Game 2 Georgia State vs Georgia Tech Media

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Beginning to sound like colleges want to disguise who they are really starting in Game 1
I'd like to think it has more to do with having to drop a depth chart with a couple of days of practice left before the game. Without the ors I would think it might deincentivize (if that's a word) the guys that are still fighting for starting and backup roles with days left before the game.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
The worst part was one of our LB I think talking about how they overlooked BG cause Miami was up next. Hopefully we’ve gotten rid of that mindset that we have the complacency to overlook anyone on our schedule
With all the familiarity these two teams have with each other (staff, players, location, etc) and the fact that our next game is Syracuse I doubt this happens again 😂

If we lose, it won’t be because we overlook them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think it's perfectly relevant. Last year we couldn't win games week after week even against inferior opponents. How is it not relevant when we are in the exact same situation looking ahead toward GSU? The teams not going to suddenly implode when the AJC beat writer asks about how they are approaching this vs. last season
Key is clear. He is the head coach. He controls the narrative. Not the press. Not the fans.

He didn’t spend time under Saban for nothing, you know?

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I am of the opinion that the Bowling Green debacle of last year is a very good thing for this year‘s team. It will keep us hyper focused on practicing our butts off for Georgia State.
BGSU last year and MTSU in 2012 served as wake up calls and actually helped our team in the long run.

Without that MTSU loss the 2014 run probably doesn't happen.

Last year's BGSU loss sucked but we turned it around and salvaged the season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Key is clear. He is the head coach. He controls the narrative. Not the press. Not the fans.

He didn’t spend time under Saban for nothing, you know?
I don't think he is trying to control what the media says about GT. I think he is trying to control the culture of the team. If he tells the team to concentrate only on what they are doing right now, but is on the media talking about extraneous things, it looks hypocritical. When they are practicing, he wants a LB to learn what his responsibility on a certain call is. He wants that LB to know what to do in reaction to what the offense does. He wants that LB to know that without having to think about it. He doesn't want the LB to think about BG from last year and how disappointed everyone will be if we lose to GA State, instead of concentrating on what he has to do himself. I think he doesn't want to talk about it because he doesn't want such thoughts to trickle down to the players and change how they practice and perform.

I think Quinlan said on a Youtube live stream that Key had asked several reporters for feedback about his performance at press conferences in the last couple of years. Key strikes me as a detail oriented and method driven person. It appears that he is listing out his roles: Coach, mentor, PR guy, recruiter, etc. Then he is working on each of those to find out what he is doing well for that activity, and improve what he is not doing well at for that activity.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It all sounds good to me. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the week-in and week-out thing, we haven't seen that for a while.

If the same team that played last Saturday shows up, even with some bad bounces we should be OK.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he is trying to control what the media says about GT. I think he is trying to control the culture of the team. If he tells the team to concentrate only on what they are doing right now, but is on the media talking about extraneous things, it looks hypocritical. When they are practicing, he wants a LB to learn what his responsibility on a certain call is. He wants that LB to know what to do in reaction to what the offense does. He wants that LB to know that without having to think about it. He doesn't want the LB to think about BG from last year and how disappointed everyone will be if we lose to GA State, instead of concentrating on what he has to do himself. I think he doesn't want to talk about it because he doesn't want such thoughts to trickle down to the players and change how they practice and perform.

I think Quinlan said on a Youtube live stream that Key had asked several reporters for feedback about his performance at press conferences in the last couple of years. Key strikes me as a detail oriented and method driven person. It appears that he is listing out his roles: Coach, mentor, PR guy, recruiter, etc. Then he is working on each of those to find out what he is doing well for that activity, and improve what he is not doing well at for that activity.
Forgive me for not reading all of your post but your first sentence led me to believe you misunderstood my comment.

Let me try again. Key is the coach. Not the press. Not the fans. He is not going to let anyone else set the narrative for his team but him. He learned from Saban that you condition your team to listen to you and no one else, something Saban was very good at with rare exception. Key is not trying to set the press straight. He is not trying to set the fans straight. He is modeling the talking points for his team to hear.

This is exciting to me because this is how you establish the attitude in the locker room. This team is believing and trusting this coach and hanging on his every word. Yeah, I’m excited.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, we got handled by BOWLING GREEN less than a full calendar year ago. Brent Key was the head coach. Buster Faulkner was the OC. Haynes King was the QB etc. I get every year is a new year, but this is not ancient history. We have every reason to be worried until they prove otherwise. This week will show how much the program truly has grown. Last week was great, but we’ve beaten ranked teams with Key before. We still haven’t proven we can have that sustainable winning. It starts this week. Not trying to be negative, I believe they will start the sustainable winning this week, but I certainly don’t think questioning or worrying about this game is unfair.
is that team the same as this team?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess we can chalk that up to “agree to disagree”. I personally don’t think it’s out of line to ask a coach about what happened literally the last time we played a G5 team when preparing for another G5 team and asking how it will be different. Again, you guys act like it was ancient history. It was literally the last time we played a clearly inferior opponent and we had players admit they looked ahead. I think a simple “what are we doing to avoid that again” is perfectly fine.
what do you expect, exactly - "we were caught looking ahead. we might be doing that again, but I can't read the players minds?"

c'mon man, get real

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
what do you expect, exactly - "we were caught looking ahead. we might be doing that again, but I can't read the players minds?"

c'mon man, get real

Maybe read what I said and “get real” yourself lol. I’m not expecting anything from Key, which I’ve said a thousand times. I just am defending the questioning. We’ve lost our last three games against G5 opponents. Maybe those aren’t “this team”, but it’s definitely a trend for our program. I understand questioning it.