Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we had been able to take care of business during our out of conference stretch, I think we'd be feeling better (not great) about our conference play.

Rather than debating the relative strengths of individual players, it seems to me that we have a team of really solid role players. We have 7 or 8 guys who contribute well to an ACC team. If all of them are playing well, we can compete and win some against good/great opposition.

I think our biggest problem is we don't have "that guy" who can just make things happen when needed. Jose has a great handle but his outside shot is too inconsistent. Moses has been clutch around the basket but can't control the ball well to save his life. Usher gets out of control. Devoe seems to be lost sharing the court with Jose. Banks isn't aggressive enough and has next to no offense outside of a couple feet. All of them play their roles well, but nobody is go-to. Consistently great teams have more than one of these guys, and we have none.

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.

JacketBacker

Georgia Tech Fan
We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner?

I know you are a regular poster, and I appreciate your loyalty and consistency. I have to say that your point on turnovers and free throws might make sense if that was a one game outlier. They are not. Massive amounts of unforced turnovers and continued poor free throw shooting are staples of the Pastner regime (BTW - I’m on his side and want him to be wildly successful, but that doesn’t mean I’m not objective). This has gone on for his entire tenure at Tech. And these two issues, in particular, can be rectified by coaching. It just ain’t happening - and thats even more infuriating for someone who wants the guy to succeed. Fireable offenses? No. Part of a bigger picture of poor coaching? Indeed...unfortunately.

Deleted member 2897

I know you are a regular poster, and I appreciate your loyalty and consistency. I have to say that your point on turnovers and free throws might make sense if that was a one game outlier. They are not. Massive amounts of unforced turnovers and continued poor free throw shooting are staples of the Pastner regime (BTW - I’m on his side and want him to be wildly successful, but that doesn’t mean I’m not objective). This has gone on for his entire tenure at Tech. And these two issues, in particular, can be rectified by coaching. It just ain’t happening - and thats even more infuriating for someone who wants the guy to succeed. Fireable offenses? No. Part of a bigger picture of poor coaching? Indeed...unfortunately.

Thank you for your comments. And I admit to being...I dunno, ornery? Too rainbows and unicorns? I too want Pastner to succeed but he to be right on that knife edge right now. Sadly, if I were ADTS, I’d be putting out feelers to see what my coaching options were for sometime next year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for your comments. And I admit to being...I dunno, ornery? Too rainbows and unicorns? I too want Pastner to succeed but he to be right on that knife edge right now. Sadly, if I were ADTS, I’d be putting out feelers to see what my coaching options were for sometime next year.

id say your assessment is a fair one an one i agree with. i want him to be our coach k but....