Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
It's fully possible to be disappointed or criticizing and still add to the actual discussion and some posters do. But too many posters don't even try to have a discussion, and it isn't just one post for them. It's everyone they make. And yes, the board would be better off without those posters.

Yeah I know what you mean, there are a few that post the same things over and over in every thread. I don't think that's what I was doing with my post, I just didn't understand some fans being satisfied with what we're seeing. But to each their own.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The 3 game stretch of UNC, Duke, and BC gives me hope and a desire to see at least what next year brings with more offense from a 7 footer, hopefully a 3 point shooter with ice in his veins will emerge from either Sjolund, Price, or Maxwell as my main candidates at this stage, and a resurgence from Moore after his sophomore slump. Not to mention a contribution from Meka. Pastner was given a 5 year contract and I think he deserves the full 5 years, but as unitedly the last couple of games do puzzle me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Turns out unc is the worst team in the ACC and we benefitted from a 13 minute 0-15 scoring drought to win that game. We also allowed brooks to have a career night and score 35 points. BC is also not good. Duke we could have should have won but we collapsed in the last 5 minutes of a close game, just like ND and uva.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Have we ever consistently played in a manner that suggests we'll see a similar resurgence as our talent level increases?

That's the question that I struggle with as I try to remain supportive.

To the level of 4#1 seeds in 6 years? No. But that's also an extreme case and Bennett has done a masterful job. A coach can be very successful and not reach that level. I also think we should be looking for getting to the NCAAT consistently before we shoot for that level. The coach who can get us back to consistently making the NCAAT might not be the same guy to get us to where we ultimately want to be, but he's the coach we need right now.

And imo we're pretty much at that point. Since we've returned from Hawaii we've lost 2 competitive games against teams with superior talent, and lost two games against similarly talented teams when we had chances to win late. Improving the talent level, especially of the bench, would probably go a long way in winning those games and in general if we can be ~.500 in ACC play that will get us to the NCAAT many years. Now, that turns the question of whether Pastner can improve the talent level here. The 2020 class is a step in the right direction, especially if we can find a way to land Soto as well, that should help the depth issues next year (along with the return of Sjolund), but he'll need a high impact 2021 class to cover for the losses we'll face then. But to the ultimate goal of pushing further in the NCAAT or competing for ACC championships, he, or whoever is the coach, will have to prove to be able to get more out of the players than we currently are. The thing about that though is the coaches who get the most out of lower talent aren't always the same as the coaches who get the most out of elite talent although that is really a very long term consideration.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
It's fully possible to be disappointed or criticizing and still add to the actual discussion and some posters do. But too many posters don't even try to have a discussion, and it isn't just one post for them. It's everyone they make. And yes, the board would be better off without those posters.

you need to practice what you preach buckoo.... or is it right fighter!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Turns out unc is the worst team in the ACC and we benefitted from a 13 minute 0-15 scoring drought to win that game. We also allowed brooks to have a career night and score 35 points. BC is also not good. Duke we could have should have won but we collapsed in the last 5 minutes of a close game, just like ND and uva.
I don't care how many points an opposing player scores as long as we dominate the whole game. We played well against UNC regardless of your opinion which is pretty weak.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care how many points an opposing player scores as long as we dominate the whole game. We played well against UNC regardless of your opinion which is pretty weak.

I don’t think we dominated an opponent when we gave up 56 points in a half and let one guy score 35 points. We played about even in every statistical category except shooting percentage because they missed 15 shots in a row to start the game, but I’m not trying to argue about your opinion of 1 game. I’m glad we won the game, but I think it’s telling that our best win of the season so far is against what appears to be the worst team in the conference. They are after all the only other team with a losing record. It doesn’t really help to point to a victory over the worst team in the conference as an example of playing good basketball. That should be the expected outcome unless our team is also terrible. Through 60% of the season we have basically no quality wins, losses in almost every game of consequence plus several games that are supposedly of no consequence (e.g. uga), and a bunch of moral victories. I just don’t think we are on the verge of being a tourney team. I think we were basically out of it before conference play even started because if we finished .500 in conference play, which is looking unlikely at this point, we still would have had only 16 wins without the Acc tourney. We’re looking like a bottom tier Acc team again. I think, but I’m not sure, that our talent level has finally risen above that level, so I’m left thinking that it is probably coaching that is holding us back. This is just my disappointed opinion of the status of the team at this point in the season. Call it weak if you want.

Deleted member 2897

"Vile trash" lol a little dramatic there buddy. I'm just being realistic, we'd have to lose only about 2 or 3 games the rest of the way for the season to mean anything.

If everyone who is disappointed with how this season has gone stopped posting, it would just be you and 3 other guys left. That's how many fans are going to be showing up to the games too if they can't win one at home.

hey the season is over, why are you still posting?

Let’s come back in about nine months and see if anything has changed?

Deleted member 2897

I don’t think we dominated an opponent when we gave up 56 points in a half and let one guy score 35 points. We played about even in every statistical category except shooting percentage because they missed 15 shots in a row to start the game, but I’m not trying to argue about your opinion of 1 game. I’m glad we won the game, but I think it’s telling that our best win of the season so far is against what appears to be the worst team in the conference. They are after all the only other team with a losing record. It doesn’t really help to point to a victory over the worst team in the conference as an example of playing good basketball. That should be the expected outcome unless our team is also terrible. Through 60% of the season we have basically no quality wins, losses in almost every game of consequence plus several games that are supposedly of no consequence (e.g. uga), and a bunch of moral victories. I just don’t think we are on the verge of being a tourney team. I think we were basically out of it before conference play even started because if we finished .500 in conference play, which is looking unlikely at this point, we still would have had only 16 wins without the Acc tourney. We’re looking like a bottom tier Acc team again. I think, but I’m not sure, that our talent level has finally risen above that level, so I’m left thinking that it is probably coaching that is holding us back. This is just my disappointed opinion of the status of the team at this point in the season. Call it weak if you want.

So sad. We gave a ton of minutes to bench players that game. Sometimes I wonder what board I’m on.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
So sad. We gave a ton of minutes to bench players that game. Sometimes I wonder what board I’m on.
What do you mean? Would you like for me to concede that we dominated unc? Ok, fine, we totally dominated unc, the last place, worst team in the conference, and the only other team in conference with a losing record. I don’t think my view of the unc game changes much. This season has been disappointing so far.

On another note, since you brought up playing bench players in the unc game, maybe that wasn’t a coincidence that we won that game. Maybe someone should point that out to cjp and suggest we try that again every now and then, maybe even when we’re not winning by 24 points.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Dude, we’re 8-10 and 3-5. That’s just weak, not weak reasoning.

Yep does Pastner not realize how pathetic this looks when he says it’s his best team and yet they can’t beat an ACC team that is at full strength? I also strongly believe his first team here was better, as that team had an NBA caliber player.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan

One of the most disappointing aspects of this season comes down to the fact that this is CJP's most experienced group of players and was supposed to be a significant improvement from last season's team. Yet we still make awful, inopportune and unforced turnovers on a regular basis. We still look like we don't really have a gameplan in the final minutes of games. Moses looks like a totally different player and the staff deserves credit for his development. But how come Usher hasn't been put in a position to succeed? Khalid? Put him on the back of a milk carton bc he's missing. Somehow, we have to get them involved. We can't just use a 6 man rotation. That's poor coaching.

Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.

4 top 125? I got Banks, Devoe and Usher. Who’s the fourth currently on the roster? Our illustrious 120 rated national 2019 class probably isn’t adding to this. If we just wanted moral victories we should have kept Gregory and saved some money to pony up for a real coach.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Pastner will probably get at least one more year. That will make or break his stay at GT. I would like to see at least some changes on his staff this year but that will be difficult since it will be hard to get quality assistants who want at least a little stability. There is enough talent on this team to win more than what has been shown.
Based off the finances alone, he’s probably here another year regardless. If things continue as they are for the remainder of this season and he’s given another year, he HAS to have some turnover on the assistants if he has any hope of being here past next year. Got to have an assistant that can bring new ideas on the offensive end. JMO

Deleted member 2897

4 top 125? I got Banks, Devoe and Usher. Who’s the fourth currently on the roster? Our illustrious 120 rated national 2019 class probably isn’t adding to this. If we just wanted moral victories we should have kept Gregory and saved some money to pony up for a real coach.

Probably Alvarado. Haven’t looked in awhile And Sabo next year replaces Banks so yea we’ll have it again next year. Losing sucks. Barely losing is frustrating. But with the full roster we’re playing good basketball. The best I’ve seen under Pastner. You have to start playing better to win games.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We need to let the post season ban stand this year and not worry about appealing...if we don’t, then the GTAA is stupid. Go after the scholarship limits, etc.