Game 2 Georgia State vs Georgia Tech Media

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Ga State supposed to be any good this year?

Complete unknown. They won 7 games and a bowl last year. But their HC unexpectedly resigned in the spring. They hired a coaching staff that most folks were impressed by. New HC is Dell McGee from GA, OC is Jim Chaney, DC is Kevin Sherrer. Lots of good experience on the staff. They brought in a bunch of good transfers. They have the pieces to be 'pretty good for a mid-G5 program'.

On paper, Tech should be the better team. They're 91st in 247s Team Talent rankings. (Tech is 46th.) Game 1 for the new staff for them. So, who knows how it turns out...

But, I'd say it's fair to be concerned since 'pretty good G5' opponents recently have been:
(2019 The Citadel* FCS L 24–27 OT)
2019 at Temple AAC L 2–24
2020 UCF AAC L 21–49
2021 NIU MAC L 21–22
2022 UCF AAC L 10–27
2023 BG MAC L 27–38
2024 GSU SB ?????

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Or if they had not made two forth down conversions. You can play it both ways.

JO said it better
Yes, but the difference is we very nearly made two serious unforced errors while the things you guys are referencing was them making plays, not getting lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I’m excited too, but we’ve played one game and are fresh off a season where we showed a habit of being up and down. I want to see us sustain success this year. Let’s start by taking care of State on Saturday.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is Ga State supposed to be any good this year?
Not particularly, according to this. But all I know is what I read in the papers...

"Again, as mentioned before, Georgia State usually finds a way to work its way through the weeds to get just enough wins to come up with a strong season.

This time around it’s going to be tough, and it's not because of the coaching change.

There are way too many lost parts, way too many things to fix..."

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Complete unknown. They won 7 games and a bowl last year. But their HC unexpectedly resigned in the spring. They hired a coaching staff that most folks were impressed by. New HC is Dell McGee from GA, OC is Jim Chaney, DC is Kevin Sherrer. Lots of good experience on the staff. They brought in a bunch of good transfers. They have the pieces to be 'pretty good for a mid-G5 program'.

On paper, Tech should be the better team. They're 91st in 247s Team Talent rankings. (Tech is 46th.) Game 1 for the new staff for them. So, who knows how it turns out...

But, I'd say it's fair to be concerned since 'pretty good G5' opponents recently have been:
2020 UCF AAC L 21–49
2021 NIU MAC L 21–22
2022 UCF AAC L 10–27
2023 BG MAC L 27–38
2024 GSU SB ?????

While UCF is technically right. That one isn't that bad seeing as they were pretty much a lock to join the big 12 even as early as 2020.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This year’s team has not lost to BOWLING GREEN. If you as a fan want to be worried about this year’s team playing Georgia State, that’s fine. However there’s no reason for anybody who’s actively preparing for Georgia State this week to answer questions about last year.

I guess we can chalk that up to “agree to disagree”. I personally don’t think it’s out of line to ask a coach about what happened literally the last time we played a G5 team when preparing for another G5 team and asking how it will be different. Again, you guys act like it was ancient history. It was literally the last time we played a clearly inferior opponent and we had players admit they looked ahead. I think a simple “what are we doing to avoid that again” is perfectly fine.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

2020 UCF AAC L 21–49
2021 NIU MAC L 21–22
2022 UCF AAC L 10–27
2023 BG MAC L 27–38
2024 GSU SB ?????
Thats awful to read and remember….ugh!

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I am of the opinion that the Bowling Green debacle of last year is a very good thing for this year‘s team. It will keep us hyper focused on practicing our butts off for Georgia State.
You are probably right and I hope you are! However, I don’t understand what we’ve accomplished since the BG game to think our program is above criticism, which seems to be the implication from a lot of posters in this thread.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You are probably right and I hope you are! However, I don’t understand what we’ve accomplished since the BG game to think our program is above criticism, which seems to be the implication from a lot of posters in this thread.
I get what you’re saying…
I don’t think there is an accomplishment that makes this team or this staff beyond criticism, but you’re kind of talking in a circle.
Yes, the BGSU game was a debacle all too recent but it was caused by failure to focus on the task at hand. Now there is a concerted effort… even a DEMAND… to not look ahead, not look behind, but to completely focus on the task at hand. Why is that wrong?

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
Besides the clunker at Clemson, we have looked like an extremely strong team the past 7 games or so. New year, new team, yeah I know

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I get what you’re saying…
I don’t think there is an accomplishment that makes this team or this staff beyond criticism, but you’re kind of talking in a circle.
Yes, the BGSU game was a debacle all too recent but it was caused by failure to focus on the task at hand. Now there is a concerted effort… even a DEMAND… to not look ahead, not look behind, but to completely focus on the task at hand. Why is that wrong?

I never said that was wrong, but I also don’t think it’s wrong to ask about it, which is what was implied by a few when this was brought up.

I don’t need an explanation. I frankly don’t care. My explanation can be the team dominating GSU Saturday. I just don’t believe the questioning is wrong and this has been an issue with our fanbase in the past.

patrickr21

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t mean this rudely, so I hope it doesn’t come across that way.

I don’t understand what there is to criticize at this point. We haven’t played the game yet.

Is the criticism that Key isn’t doing enough to prevent a re-BG?

In my opinion everything he has said to the press sounds right on. He said the team needs to learn from the previous weeks game, whether is was won or lost. Then flush out the distractions of that game (whether it was won or lost) and focus 100% on becoming better the next game and not looking beyond. Only worry about the things you can control in the moment.

You can’t make a single game bigger or smaller than any other.

This sounds like a great way to build consistency, and I would venture to guess he learned a lot of this from the most consistent coach in recent history.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I have heard him say it exactly this way, but what I get from what Key says is -- Concentrate on doing your assignment on this play. Don't worry about the current score. Don't worry about being burned on the last play. Don't worry about the last game. Don't worry about the next game. Don't worry about standings. On EVERY PLAY concentrate on doing your assignment on THAT PLAY to the best of your ability. --. I think that is what I saw in the FSU game.

I think that Key has/is installing a hard-grinding culture in the football team. The GT football team that I saw playing last Saturday didn't look like last year's team to me. It definitely didn't look like any of the teams under TFG. The team might fall flat on it's face on Saturday. However, I like what I see with the team and the team culture. I am going to make them prove that they aren't taking care of business to lose confidence in them, instead of making them prove that are what they appear to be to gain confidence.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mean this rudely, so I hope it doesn’t come across that way.

I don’t understand what there is to criticize at this point. We haven’t played the game yet.

Is the criticism that Key isn’t doing enough to prevent a re-BG?

In my opinion everything he has said to the press sounds right on. He said the team needs to learn from the previous weeks game, whether is was won or lost. Then flush out the distractions of that game (whether it was won or lost) and focus 100% on becoming better the next game and not looking beyond. Only worry about the things you can control in the moment.

You can’t make a single game bigger or smaller than any other.

This sounds like a great way to build consistency, and I would venture to guess he learned a lot of this from the most consistent coach in recent history.

Not taken rudely at all. I agree with all of that. My beef is the idea of the questioning being inherently wrong because it’s a new year new team etc. I think it’s fine to question the past until past mistakes are fixed. That’s all I’m saying.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I never said that was wrong, but I also don’t think it’s wrong to ask about it, which is what was implied by a few when this was brought up.
I get it.
It’s a a valid question.
I think the “dodge” of saying we’re not looking back is in fact the answer / acknowledgement.
The failure to focus on the task at hand is what we’ve targeted as the culprit.
Are we right? Is this the correct approach? Good heavens I hope so.

Analogy:
We”re in a river, flailing… fighting for a branch, a rock or to angle toward the shore. How much effort do we need to invest at this moment analyzing how we fell in the river in the first place?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I get it.
It’s a a valid question.
I think the “dodge” of saying we’re not looking back is in fact the answer / acknowledgement.
The failure to focus on the task at hand is what we’ve targeted as the culprit.
Are we right? Is this the correct approach? Good heavens I hope so.

Analogy:
We”re in a river, flailing… fighting for a branch, a rock or to angle toward the shore. How much effort do we need to invest at this moment analyzing how we fell in the river in the first place?

Yeah, that makes sense, and it works for me, but I think it’s valid if some fans would want a more direct answer. Again, for me, that answer can be just beating GSU, but I get why some might question.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that makes sense, and it works for me, but I think it’s valid if some fans would want a more direct answer. Again, for me, that answer can be just beating GSU, but I get why some might question.
Understood.
I said in another post (who knows where at this point) that I think our real proof of concept is next week at Syracuse. We’ve harped on consistency for 9 months and this week is the first and obvious challenge. Next week we could be ranked, could be pretty proud of ourselves, and we’re heading to a tough place to play and facing a conference opponent. A 90% effort could be a MUCH bigger issue.
I still have the question/ apprehension, but if the solution is focus on the task at hand, I won’t divert effort!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Besides the clunker at Clemson, we have looked like an extremely strong team the past 7 games or so. New year, new team, yeah I know
Offensively, there is a whole lot of continuity with last season. Defensively, there is little to none. We have a clear offensive identity, but the defensive identity is still being written. This week will add to it.