Game Thread - Bethune Cookman, 12/1/2019

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Parham is not used to doing what Jose does. He is a scorer. Same as DeVoe. We are seeing you can't just drop either one of them into Jose's role in the system we run with Jose. Both are skilled but not pure PGs

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Parham is not used to doing what Jose does. He is a scorer. Same as DeVoe. We are seeing you can't just drop either one of them into Jose's role in the system we run with Jose. Both are skilled but not pure PGs

That and no one else can make a deep ball. Even when we do run offense and Banks passes out of the double team to a wide open 3, it is missed. We gotta get Jose back so that guys can settle into their roles and play ball.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry if I missed it, why was Banks on the bench the first half of the first half? No Alvarado, Usher, or Banks...we spot BC a 20-10 lead. Jeez.

Pastner said in post game interview with Andy Demetra that Banks did not start because of an internal team matter.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Just settling in after getting home from the game, getting the kids in bed, etc.

This game should not have been that close... whew, we escaped Pastner's annual choke job, just barely. Hopefully, we got that out of our system for the season. Not quite as bad as the uga game, but it looked to me like our guys were lacking focus. In the uga game, we got out hustled big time on 50/50 balls and stuff. Tonight, we just did not look crisp, like we were not focused. Maybe it was the classic look ahead game against a lesser opponent. I don't know. I also saw our guys arguing with each other over missed assignments several times, like they were getting frustrated with each other.

Credit Devoe. He carried us on his back again, despite the dumb lob pass at the end and missing some free throws. He's leading the ACC in scoring, which is a pleasant surprise.

The Pope kid (#10) on their team was a rebounding machine. I think he is legit, but we should not have let him pull down 19 boards (11 offensive).

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Devoe is a B-A-L-L-E-R.

The other post while Banks is in, needs to do a better job on help defense. James is going to go for the block 10 out of 10 times and we need someone there to rotate and put a body on James's man. Way too many easy putbacks or offensive rebounds.

Price was reckless again with the ball, and the jump shot looks good but just isnt falling yet.

Bubba looked more agressive. Me gusta.

And Evan Cole yaaaaam! That is all.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I love Mike but he is not a PG. But by necessity, he is having to try to fill that role which makes him make some bad decisions at times. IIWII until Jose' is able to play and Usher becomes eligible. The things that bother me most are turnovers, rebounds, and FT shooting. I didn't have a chance to watch the game, but the stats indicate we showed some improvement on turnovers. Rebounding and FT shooting also must improve. I have heard Pastner comment that they make a lot of FT's in practise, but come game time their percentage goes way down. It's like the problem most golfers have taking their driving range swing to the tee box. I think it is all mental and maybe a sports psychologist could help on this. I was so hopeful after the NC State game when Banks made both FT's to win the game that we had turned the corner on FT's. Regarding rebounding, I have no idea why we don't rebound better than we do.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Devoe is a B-A-L-L-E-R.

The other post while Banks is in, needs to do a better job on help defense. James is going to go for the block 10 out of 10 times and we need someone there to rotate and put a body on James's man. Way too many easy putbacks or offensive rebounds.

Price was reckless again with the ball, and the jump shot looks good but just isnt falling yet.

Bubba looked more agressive. Me gusta.

And Evan Cole yaaaaam! That is all.

These were most of my feelings from the game as well. A couple of other comments for each:

We are one-dimensional at this point with Devoe the only scorer - and as said elsewhere, this one-on-one style won't likely hold up against stiffer competition.

I did notice how many times Banks went for the block (it probably was 10 out of 10, maybe it was really more like 95% of the time) and that's leaving the middle wide open. There HAS to be a shift by Cole/Wright to fill that gap - I didn't really get a chance to see if BC was purposefully pulling them out on those plays I just noticed how their guy (Pope?) was usually alone or blocked us out effectively.

Did not even know Price was in the game.

Bubba may have been a little more aggressive, but results still not there. He just looks small out there, like he can't see over/around the defender to get a pass inside. As others have said, with Alvarado back, hopefully that frees him up on the three after a slash drive and dish back out for more open 3's.

The Cole dunk was nice, but otherwise, he just isn't progressing in the way I thought he would looking at him as a freshman. You see flashes (like the rest of the team) but I really thought he would be high-level by this year.

One thing on Banks, however, his hands were like stone on a number of passes where he lost control. Maybe they were hurting from swatting so many shots.

And, of course, this is coming from the couch potato who hasn't picked up a ball in 10 years complaining about what an 18-20 year old is doing. Really just glad for the win and ready for Jose and Usher to bring in some better ball.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I love Mike but he is not a PG. But by necessity, he is having to try to fill that role which makes him make some bad decisions at times. IIWII until Jose' is able to play and Usher becomes eligible. The things that bother me most are turnovers, rebounds, and FT shooting. I didn't have a chance to watch the game, but the stats indicate we showed some improvement on turnovers. Rebounding and FT shooting also must improve. I have heard Pastner comment that they make a lot of FT's in practise, but come game time their percentage goes way down. It's like the problem most golfers have taking their driving range swing to the tee box. I think it is all mental and maybe a sports psychologist could help on this. I was so hopeful after the NC State game when Banks made both FT's to win the game that we had turned the corner on FT's. Regarding rebounding, I have no idea why we don't rebound better than we do.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
B,
Like your thoughts. I'll comment on them.
FTs- it is up to the COACH to make the practice like a game. It helps to start by RECRUITing a guy who has a decent FT%. Few get that much better from hi school.Then in practice make it tough with pressure -.
like a game
REBs--like another said, Banks goes up after every shot.We have to have guys "back-fill" the space behind him putting a body on guys.Got to hustle more.Also-Cole is too slow and the rest after Moses are too small or light. Also--the zone allows the other team to infiltrate to the boards on shots since no one has exact man block-out responsibility.
Hard to believe we have the #1 shot-blocker in COUNTRY and #1 scorer in ACC and almost lose to a nobody team AT HOME. Tells me a lot about the coaching.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain why Moore is getting so many minutes?
In 39 mins 7 points on 2-6 shooting and 1 rebound. There is no way Pastner and staff believe that Sjolund couldn’t come in right now and get half of those mins and produce.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I did notice how many times Banks went for the block (it probably was 10 out of 10, maybe it was really more like 95% of the time) and that's leaving the middle wide open. There HAS to be a shift by Cole/Wright to fill that gap - I didn't really get a chance to see if BC was purposefully pulling them out on those plays I just noticed how their guy (Pope?) was usually alone or blocked us out effectively.

Pretty sure Pope was Bank's man and he would follow Banks and just crash the week side. I swear there was at least one play where their guy just through up trash knowing that Pope would be on the other side if the shot could just get past Banks.

Anyways, it isn't always the same person's responsibility. In our 1-3-1 the "wings" of the zone should collapse down with penetration to basically a 2-3 and so the non playside wing is probably the one who should rotate down when Banks rotates over. Sometimes that might have been Cole or Wright, but others it probably should have been Moore. In man it's harder to talk in general but it seemed to be they would run a pick at the top of the key and then try to get a drive drawing over Banks and his man would crash the opposite boards. The only person really able to rotate would be the guard at the top of the key. I know at least one play that was Devoe, but that's a hard play to get to when you're also worried about defending a shooter. Realistically the rebounding issues were in part because of allowing too much penetration drawing Banks away.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When teams like BC are playing 4 or 5 out it makes the 4 guy for us have to really sluff off in order to be able to block out the center that Banks just left. UVA does a good job of this generally but their guards are outstanding at making a second rotation if the ball gets kicked to the 4 guy that our 4 just left (too many 4's in there).

Generally it is the guard that just got blown by that Banks is trying to help that has to go battle with the other center - or at least get in the way. I didn't watch all of it but there were a couple of times that both DeVoe and Bubba just stopped in the lane after their guy got by them and didn't go after Bank's man.

Easier in the zone where the back side wing knows that is their responsibility. Man takes a lot of work and dedication to get right.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In 39 mins 7 points on 2-6 shooting and 1 rebound. There is no way Pastner and staff believe that Sjolund couldn’t come in right now and get half of those mins and produce.

They are trying to redshirt Sjolund. In theory it makes sense to help. It would balance the classes and get some separation between him and Moore. Once Usher is here I don't see Sjolund getting many minutes, and if Jose were healthy we'd probably see more 3 guard sets to take some of the minutes as well. But it comes with a risk and we're seeing it with Moore having to play so much. Not sure what the best move is there because redshirtting him makes a lot of sense to me.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

You are looking solely at the offensive end - and on that end I agree with you. He needs to score. But on the defensive end he is our best on ball defender to stop penetration. DeVoe is OK on man D and Bubba is really not good at all. They are a big part of the reason Banks has so many blocks and the BC had 20 offensive rebounds. In man those guys aren't good at staying in front and Moore is the guy we put on their best penetrator.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to make excuses for the rebounding disparity, but what I saw was a lot of BC shots that were so errant that the ball bounced well out to the top of the key, and our bigs were naturally underneath. Second, the BC guys often just tipped the ball up court and hoped for the best since we were quite a bit longer. Maybe our guards should have been better rebounders in those situations, and I think that is one way we really miss Jose.

But the real rebounding issue, IMO, was a noticeable lack of energy, especially in the first half. It got better, but this team has little margin for error and lack of energy/intensity will simply lead to losses as the season progresses. I found it hard to watch at times.

All that said, we dodged a bullet last night.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
You are looking solely at the offensive end - and on that end I agree with you. He needs to score. But on the defensive end he is our best on ball defender to stop penetration. DeVoe is OK on man D and Bubba is really not good at all. They are a big part of the reason Banks has so many blocks and the BC had 20 offensive rebounds. In man those guys aren't good at staying in front and Moore is the guy we put on their best penetrator.
To that point, Moore is leading the ACC in steals

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
One thing on Banks, however, his hands were like stone on a number of passes where he lost control. Maybe they were hurting from swatting so many shots.

exactly my thought process too. when he bobbled two passes in a row i thought WTF. than it hit me. he was getting beat up by forearms from the shorter oinkers the other night. his arms probably take a beating causing him to be abit stiff in most games.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
exactly my thought process too. when he bobbled two passes in a row i thought WTF. than it hit me. he was getting beat up by forearms from the shorter oinkers the other night. his arms probably take a beating causing him to be abit stiff in most games.
I think Banks has a "hands" problem. He is not strong with the ball and has numerous rebounds or passes easily swatted out of his hands. I do not think it is damaged forearms but he needs to work on his hand strength in my opinion. I love the guy but this is an obvious weakness.