Game 2 Georgia State vs Georgia Tech Media

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think he is trying to control what the media says about GT. I think he is trying to control the culture of the team. If he tells the team to concentrate only on what they are doing right now, but is on the media talking about extraneous things, it looks hypocritical. When they are practicing, he wants a LB to learn what his responsibility on a certain call is. He wants that LB to know what to do in reaction to what the offense does. He wants that LB to know that without having to think about it. He doesn't want the LB to think about BG from last year and how disappointed everyone will be if we lose to GA State, instead of concentrating on what he has to do himself. I think he doesn't want to talk about it because he doesn't want such thoughts to trickle down to the players and change how they practice and perform.

I think Quinlan said on a Youtube live stream that Key had asked several reporters for feedback about his performance at press conferences in the last couple of years. Key strikes me as a detail oriented and method driven person. It appears that he is listing out his roles: Coach, mentor, PR guy, recruiter, etc. Then he is working on each of those to find out what he is doing well for that activity, and improve what he is not doing well at for that activity.
This is exactly what I expect from a head coach making 7 figures annually. Like it or not, there are parts of the job that involves more than X’s and O’s. Some of it may be unpleasant or difficult….managing staff and rosters, dealing with HS kids and recruiting, dealing with media, etc. But all of it is important and must be managed rather than ignored. Maybe if you are Saban or Bellichek you can brush some of it off or delegate it to others but the coaches in that fraternity can be counted on one hand.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that makes sense, and it works for me, but I think it’s valid if some fans would want a more direct answer. Again, for me, that answer can be just beating GSU, but I get why some might question.
I understand why the question was asked - it's a valid question. I also understand why he answered as he did. It's all good...

slugboy

Staff member
I understand why the question was asked - it's a valid question. I also understand why he answered as he did. It's all good...

I interpreted what Key said as “I have to coach players to do the right things the right way. There are uncountable ways of playing badly, and if we focus on that we will run out of time and we won’t get any better”