Game Thread - Bethune Cookman, 12/1/2019

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
This is factual. My initial response to yet another of his complaints was critical of both coaches & players.

It's not difficult to be a critic without the whininess, but THWG16 only knows how to whine without being critical.
And being critical is giving money right ? Lol

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And being critical is giving money right ? Lol

I literally expressed disappointment in both coaches & players without whining about it and you didn't even notice. It was the first thing I responded to your nonsense with tonight.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The good

Devoe continues his impressive start to the year 27 points on 11-16 shooting, 2-4 from 3
Moses played pretty well with 12 points and 11 rebs on 6-8 shooting.
Banks is a force down low. 8 blocks and several more alterations.
Defense ended up having a solid game holding them t o under 40% shooting overall.
A win is a win

The bad

Freethrows continue to suck.
Far to many wtf were they thinking plays.
Rebounding was terrible and there was little rotation.

Miscellaneous thoughts.

One of the more disappointing things to me is the lack of progression from Evan Cole from his freshman year. Feels like he's pretty much the same player as he was as a freshman.

We're quickly learning that while Bubba and Mike have the ball handling but not the mentality of a PG which is rather disappointing. There just isn't the instinct to go out, get the ball, and initiate the offense. Which leaves weird things like Moses Wright trying to initiate a two man game with Banks. On one hand it makes you say what the hell is Moses thinking. On the other hand who else is trying to initiate the offense most of the time? Both are good enough ball handlers to help take the pressure off of the PG to some degree but neither seem like they really want to run the offense themselves.

Price has some potential but I don't think he's ready to contribute much this year.

IMO the decision to redshirt Sjolund is hurting us. Moore is playing too much and we really could use the potential outside shot that he brings. I understand the logic from a developing Sjolund and balancing the classes aspect, and once Usher is back it might not be as big a deal, but at the moment it's hard to make do with only 9 scholarship players, especially since it looks like DD and Shembari aren't going to be able to contribute much.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Look guys I know I can be negative , I need to work on that , not trying to be a dbag , just saying GT athletics can & should be better than this , I think football is on the rise but basketball not so much , I know the academic rigors are probably different than 1990 , even at that I think it’s ridiculous. But the fact that your typical average Joe fan should be to blame is stupid & some of y’all seem to think its wrong to vent or want coaches gone , saying stuff like go root for uga cause they care about sports!! Every college that has athletics should care & if they don’t they should can them . GT has tradition in football & bball , our b-ball coach is in his 4th year & we’re getting outrexruited by uga & losing to them 5 yrs in row which is unacceptable , & trying to blame a fan is absurd

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Escaped...thought we were going to have another Grambling/Gardner Webb. Even without Jose, I’m discouraged.

Gotta give Bethune Cookman credit, they came in and played a hellva game. They never backed down and never went away. That said, this was definitely an escape job by us. We were totally looking ahead.

The lack of effort and focus nearly got us tonight, and the missed free throws continue to be a thorn in our side. We were in the double-bonus with 10+ minutes and couldn’t really take advantage. We gotta do better there.

While I thought we did a better job on overall TO numbers, we still had a few that were headscratchers! The one by Devoe at the end was just dumb. He’s better and smarter than that.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look guys I know I can be negative , I need to work on that , not trying to be a dbag , just saying GT athletics can & should be better than this , I think football is on the rise but basketball not so much , I know the academic rigors are probably different than 1990 , even at that I think it’s ridiculous. But the fact that your typical average Joe fan should be to blame is stupid & some of y’all seem to think its wrong to vent or want coaches gone , saying stuff like go root for uga cause they care about sports!! Every college that has athletics should care & if they don’t they should can them . GT has tradition in football & bball , our b-ball coach is in his 4th year & we’re getting outrexruited by uga & losing to them 5 yrs in row which is unacceptable , & trying to blame a fan is absurd

You’re not listening to what people are telling you. Here’s a simple assignment for you. Go and take a look at what UGA is paying Tom Crean and his staff, and then compare that against what our staff is receiving. They’re investing in their basketball because their athletic department is generating extreme amounts of revenue. That is due to the heavy amount of donations they receive..amongst other things. We do not have that for a variety of reasons.

The reason everyone keeps talking to you about donating is because we don’t have the money to a.) fire Pastner and pay yet another buyout or b.) hire another coach that is going to move the needle. It’s not hard to understand. As bad as you think it is, our team is more talented and much closer to being competitive than when Brian Gregory was at the end of his tenure.

When someone (you) keeps harping about the glory days (30 years ago) and doesn’t understand the semantics, it’s a bit frustrating.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The good

Devoe continues his impressive start to the year 27 points on 11-16 shooting, 2-4 from 3
Defense ended up having a solid game holding them t o under 40% shooting overall.
A win is a win

The bad

Miscellaneous thoughts.

One of the more disappointing things to me is the lack of progression from Evan Cole from his freshman year. Feels like he's pretty much the same player as he was as a freshman.

We're quickly learning that while Bubba and Mike have the ball handling but not the mentality of a PG which is rather disappointing. There just isn't the instinct to go out, get the ball, and initiate the offense. Which leaves weird things like Moses Wright trying to initiate a two man game with Banks. On one hand it makes you say what the hell is Moses thinking. On the other hand who else is trying to initiate the offense most of the time? Both are good enough ball handlers to help take the pressure off of the PG to some degree but neither seem like they really want to run the offense themselves.

Price has some potential but I don't think he's ready to contribute much this year.

IMO the decision to redshirt Sjolund is hurting us. Moore is playing too much and we really could use the potential outside shot that he brings. I understand the logic from a developing Sjolund and balancing the classes aspect, and once Usher is back it might not be as big a deal, but at the moment it's hard to make do with only 9 scholarship players, especially since it looks like DD and Shembari aren't going to be able to contribute much.
I appreciate the basketball talk..on a basketball thread in a basketball forum. Since I did not see much of the game, I am glad to see some thoughtful analysis.

The little I saw looked like we did not play very smart. I know that's hard to define, but it seemed like some of our passes were...dumb. There's a time to try to good pass and a time to not push it and we don't seem to make that judgement call all that well. That, plus we still lack any really good outside shooters besides Devoe. I thought when we got him that Parham might light it up from outside and relieve some of the defensive pressure on the big guys, but so far, his 3 point % seems like it must be around 10%.

Deleted member 2897

We shot 52% from free throws and left another free 5 points there.

Bethune Cookman got 20 offensive rebounds. TWENTY. Which resulted in 18 more shots than we took. It’s hard to beat ANYBODY if you give them EIGHTEEN more shots. Imagine starting a game giving a team that many shots while you sit on the bench.

All of this is proof to me of 2 things.
1) Alvarado makes this team go.
2) it’s ridiculous that without 1 player this is what we’re like. But IIWII.

Oh, and 1 more thing - we need Alvarado and Usher.

It’s getting really old that we seem to struggle with injuries on all our sports teams so much. Downright obnoxious. Hell, even baseball.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I appreciate the basketball talk..on a basketball thread in a basketball forum. Since I did not see much of the game, I am glad to see some thoughtful analysis.

The little I saw looked like we did not play very smart. I know that's hard to define, but it seemed like some of our passes were...dumb. There's a time to try to good pass and a time to not push it and we don't seem to make that judgement call all that well. That, plus we still lack any really good outside shooters besides Devoe. I thought when we got him that Parham might light it up from outside and relieve some of the defensive pressure on the big guys, but so far, his 3 point % seems like it must be around 10%.

He’s at 33% from 3, but it’s because he’s focused so much on trying to facilitate the offense that he’s not looking for his shot enough, and when he does get a look he hasn’t really been in rhythm.

Deleted member 2897

Sorry if I missed it, why was Banks on the bench the first half of the first half? No Alvarado, Usher, or Banks...we spot BC a 20-10 lead. Jeez.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

This is a game thread. Please try critiquing the teams performance in the game. Every game is not an excuse to bring up a referendum on the program.

If you and dtm want a pissing match about the program start your own damn thread about it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We won tonight because DeVoe basically went street ball and junked the "offense" to play one on one. One pick like the last play and then didn't give up the ball until he got a shot off. I know we are missing Jose but we shouldn't be reduced to the offense we are seeing just because he is gone. Bubba is trying to play a PG role but he ain't good at penetrating to start an offense and it has really screwed with his scoring mentality. As an aside he has no idea how to feed the post.

We have no real movement on offense to help anyone. I wanted to break the TV when we ran the half assed weave out front and had a pass bounce off of Moore's hands for an over and back. We run it so half assed it hurts anything we do after it.

DeVoe has offensive skills. Not blow by ability but skills. Parham supposedly had a scorer's mentality. Banks can finish if he gets the ball close to the basket. That should be enough to build around - but we have no clue at the moment. This has to change or this year will get ugly when we see ACC teams.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I missed it, why was Banks on the bench the first half of the first half? No Alvarado, Usher, or Banks...we spot BC a 20-10 lead. Jeez.

The announcers said something about it being a disciplinary thing. Didn't go into more depth than that.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
The good
I think the decision to redshirt Sjolund was a post-Usher move. When he and Jose are in everyone gets bumped 2 down in the rotation and a lot of minutes get eaten. I’m thinking Moore & Parham off the bench, Cole only if Moses is having a bad one or foul issues, and probably very rarely Price. I agree it would have been great to see if Sjolund could have bombed a couple tonight, but likely a moot point in a couple of weeks, don’t ya think?
A win is a win

The bad

Miscellaneous thoughts.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He’s at 33% from 3, but it’s because he’s focused so much on trying to facilitate the offense that he’s not looking for his shot enough, and when he does get a look he hasn’t really been in rhythm.
I agree....it very much looks to me like the coaching staff wants to use him as a PG and not so much as a SG. I am just wondering if that's the best use of his talent?