have thought Bobby Ross to be anything less than a top tier coach. It was only a matter of time until Coach Ross got things turned around.
Ross didn't need to convince anyone here he knew how to coach. He arrived here having already made that obvious. With Ross, it was situation that if he didn't succeed---it was Tech, not him.
NOT a slam at our other HCs, but the only guy in a loooong time that has demonstrated a work ethic similar to CBR, is CGC.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all beat us we pick up y'all and dropped Valdosta. I remember a running back I think his name was Isaac Jackson he killed us. I was playing defense and after he scored the coach asked me did you see him? Like a dumb as* I said yes he ran right past me. I was on the bench the rest of the game. Probably before your time 68 - 69.

I was wrong he played for Sidney Lanier from Macon ( us old guys have to go back and look things up we forget)
Wow! I played for Lanier in the 8th thru 10th grades- 63-65. Jim Nolan (Tech center) was the HC.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
I realize that the 2020 schedule is tough, but in year 2 we need to stop consistently losing to the mediocre teams on our schedule.

He deserves national coach of the year if he can do that. I don't see the logic behind this line of thinking though. Are you just ignoring the glaring weaknesses at the most critical positions - OL, DL, QB? Those aren't going to be solved by freshman next year.

Animal02

Banned
It’s difficult to judge Collins at this point based on the results of his few seasons as a head coach. With only a few years under his belt he’s obviously inexperienced, but his potential is unknown. He did fine at Temple with someone else’s players. It wasn’t a disaster but he didn’t elevate the program to new heights either. Again, it’s difficult to judge based on only 2 years. I’m hoping to see more improvement over the rest of the season and next season. I realize that the 2020 schedule is tough, but in year 2 we need to stop consistently losing to the mediocre teams on our schedule. An uptick in talent seems inevitable with this staff, but Collins’ long term success will depend on his ability to get and keep great assistant coaches. Hopefully his over-the-top positive attitude will foster an environment where coaches want to work. Recruiting and juice alone are not going to get it done at GT.
Will it have been worth it to have 2-3 disaster seasons to return to our historic norm of 7-8 win seasons? I just don't see things changing that significantly without academic changes....and I think the paying for images etc will hurt Tech more. We have traded scheme advantage for some hoped for player increase in the future. ...I do not see Tech beating out the big state schools on a consistent basis with our academic limitations, no matter how much hype is thrown at the wall.