Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.
You gotta stop the moral victory angle. This UVA team is not the same team that won the Natty last year. They came in on a 3 game losing streak. This was suppose to be the year we “turn a corner” but here we are under .500 and headed to the bottom half of a down ACC.

Deleted member 2897

You gotta stop the moral victory angle. This UVA team is not the same team that won the Natty last year. They came in on a 3 game losing streak. This was suppose to be the year we “turn a corner” but here we are under .500 and headed to the bottom half of a down ACC.

Well they’re what, 12-5 and ranked? The point is they are a good team and we almost beat them. Virginia won’t win the national championship this year or even be in contention for it, but they are a legitimately good team. We were tied with Duke with a couple minutes left. To me, it’s important and meaningful that we’re playing the best quality basketball in years. It would be nice if we didn’t go 3/9 from FT and win the game, but what can we do. I’m just happy we’re playing good basketball game in and game out and hope it continues.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I know about basketball is one team wins and one team loses.

So it is from that standpoint I ask -

1. it appears CJP is a lousy recruiter, so what team would take any of our players in transfer?

2. We screwed up the Hewitt contract which hurt us in hiring his replacement, which forced us financially to hire someone no better than hewitt’s replacement?

3. Due to number 2 above, we want to fire CJP with less financial capability to hire someone competent , than what we had when we hired hewitt’s replacement?

4. And what evidence do we have that anyone at GT is in the least bit competent to make a better hire, that we can afford (from a payout & new salary standpoint) than what we have now?
I will respond to #4. Check out the hire that was made for the Women's Basketball Team and how they are now playing. TStan did that. Maybe he is competent is making coaching hires.....certainly than the rest of us (combined..LOL)

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Well they’re what, 12-5 and ranked? The point is they are a good team and we almost beat them. Virginia won’t win the national championship this year or even be in contention for it, but they are a legitimately good team. We were tied with Duke with a couple minutes left. To me, it’s important and meaningful that we’re playing the best quality basketball in years. It would be nice if we didn’t go 3/9 from FT and win the game, but what can we do. I’m just happy we’re playing good basketball game in and game out and hope it continues.

No they're not ranked. How some people are able to get moral victories out of the last two games is amazing to me. They were must wins, and now the season is over.

But at least we played them close!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Loser attitude

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How did Parham forget how to shoot a 3 pointer? Dude made 10 in Rupp arena. It can't be that much different and yet his shots are ugly. Like his play otherwise but he was supposed to be the mercenary sniper we needed.
I have begun to think we all made too much out of one hot shooting night against UK as his shooting skill. He may have just had that one big night that built a reputation. So far he is a decent player but nothing special.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Fake Boos. We have the most highly rated players we’ve had in the last decade, and another good class coming in. We have 4 top 125 guys on our roster right now. We just lost to the national champions by 5 points and you want to fire the coach? We had like 18 turnovers and were 3/9 from FT and fire Pastner? We also nearly beat Notre Dame and Duke. We’ve shot > 50% from the field in something like 5 of the last 6 games.

LOL.
Good basketball translates to wins at some point, yet us and last place unc are the only teams in the ACC with a losing record. 13 turnovers in one half of basketball is not good basketball. Leaving a 7 footer open under the basket to go and help guard a 5-6 midget point guard who never even shoots the ball is not good basketball.

Deleted member 2897

No they're not ranked. How some people are able to get moral victories out of the last two games is amazing to me. They were must wins, and now the season is over.

But at least we played them close!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Loser attitude

How supposed fans can say the season is over and talk vile trash to other fans is beyond me. On the bright side, since the season is over, we won’t have to worry about hearing from you anymore.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I have begun to think we all made too much out of one hot shooting night against UK as his shooting skill. He may have just had that one big night that built a reputation. So far he is a decent player but nothing special.
I think he led his crappy conference in scoring with over 20 points per game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We tried to force him too be a PG instead of setting him up for open looks with screens and plays. Coaching, my friend, coaching....

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

LOL.
Who are these 4 top 125 recruits you’re always bragging about for Pastner? Devoe, Banks, Usher... ?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
How supposed fans can say the season is over and talk vile trash to other fans is beyond me. On the bright side, since the season is over, we won’t have to worry about hearing from you anymore.

"Vile trash" lol a little dramatic there buddy. I'm just being realistic, we'd have to lose only about 2 or 3 games the rest of the way for the season to mean anything.

If everyone who is disappointed with how this season has gone stopped posting, it would just be you and 3 other guys left. That's how many fans are going to be showing up to the games too if they can't win one at home.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pastner will probably get at least one more year. That will make or break his stay at GT. I would like to see at least some changes on his staff this year but that will be difficult since it will be hard to get quality assistants who want at least a little stability. There is enough talent on this team to win more than what has been shown.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Pastner will probably get at least one more year. That will make or break his stay at GT. I would like to see at least some changes on his staff this year but that will be difficult since it will be hard to get quality assistants who want at least a little stability. There is enough talent on this team to win more than what has been shown.
This year is his make or break. And it’s already broken

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If everyone who is disappointed with how this season has gone stopped posting, it would just be you and 3 other guys left.

It's fully possible to be disappointed or criticizing and still add to the actual discussion and some posters do. But too many posters don't even try to have a discussion, and it isn't just one post for them. It's everyone they make. And yes, the board would be better off without those posters.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On a positive note, at least we got a good air guitar performance and Elvis-like hip swivelling. Never mind that we were still down. Maybe next game we can get the condensed version of Freebird on the play list.

Was the ref telling him to stop doing that? I saw the ref scolding him during one stoppage.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Have we ever consistently played in a manner that suggests we'll see a similar resurgence as our talent level increases?

That's the question that I struggle with as I try to remain supportive.
The 3 game stretch of UNC, Duke, and BC gives me hope and a desire to see at least what next year brings with more offense from a 7 footer, hopefully a 3 point shooter with ice in his veins will emerge from either Sjolund, Price, or Maxwell as my main candidates at this stage, and a resurgence from Moore after his sophomore slump. Not to mention a contribution from Meka. Pastner was given a 5 year contract and I think he deserves the full 5 years, but as unitedly the last couple of games do puzzle me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
The 3 game stretch of UNC, Duke, and BC gives me hope and a desire to see at least what next year brings with more offense from a 7 footer, hopefully a 3 point shooter with ice in his veins will emerge from either Sjolund, Price, or Maxwell as my main candidates at this stage, and a resurgence from Moore after his sophomore slump. Not to mention a contribution from Meka. Pastner was given a 5 year contract and I think he deserves the full 5 years, but as unitedly the last couple of games do puzzle me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Do you not realize how terrible they will be next year if there’s a postseason ban? Alvarado and Wright will be playing elsewhere.