Game Thread - UVA, 1/18/2020

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Well they’re what, 12-5 and ranked? The point is they are a good team and we almost beat them. Virginia won’t win the national championship this year or even be in contention for it, but they are a legitimately good team. We were tied with Duke with a couple minutes left. To me, it’s important and meaningful that we’re playing the best quality basketball in years. It would be nice if we didn’t go 3/9 from FT and win the game, but what can we do. I’m just happy we’re playing good basketball game in and game out and hope it continues.
Uva is not good, the only tourney I see them making is the nit.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else see a problem with our HC saying that we are a great team "except for the turnovers" ... Huh ???
I'm concerned that Pastner is losing (has lost) his mind.
I believe these last two losses at home are the dagger for 2020 !

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
but for a few awful post game interviews id still be fully in cjp corner. i just didnt care for his demeanor (s) after an embarrassing loss(es) at home.

been a gt fan since dm and bc. never ever ever ever seen bobby grin an joke after a loss let alone a blow out loss at home to a mediocre team. as a matter of fact....

i still hold out for hope. coach is the youngest coach in the acc by a lot. the uva coach is 8 years older. point being i think cjp is a great d coach. imo we have issues with offense starting with turnovers and shooting.

heres hoping our recruiting continues to improve and coach realizes he needs a guy who is offensive minded. i still have to believe that the off the court problems coach has had has effected his coaching. id be a mental wreck

as far as a few of you trying to stifle some of the negative nancies. its better to have bad fans than no fans at all. i remember the bags. do you?

go jackets

Probably Alvarado. Haven’t looked in awhile And Sabo next year replaces Banks so yea we’ll have it again next year. Losing sucks. Barely losing is frustrating. But with the full roster we’re playing good basketball. The best I’ve seen under Pastner. You have to start playing better to win games.

https://247sports.com/player/jose-alvarado-85143/

No. Jose was not a top 125 player. He is a gritty guy and a great floor general, but he is not an elite recruit. However, I commend him for giving this program everything he has while on the court. Also, Usher has not produced close to a top 125 player this year which may not be his fault. The relationship with Pastner looks contentious at best, and he is shooting far worse that he did at USC possibly due to him not being utilized properly. My point is that we have only recruited 2 top 125 player during Pastner's tenure, and the other top 125 players are transfers. Relying so heavily on transfers may work during the transition to a new coach, but it makes you dependent in the long run. Pastner is on year four, so he should be consistently winning on the recruiting trail. We were sold on how good of a recruiter he was at Memphis, but the truth is Memphis tends to recruit itself. There is too much talent in Georgia that we are unable to tap into.

Deleted member 2897

https://247sports.com/player/jose-alvarado-85143/

No. Jose was not a top 125 player. He is a gritty guy and a great floor general, but he is not an elite recruit. However, I commend him for giving this program everything he has while on the court. Also, Usher has not produced close to a top 125 player this year which may not be his fault. The relationship with Pastner looks contentious at best, and he is shooting far worse that he did at USC possibly due to him not being utilized properly. My point is that we have only recruited 2 top 125 player during Pastner's tenure, and the other top 125 players are transfers. Relying so heavily on transfers may work during the transition to a new coach, but it makes you dependent in the long run. Pastner is on year four, so he should be consistently winning on the recruiting trail. We were sold on how good of a recruiter he was at Memphis, but the truth is Memphis tends to recruit itself. There is too much talent in Georgia that we are unable to tap into.

Sorry, #130, not #125. LOL
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/jose-alvarado-1138

Deleted member 2897

Personally, I think 247 composite is more accurate as it averages rankings from multiple recruiting sites.

247 is the only service who didn’t have Alvarado as a 4-star, so their composite ranking is wacky...they list him as about the same in state ranking and position ranking nationally as the others. Makes no sense.

Reminds me of Antoneous Clayton. 247 lists him as 27th nationally, yet not a 5-star. Huh?

247 is the only service who didn’t have Alvarado as a 4-star, so their composite ranking is wacky...they list him as about the same in state ranking and position ranking nationally as the others. Makes no sense.

Reminds me of Antoneous Clayton. 247 lists him as 27th nationally, yet not a 5-star. Huh?

This is a basketball forum. Antoneous Clayton is a football player therefore irrelevant. 247 composite averages rankings from different recruiting services. The real question is Alvarado an elite recruit. Despite liking what he brings to the program, he isn't an elite recruit.

Deleted member 2897

This is a basketball forum. Antoneous Clayton is a football player therefore irrelevant. 247 composite averages rankings from different recruiting services. The real question is Alvarado an elite recruit. Despite liking what he brings to the program, he isn't an elite recruit.

It was an illustration to the discrepancies between ratings agencies. Alvarado’s rating speaks for itself. When you average trash, you get trash. 247 is the only agency who didn’t rank Alvarado a 4-star despite ranking him at his position the same. Makes no sense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t follow recruiting rankings that closely but I don’t think Jose was an elite recruit. However, at this point I don’t care what kind of recruit he was. I know the kid is a stud, and he is the leader and the heart and soul of this program. I support him and I hope the team finds success for his sake. He seems to take the losses pretty hard. He also seems to be completely bought into Georgia Tech. I hope it stays that way. I love how he always says “Georgia Tech basketball” in his interviews.

I don’t follow recruiting rankings that closely but I don’t think Jose was an elite recruit. However, at this point I don’t care what kind of recruit he was. I know the kid is a stud, and he is the leader and the heart and soul of this program. I support him and I hope the team finds success for his sake. He seems to take the losses pretty hard. He also seems to be completely bought into Georgia Tech. I hope it stays that way. I love how he always says “Georgia Tech basketball” in his interviews.

Again, I said he is a great player and loves what he does for the program like I said in my previous post.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

This is a silly argument. What matters is that Jose is a legitimate ACC player. We need more of those. Whether they make some arbitrary line in some flawed ranking system is moot.

Choosing to recruit and sign Jose is one of the better things Pastner has done.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a silly argument. What matters is that Jose is a legitimate ACC player. We need more of those. Whether they make some arbitrary line in some flawed ranking system is moot.

Is it really a silly argument? Jose is a great player regardless of his recruiting ranking so I'm not going to touch that.

The bottom line is this program should be able to get some elite players per the rankings (eg Shumpert, MGH, Robert Carter Jr., Devoe, etc.). We should never has a recruiting class ranked at 120. That is pathetic for any Power 5 program and is unacceptable. A big reason we are struggling this year is a lack of depth. Credit to the staff for developing guys like Moses but let's be real about the rankings and why they do matter in the grand scheme of things

Again, this is not an attack Jose post. This argument centers around the importance of recruiting.

Again, this isn't a bash Jose post. It is based on the importance of recruiting and depth on the team. Our lineup is too short and exhausts our players. Again, the lack of top 125 talent given the talent coming out of Georgia is a real issue.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, this is not an attack Jose post. This argument centers around the importance of recruiting.

Again, this isn't a bash Jose post. It is based on the importance of recruiting and depth on the team. Our lineup is too short and exhausts our players. Again, the lack of top 125 talent given the talent coming out of Georgia is a real issue.

I think there is enough talent on this team to make the tournament. I don't think we have a coherent approach on offense and don't play enough guys. Our rotations are also erratic.

Pastner's contract is set up to give him 5 years. Given that reality and the fact he did a good job his first year with a patchwork of players I believe he will get 5 years. I don't believe saying bad, bad, bad about everything in the program will change anything.

I'd expect some staff changes after this season. What we are doing now strategically is not working. I thought his first year the coaching was solid. I think the reasons why have mostly left.

I think there is enough talent on this team to make the tournament. I don't think we have a coherent approach on offense and don't play enough guys. Our rotations are also erratic.

Pastner's contract is set up to give him 5 years. Given that reality and the fact he did a good job his first year with a patchwork of players I believe he will get 5 years. I don't believe saying bad, bad, bad about everything in the program will change anything.

I'd expect some staff changes after this season. What we are doing now strategically is not working. I thought his first year the coaching was solid. I think the reasons why have mostly left.

So when does Pastner's time run out? I agree this team is talented enough to make the tournament. How do we make the rotations deeper? Players like Jose, James, and Devoe battle almost every game without rest. That just isn't a formula for success. If one goes down, we are in trouble. Honestly, it's not fair to the players, and they aren't able to really put their best tape out there. Tired legs lead to sloppy play including all the turnovers we have seen. I love the effort the players play with every night, and I don't understand why other players are not given more of a chance to play. Regardless of what happens, I will always support this team. I just want the players and team to be the best it can be.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree recruiting needs to improve big time. It looks like we are set to see a step in the right direction next season.

On the issue of the depth of the bench, I think the current problem is a Pastner problem as much or more than a talent problem. I don't think CJP will go deeper than 7 on a regular basis no matter who he has on the bench. Cole and Moore have each started more than 10 games, and yet they can barely sniff the court right now. I would prefer to see Parham, Cole, Moore, and Price all getting some time off the bench pretty much night in and night out, maybe even Phillips.