Game Thread - Bethune Cookman, 12/1/2019

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to make excuses for the rebounding disparity, but what I saw was a lot of BC shots that were so errant that the ball bounced well out to the top of the key, and our bigs were naturally underneath. Second, the BC guys often just tipped the ball up court and hoped for the best since we were quite a bit longer. Maybe our guards should have been better rebounders in those situations, and I think that is one way we really miss Jose.

But the real rebounding issue, IMO, was a noticeable lack of energy, especially in the first half. It got better, but this team has little margin for error and lack of energy/intensity will simply lead to losses as the season progresses. I found it hard to watch at times.

All that said, we dodged a bullet last night.
I believe the wild misses were a strategy and not just lousy shots. The plan imho was to draw banks in and then throw it over his reach with the hopes that #10 would catch it on the back end.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope when we have full roster we see alot of Jose, Devoe, Bubba, Usher, Banks. Also think Sjouland could help.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I hope when we have full roster we see alot of Jose, Devoe, Bubba, Usher, Banks. Also think Sjouland could help.
We also need Moses/Cole to spell James, and Moore for defense. That would leave little time for Sjolund so it is probably better for him, and us, to RS to give him more time to become a better player.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
is that no 10? the guy that was always smiling?

Yep. That was him. I found the smiling irritating. Maybe that was his intent. Or maybe he just couldn't believe his good fortune in pulling down 19 boards and scoring 22 points.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why was it irritating? Wasn't trash talking that I could tell - he and Banks seemed to be going at each other in a good game. I thought he played well and simply took what we were giving him on the offensive boards.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It was kinda irratating to me too but if he was on.my team not so much. I do think he was enjoying the moment. He was smiling on the bench as well. I just think that is his personality. He sure had a great game against us.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i was also a bit irritated but i didnt see any trash talking so i figured... the guy was happy as f to be playing a game he loves and is good at. id love to have him on our team.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good points folks. I probably just found it irritating because he was kicking our team’s butt. He and Banks seemed to be going at each other in a good natured way. No animosity. Pope had a great game, as did Banks. Kudos to them both for having fun doing what they’re doing.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
couldnt watch but it sounds terrible

The game wasn't terrible at all. B-C played well, especially in the first half and the smiling Pope kid was legit. But we clamped down on defense in the second half, held them to 29% in the 2nd half. It was an exciting game, it was a come from behind win and it was contested until the end. I think that makes for fun viewing.

As fans we want perfection and we critique and break down every little thing we see. We tend to say, "If we do that against Duke..." or, "If we don't clean this up by Kentucky...." or, "How many games do we have to win to make the NCAAT?"

But that shouldn't detract us from enjoying a competitive and close basketball game. Most of our games so far have been really exciting games. Not perfect games, but entertaining games. We shot 52% from the field. We are shooting .455 for the season (against .350 for the opposition). We just need to get more attempts. The team is a work in progress. There is room to grow. it might happen. It might not. But no need to extrapolate one game to the next.

The biggest plus for me from the B-C game was that Parham started to look more comfortable as the lead guard. If Alvarado is going to be awhile, then this development is imperative. If he finds his game with extended minutes then the Alvarado injury could be a mixed blessing in the long run. Good move by Pastner to let Alvarado heal fully.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Pope averaged 12+ rebs per game last year and is again this year. Kid is relentless going to the boards and is hard to block out. Sort of Rodman-esque in that way

I thought his smile was great. No trash talk or other BS. Just looked like he was having a blast. I was jealous and wish I could play like him and have that much fun

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Way back in the day, I saw one other player smile like that on the court against Gt, it was Wayman Tisdale. I love to watch athletes that love to play. Pope could play for me any day.

GT11

GT Athlete
The game wasn't terrible at all. B-C played well, especially in the first half and the smiling Pope kid was legit. But we clamped down on defense in the second half, held them to 29% in the 2nd half. It was an exciting game, it was a come from behind win and it was contested until the end. I think that makes for fun viewing.

As fans we want perfection and we critique and break down every little thing we see. We tend to say, "If we do that against Duke..." or, "If we don't clean this up by Kentucky...." or, "How many games do we have to win to make the NCAAT?"

But that shouldn't detract us from enjoying a competitive and close basketball game. Most of our games so far have been really exciting games. Not perfect games, but entertaining games. We shot 52% from the field. We are shooting .455 for the season (against .350 for the opposition). We just need to get more attempts. The team is a work in progress. There is room to grow. it might happen. It might not. But no need to extrapolate one game to the next.

The biggest plus for me from the B-C game was that Parham started to look more comfortable as the lead guard. If Alvarado is going to be awhile, then this development is imperative. If he finds his game with extended minutes then the Alvarado injury could be a mixed blessing in the long run. Good move by Pastner to let Alvarado heal fully.
Very well stated

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep. That was him. I found the smiling irritating. Maybe that was his intent. Or maybe he just couldn't believe his good fortune in pulling down 19 boards and scoring 22 points.
That’s funny because I was thinking the same thing, but then I would ask myself, why is his smiling pissing me off so much. It was Jokerish almost. By the end of the game, I was thinking what others have said, this kid is a baller. I didn’t realize that he was pegged preseason player of the year in his conference until the post game interview with Coach Pastner.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game and to be honest BC just played pretty well to me. They made at least 5-10 really tough shots. We played good defense at times and they would just make a tough shot on us. Pope for them is really long and athletic and they just wanted it more on some of their offensive rebounds. Cole and Moses were getting out worked on the boards. Banks still has stone hands at times and has trouble grabbing the ball.

In the 2nd half, as some had stated they were just purposely driving and forcing banks to make a play so Pope could just clean up the backside rebound. We needed someone to block him out on the backside help but we weren’t doing it.

We really got to get price and Moore to get some more shots to fall. Their form is good but just nothing falling from 3 for them. The FT shooting is still a killer for us.