Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I know about basketball is one team wins and one team loses.

So it is from that standpoint I ask -

1. it appears CJP is a lousy recruiter, so what team would take any of our players in transfer?

2. We screwed up the Hewitt contract which hurt us in hiring his replacement, which forced us financially to hire someone no better than hewitt’s replacement?

3. Due to number 2 above, we want to fire CJP with less financial capability to hire someone competent , than what we had when we hired hewitt’s replacement?

4. And what evidence do we have that anyone at GT is in the least bit competent to make a better hire, that we can afford (from a payout & new salary standpoint) than what we have now?

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Have supported Pastner for so long. This game is tipping point. Not sure what he does in practice. Maddening with the sloppy play. This is NOT vintage Virginia, many TOs self-inflicted. Just humiliating to lose on tribute to FF team. Pastner needs to light a fire under his a** during game. His oh shucks demeanor alone should get him run. Show some passion o. The sidelines, get into refs more, press, something to change it up, and shake life into team. Love Jose, Cole brings energy, Banks playing better - TOO MUCH TALENT TO BE 8-10. Wish this team was in the hands of Mike Brey.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1. it appears CJP is a lousy recruiter, so what team would take any of our players in transfer?

Jose, Mike, and Moses would all be taken on a lot of teams. In general Pastner has recruited poorly but done a decent job of filling out the roster through transfers to offset some of it. The poor recruiting is apparent we when look at our bench because our starting 5 are competitive with pretty much any in the ACC. The upcoming class is a step in the right direction in terms of recruiting, especially if we find a way to add Soto. If he can add Soto and then follows this class with a similar one in 2021 we'll be in a solid position from a roster composition standpoint.

2. We screwed up the Hewitt contract which hurt us in hiring his replacement, which forced us financially to hire someone no better than hewitt’s replacement?

I think the first half is true. I disagree with the second half though. I think Pastner is better than Gregory at least in terms of how the roster is being put together. Basically just look at what the roster was when Pastner took over to what the roster would be next year if we hired a new coach. It isn't particularly close which situation would be better. Now next year we'll be losing a similar amount of production so Pastner still has to prove he won't be in the same position of replacing a lot of production with nothing, but if he brings in classes similar to this year or 2018 class(read say 3~ 200 ranked players and a 4* on top) we'll be in a much better position than what he was left with.

3. Due to number 2 above, we want to fire CJP with less financial capability to hire someone competent , than what we had when we hired hewitt’s replacement?

Some do and it's stupid unless we have someone already lined up. If we can land a home run hire make the move 100%. Otherwise unless he pulls a gregory and brings in almost nobody in the 2021 class it doesn't make sense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Outside shooting would be nice to have, but we lost this game on dumb turnovers and giving up easy baskets with dumb defense. Let midget Clark beat you if he can (spoiler alert: he can’t beat you) but for goodness sake don’t double team him and leave a 7 footer open under the basket for a dunk. That’s just stupid. We weren’t ready for the way they hedge and double team on ball screens at the top of the key. That caused our guards and wings a lot of trouble. Seems like we should have been coached up a little better on that since it’s what uva does.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

4. And what evidence do we have that anyone at GT is in the least bit competent to make a better hire, that we can afford (from a payout & new salary standpoint) than what we have now?
On point number 1, calling him a poor recruiter at this stage is unfair. It has taken him a few years to establish himself in the ACC and the southeast, but he is showing progress. He even has a 4* coming next year from California. This is why I think he deserves another year with his players coming in and we only losing Banks which may be a blessing in disguise. If we had a good 3 point shooter, we could be really good this year, but nobody has stepped up. I don't understand why Price is not playing as he looks to me like he has the best shot. Maybe it's his defense that is keeping off the floor. I'm in favor of the idea of giving Pastner another year with an extension to bolster his recruiting but not hanging us with a more expensive buyout than what it would be without the extension.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
IMO these players are very good athletes which showed up ok in hi school. I've been saying this and that is our players do not have basketball high IQ's; which a very good team must have in most of the players! Even one of tonight's announcers said after a play that that was low IQ!!!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Outside shooting would be nice to have, but we lost this game on dumb turnovers and giving up easy baskets with dumb defense. Let midget Clark beat you if he can (spoiler alert: he can’t beat you) but for goodness sake don’t double team him and leave a 7 footer open under the basket for a dunk. That’s just stupid. We weren’t ready for the way they hedge and double team on ball screens at the top of the key. That caused our guards and wings a lot of trouble. Seems like we should have been coached up a little better on that since it’s what uva does.

I agree with most of what you said but I think your really not giving UVA enough credit for their defense. It's easy to say that we know that's what they do so we should coach them up as if it were simple. Every team pretty much knows what UVA does. They still have one of the best defenses in the country year in year out. Knowing what they are going to do doesn't really change how hard it is to address what they do. We actually did adjust to it by going away from the high ball pick by our guards and it led to lower TOs and a better offensive second half in general.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well I hope today has convinced the staff to get Cole more minutes. Dude is selfless, busts his *** on O and D, and makes the smart plays.

Bruh gets ridiculously limited minutes and still is a pass first guy, but also scraps for rebounds, balls on ground, defense and hustle plays behind the ball. He also had a sick give and go with Banks where he showed he understood what UVA was going on D.

Sure hope we see him get more minutes. Frankly Usher has looked uncontrolled and ineffective during most of his minutes so he could give up some time. Banks as well has looked gassed and confused at times so I’d like to see him pick up to 15-20 minutes a game while stealing from Banks or Usher.

Also, someone needs to tell Moses he’ll be running sprints till he pukes all week if he puts up a three. Whoever passes him the ball outside the perimeter should join him too. It isn’t his game, ever-still-won’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bos

Helluva Engineer
Not much you can say about it. This team is experienced and should win more games, but it's just not happening. Pastners best team yet and it's pathetic that they are this bad.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not much you can say about it. This team is experienced and should win more games, but it's just not happening. Pastners best team yet and it's pathetic that they are this bad.

I mean, it kinda is what it is at this point. Sadly.

When people talked about the whole get old/stay old thing, they used UVA as the supposed model.

Well, I thought, shiii, even when UVA had low talent, they still played a certain way. Disciplined, organized, etc. Then, as their talent increased, so did their wins.

Have we ever consistently played in a manner that suggests we'll see a similar resurgence as our talent level increases?

That's the question that I struggle with as I try to remain supportive.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
How did Parham forget how to shoot a 3 pointer? Dude made 10 in Rupp arena. It can't be that much different and yet his shots are ugly. Like his play otherwise but he was supposed to be the mercenary sniper we needed.

Deleted member 2897

Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.
Well, we can’t fire him without funds, but we damn sure better not go renew his contract for any length of time until he takes us to the tournament. And even then I’d give a very short leash. Gotta let this thing play out at this point, but I’m just not very confident in his ability to put our players in the best position on the offensive side of the court. This team has enough talent to be able to score, yet we go through periods where we look like some of the late Hewitt teams (at least we can inbound though...). Devoe needs to be spotlighted more...dude is the best scorer on the team and he had only attempted one shot for the game at one point in the second half.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

LOL.

You really, really might want to update your reading glass prescription.

I clearly put question marks at the end of every point because IDK. I was asking about specific points that many other posters had made over the course of this post and others during the season.

I never once, and have actually if it is an either / or situation, taken the position of not firing CJP.

You may want to address those posters who specifically are calling for his dismissal.

But what you responded to me has nothing to do with what I posted in reality.

Deleted member 2897

You really, really might want to update your reading glass prescription.

I clearly put question marks at the end of every point because IDK. I was asking about specific points that many other posters had made over the course of this post and others during the season.

I never once, and have actually if it is an either / or situation, taken the position of not firing CJP.

You may want to address those posters who specifically are calling for his dismissal.

But what you responded to me has nothing to do with what I posted in reality.

It appears CJP is a lousy recruiter.”

I mean, sad trombone.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean, it kinda is what it is at this point. Sadly.

When people talked about the whole get old/stay old thing, they used UVA as the supposed model.

Well, I thought, shiii, even when UVA had low talent, they still played a certain way. Disciplined, organized, etc. Then, as their talent increased, so did their wins.

Have we ever consistently played in a manner that suggests we'll see a similar resurgence as our talent level increases?

That's the question that I struggle with as I try to remain supportive.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
On a positive note, at least we got a good air guitar performance and Elvis-like hip swivelling. Never mind that we were still down. Maybe next game we can get the condensed version of Freebird on the play list.