Geoff Collins - Head Coaching Numbers

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Will it have been worth it to have 2-3 disaster seasons to return to our historic norm of 7-8 win seasons? I just don't see things changing that significantly without academic changes....and I think the paying for images etc will hurt Tech more. We have traded scheme advantage for some hoped for player increase in the future. ...I do not see Tech beating out the big state schools on a consistent basis with our academic limitations, no matter how much hype is thrown at the wall.

This is what I am afraid MIGHT happen but he is the coach and has maintained that he is all in on pushing recruiting for all its worth. He MIGHT be vindicated or he MIGHT crash and burn. We will see. The academic limitations are real but can be mitigated to some extent with judicious recruiting of players who can do the work and have the potential, at least, to be successful. It can be done but there is a reason that Bobby Ross said that had he known what the challenges were at Tech he never would have come. Smart man, that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Paul’s first three years as a head coach he won 36 games and three conference championships - and a natty. With a mix of holdovers and his own players
I talked to him the day after he took the Navy job. Told him I thought he could go .500
He told me “you’re (bleepin) crazy” and that they’d be lucky to win anything that first year

Why did he go to Navy? Was it that much more money? Or was it the challenge? The proof is in the pudding: He won at Georgia Southern, he won at Navy, and he won here. Each had its own set of peculiar challenges and positives but Coach Johnson won at all three places. I have said it before and I will say it again, Coach Johnson was the best game day coach Tech ever had including Coaches O'Leary and Ross who were outstanding in their own right. I would not go so far as to put him with Dodd who even Bear Bryant said was the best in his initiable way: "We would have it made here at Alabama, if I didn't have to look across the field and see that damn Dodd" Probably a lot of coaches in the ACC said something similar about Coach Johnson.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would also expect that our O would make huge strides next year, but it would be difficult NOT to. We are currently 100/130 in OFEI. 122 in possession efficiency, 116 in TD rate, 126 in first down rate, 124 in available yards gained, 91 in explosive downs, 121 in busted drives, and 113 in turnover rate. Oddly, we are ranked 2nd in SoS according to the defenses we have played, so there's that. IMO, as we continue to acquire the pieces for this new offense, it will begin to produce better results. The silver lining, if you like that sort of thing, is that even with all the growing pains of this year, we are still better offensively that 8 P5 schools. (WVU, Vandy, Cal, Arkansas, Vandy, Pitt, Syracuse, & NCSU)

View attachment 7137

No place to go but up. Coach Collins and his staff know what needs to be done....best get to it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He deserves national coach of the year if he can do that. I don't see the logic behind this line of thinking though. Are you just ignoring the glaring weaknesses at the most critical positions - OL, DL, QB? Those aren't going to be solved by freshman next year.

This is very true but it is also true that if you don't start winning ball games then recruiting invariably begins to nose dive. The fact remains we have to win games to recruit better and recruit better to win games. Pretty hard to do both but its what must be done. Years two and three are when we find out what kind of a coach we have because it will be challenging with that schedule. I was watching UVA and Notre Dame last night. Poor Bryce Perkins was getting killed by Notre Dame. They are just huge and can run pretty well too. UVA hung with them until the fourth quarter but 5 turnovers were too much. Most of the turnovers were due to Perkins getting shellacked every time he passed. The thought of playing Notre Dame, UGA and Clemson along with a resurgent Miami is almost too much. At least we get UVA in Atlanta next year.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Will it have been worth it to have 2-3 disaster seasons to return to our historic norm of 7-8 win seasons? I just don't see things changing that significantly without academic changes....and I think the paying for images etc will hurt Tech more. We have traded scheme advantage for some hoped for player increase in the future. ...I do not see Tech beating out the big state schools on a consistent basis with our academic limitations, no matter how much hype is thrown at the wall.
I think this is a fairly succinct statement of the tradeoff made. If someone thinks it’s worth the chance, I’m comfortable with that. If not, I’m fine with that, too. I think it would be helpful if Collins would just have a transparent conversation about what’s happening and when he thinks it’s reasonable to expect more.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think we are lucky to have CGC. I mean, how many teams have a coach who invented the forward pass and the question mark? Who grew up watching Tech win 19 national championships? Who does the samba in the shower naked while designing dance moves. Who tweets in his sleep?

No we’re lucky. Very lucky.

(Total post in jest.)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don’t name a single one of the CPJ prodigies either because our record after 2015 shows the spread option was no longer the answer,

Just curious, if I trotted out the losing records of colleges running offense similar to CGCs, would you say that it is proof they don't work? Because, literally, there are plenty of examples that could prove that point as well...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, if I trotted out the losing records of colleges running offense similar to CGCs, would you say that it is proof they don't work? Because, literally, there are plenty of examples that could prove that point as well...

If you are not a factory, you had better have an edge. TO, no huddle, etc. Otherwise, the talent gap overcomes all.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yup. I was initially opposed to the hiring of CPJ, until I watched what his offense did against superior talent. Became a fan quick.

Had CPJ had a recruiter and someone to run football operations, he could have been phenomenal.

But ... I remember Bud Peterson saying his only responsibility to the sports program was ... to hire the AD. Sad.

So as I said in another post, I see the CGC hire as an experiment. Other than Key and CP, Collins and his staff are very inexperienced. Also we will see if a players coach can be successful. This is not to say that CPJ didn't love his players, but he was more old school that there was a division between him and the players. The hire of CPJ was only an experiment in could his offense work consistently at the P5 level and of course he proved it could. CPJ was a proven veteran coach as was much of his staff.

Time will tell if this experiment works and I will say it is not an easy job CGC walked into.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think we are lucky to have CGC. I mean, how many teams have a coach who invented the forward pass and the question mark? Who grew up watching Tech win 19 national championships? Who does the samba in the shower naked while designing dance moves. Who tweets in his sleep?

No we’re lucky. Very lucky.

(Total post in jest.)

No, the forward pass predates Coach Collins by over 100 years. Knute Rockne caught three touchdown passes against Army in 1913 which was when it became a big deal. It actually came about even earlier when President Roosevelt threatened to ban the game altogether following an Army game in which a player was killed. Seems like it was about 1906 or so as a way to spread the players out and reduce the habitual fisticuffs, kicking and other tactics. At another Army game, the West Point Commandant became so incensed at the ongoing violence in the trenches between Army and their opponent that he had his bugler blow "recall". To the astonishment of the other team, the Army players all stood at attention as the General roared: "Mr.___________ (the Army player) if you hit that man again, sir, I will put you on report" You sir, (directed to the other player) if you hit Mr. ____________ again sir, I will put you off this post" "Hit" being full on fisticuffs which is what was going on among other things. The violence during the infancy of college football was so pronounced, it was very close to being banned.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So as I said in another post, I see the CGC hire as an experiment. Other than Key and CP, Collins and his staff are very inexperienced. Also we will see if a players coach can be successful. This is not to say that CPJ didn't love his players, but he was more old school that there was a division between him and the players. The hire of CPJ was only an experiment in could his offense work consistently at the P5 level and of course he proved it could. CPJ was a proven veteran coach as was much of his staff.

Time will tell if this experiment works and I will say it is not an easy job CGC walked into.

I think CGC has the support of TStan and a number of influential donors. Is that enough? Idk. It must suck to play in a half empty stadium.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is a fairly succinct statement of the tradeoff made. If someone thinks it’s worth the chance, I’m comfortable with that. If not, I’m fine with that, too. I think it would be helpful if Collins would just have a transparent conversation about what’s happening and when he thinks it’s reasonable to expect more.
He has, at least on the latter, he said.....SOON ( of course to be fair, that is from where we are now!).

GTFLETCH

Banned
Overall Record: 17-16

Record vs Teams with winning record: 6-14 {Wins: Navy (7-6), FIU (8-5), Cincy (11-2), Houston (8-5), USF (7-6), and Miami (5-4)}

Record vs Teams with losing record: 11 – 2 {Losses: UCONN (3-9) and Villanova (5-6)}

Record vs Teams with 9 or more wins: 1-7 (Includes 2019 Clemson)

Total Record of teams that Collins’ teams beat: 75 – 114 (.399 winning percentage)

View attachment 7135

Home Record: 8 - 8

Away Record: 8 - 8

Bowl Record: 1-0

Record vs Top 25: 1-5 {Win: Cincinnati (2018)}
If this is true we might be in trouble

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yall are proving a point that most of you are biased and will only support a coach that runs your dungeon and dragons scheme. I hope we hire Monken one day and he flops, how stupid does that sound? Because that’s what yall all sound like.